PX100's to SR60's
Jan 20, 2009 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Sutton

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade my portable headphones from Sennheiser PX100's to a Grado SR60 or something of similar price point. I already have a decent home set up with HD650's so portable use is the only concern, I'm not looking for anything too expensive or amazing sound, just something that is 'fun' to listen to on the move.

My source will be an Ipod touch, I will never use a portable amp.

Keep in mind that in the UK SR60's retail at £80 ($110) so are not as cheap as they are in the USA. Are they still competitive at this price point? Grado SR225's cost more than HD650's over here!
frown.gif

Note: I don't like IEM's as I hate taking them out all the time to talk to people, and my environment is not that noisy so open cans are probably fine, closed would be a bonus. I will not go over £80, this budget is final.

Thanks,

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 21
I actually prefer the px100 to the SR60. The SR60 is technically better but the upper mid and treble boost makes them unbearably bright and harsh for me. The Alessandro MS-1 is a bit better in this regard and is $99. It is also technically superior as its based on the SR125. Just be aware that the MS-1 is still going to sound very bright (and maybe harsh) coming from the px100 and it is a bit large for portable use in my opinion.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually prefer the px100 to the SR60. The SR60 is technically better but the upper mid and treble boost makes them unbearably bright and harsh for me. The Alessandro MS-1 is a bit better in this regard and is $99. It is also technically superior as its based on the SR125. Just be aware that the MS-1 is still going to sound very bright (and maybe harsh) coming from the px100 and it is a bit large for portable use in my opinion.

x2 but the MS-1 will mellow out with burn-in, and then become a very transparent and smooth natural headphone for the price. Much better than SR-60 unless you re-cable and woody the SR-60 (been there done that).

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 21
If you like grado sound, buy the one you proposed. Grados are really hard to find + expensive on Europe (talking about NEW)

For some people they are "very" bright, i don't think so. I have tried sr60, sr80, sr125, sr225 & rs2. The brightest for me has been the sr125.

If you want something similar to grado sound go for MS-1, i haven't heard them, but people say it is not the same.

Damn Grado and his expensive prices in europe

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS-1 are $99 shipped to anywhere in the world.

Is this the official site?

Alessandro High-End Products

Just want to be sure as it doesn't look that professionally made and my browser gave me a security certificate warning.

Do the MS-1's have a decent amount of clamping force to stay on the head while walking? And how close is their sound to the official Grado's?

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 21
OP, please tell what kind of music you will be using these with.

Um. PX100. Alot more convienient. SR60's are really only supposed to be exceptional for rock. Grado is ugly and uncomfortable.

Other suggestions: AKG K81, K181, K518, or any Koss "pros" series.

Personally, I wouldn't blow so much on something you're likely to upgrade.

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 21
Having heard both PX100s (I own them) and SR60s (briefly at a meet) I wouldn't necessarily consider going from the former to the latter an 'upgrade.' To my ears, of course.

Have you thought about ES7s?

Jan 20, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just want to be sure as it doesn't look that professionally made and my browser gave me a security certificate warning.

Do the MS-1's have a decent amount of clamping force to stay on the head while walking? And how close is their sound to the official Grado's?

Yes, thats their website. Alessandro is really lacking in his internet service. Old site with old certificates, almost zero email support, but they ship your headphones ASAP if they have one in stock or until they get shipment from Grado labs.

Jan 20, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP, please tell what kind of music you will be using these with.

Um. PX100. Alot more convienient. SR60's are really only supposed to be exceptional for rock. Grado is ugly and uncomfortable.

Other suggestions: AKG K81, K181, K518, or any Koss "pros" series.

Personally, I wouldn't blow so much on something you're likely to upgrade.

I completely disagree with you. First grado is exceptional with rock, but sounds very good with classical (that i listen to) and jazz (other members do)

Grado is not ugly, for me it isn't. Depends on each person, they are just retro style, or better said they are grado style. The igrados are the only exception.
They are not uncomfortable. I study with them on my head for 4 hours without taking them. Once you find the fit they are perfect. (I use them with bowls and have sensitive ears.

Hope that when you decide you like what you get! I did with my grado sr225s

Jan 20, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 21
x3 on the MS-1.

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is the site - they haven't updated the certificate in a while, but it works.

They sound like a more refined version of Grado's SR-80, but the family resemblance is definitely there. They have a similar tonality and smoothness to the the RS-2 which sounded somewhat similar but warmer and richer in the vocals. To make a big jump ahead of the MS-1 you have to go all the way up to the RS-1, although the SR-225, SR-325i and RS-2 are incremental improvements between those. For the price the MS-1 are a steal.

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #14 of 21
I'm glad I'm not alone! I don't think the SR60s are an upgrade from the PX100s either. At least, it wouldn't be much of an upgrade (if at all) at UK prices. So, here's another vote of MS-1, or something else altogether.

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #15 of 21
A Poll would be much better in this sitch.

Stick with PX100
Upgrade to SR60
Upgrade to ES7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back