Pyle E7 (Fiio OEM) vs. E11/E10 combo.
Mar 11, 2012 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jon08192

New Head-Fier
So I own a RE0 IEM set and I just preordered a Brainwavz HM5.  I'm now looking into ampage for them (not that I'm going to necessarily by them right away, but I'm thinking ahead).

Right now I have a Fiio E1 line out cable for my iPod Classic and a Realtek HD Sound driver in my laptop.  I want to be able to listen to my music both off of my computer and off of my iPod with superior sound quality.

Would it make more sense for me to buy the E7 OEM and use it as a mediocre amp/good dac and then later on purchase an E9 or E11 to drive the line level output, or should I go straight for an E10 out of my laptop and add an E11 later?

To me it seems Pros for E7 before E10/E11: I'll be able to have a DAC and Amp at the same time.  Good charge time. Upgrade with E9 is potentially very good.  Buying E10 first = no portability but buying E11 first would involve double amping my computer.  Also, much much cheaper ($60)

Cons: Amp is mediocre in quality.  E10 DAC is better.  Pyle rebrand may suck in build quality. 

Thoughts?

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 11
I would just skip that and since you seem to be into IEM's get the Leckerton UHA-4 which has a digital volume control allowing for no channel imbalance at low levels and it has a 16bit/44kHz DAC (I believe it goes up to that qualtiy).

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 11
I have RE0 IEM's, but I've just preordered a Brainwavz HM5 which is a fullsize headphone (Fischer Fa - 003 remake).

Also, isn't the E17 expensive and a little higher end?  I'd get it, but I figured the price wouldn't be worth looking at. :O

EDIT: My God, I'm uninformed.  Fiio E17 looks like it's a great deal at a great price.  However, I did just spend $130 on the HM5.  I'll possibly wait for a little bit before dropping the extra $150 on the E17. 

I'll be able to survive on the principle of "Can't miss what you've never had".  I've never had a DAC or a nice amp so I can't miss em.  Yet...  My wallet thanks you, Head-Fi.

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 11
I guess the E17 would be an intermediate step between the E7 and the Leckerton UHA-4.  

However, if you really want more mobility and haven't had experience with a 24/96 kHz DAC, imo it's not worth it although it may be for you.  Personally I have ZERO 24/96 music so I honestly don't need anything beyond a 16/44kHz DAC. 

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 11
"To make it short and sweet, I'll say E17 shares a large portion of its sound with E10, both on headphone-out as well as line-out. It is largely neutral but slightly on the warm side. It shouldn't be too surprising as the USB receiver (Tenor TE7022) and DAC chip (WM8740) are the same between the two. I have however detected a small difference between the amp section. Mainly that E17 sounds more airy and better layered compared to E10, which gives it a slightly better clarity. While difference isn't anything night and day, it is still an improvement, especially on how E17 handles soundstage. I also tried the Optical-in with my Sony Discman (which has an optical-out) and the improvement (from the Discman's headphone-out) is just great. Far better than pairing the same Discman with FiiO D3 + 3MOVE as D3 is probably the limiting factor there."

Straight from the review by ClieOS, thanks ClieOS!

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #8 of 11
D3 is not a particularly great DAC. It is designed to be used with slim TV and game consoles (where many doesn't have line-out but digital-out) and not supposed to deliver audiophile level SQ. It will do its job to get allow analog sound, but don't expect to be any where as good as E17.

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #9 of 11
THank you very much.  You've been extremely helpful and I think I've made a decision to go with the E17 when I choose to upgrade.  First, I'm going to let the HM5 come in and see if I like it w/out an amp.  Post that, I'll decide when my wallet and my ears are ready for an upgrade.  I appreciate it!

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 11

​My Fiio is albumming but set on shuffle. Why?

You can start by telling us what your 'FiiO' is. They do make more than one product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back