px100 vs portapro's?
Aug 19, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by painly
where are the porta's 57? a&b is 68 and future shop is 75.

lmk, thanks.

im more interested in a crisp intrikat top end.

whoa fubar! they're 39.99 @ future shop

Aug 19, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
they were thinking: "hey, these would go great with parachute pants and members only jackets!"

shoot son, i hav protapros, parachutes pant and...darn no members only jacket (gotta make 1)

i dont mind the portapros but bass can get annoying and headachey

Aug 19, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
I think PX100 is clearly better. More balanced sound. Porta Pro's emphasize bass so much that it makes me feel sick.

Not clearly better. Subjectively better maybe.

You must have a weak stomach. Two words: Toughen up

For all the haters, IMO the portaPro's look cool. Regardless they are unique. The PX100's, look pretty standard. Well you could say they look like silver wheels mounted to a headband...I guess that is cool.

Aug 19, 2005 at 8:39 AM Post #35 of 48
Most of you seem to prefer that neutral senn sound. Where are the thousands that contributed at the KSC 75 apreciation thread ?
These fine (but ugly) Portapros get beaten too much here IMHO.

Aug 19, 2005 at 10:29 AM Post #36 of 48
I have both. Haven't really tried these two side by side, and I'm not one who remembers how they sound that well, so I wouldn't comment on the sound part.

For design, I hv no opinion as well, cos its a very personal thing.

But when it comes to portability, I must stick to PX100. Not that PortaPro is not small enuf, but its simply too difficult to fit into the little bag that comes with it. I rather be using the plastic case provided by Senns for PX100. Try keeping PortaPro in the bag, it a hell of a frustrating experience...

Aug 19, 2005 at 11:51 AM Post #37 of 48
PX100's by a mile. What PATU said, much more balanced/neutral/real sounding. Porta's if you are a bass head. That's all I heard when I put them on. I could not believe how bad they sounded. They went straight back to CC. I think the PX100's have a great synergy with iPod's. Set the EQ to JAZZ and let your mind roll on.

Aug 19, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #38 of 48
One more for the Px100's. I also prefer them over the Porta's and the value of their foldability cannot be underestimated. They do have a great synergy with the Ipod. I had a Philips HD player before the Ipod and they didnt sound as good. The Jazz EQ setting matches the PX100's well. Amazon has them for $39 USD with free shipping.

PS I have a set of HD485's on the way from amazon.

Jun 21, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #39 of 48
I just recently purchased both the PX 100's and the Portapro's in that order.Both are excellent sounding headphones and are easily worth purchasing.I finished side by side comparisons,plugged into my Klipsch 2.1 Promedias with an Auzentech Prelude sound card.Both have equally good 3D soundstaging.But the Portapro's are more accurrate in sound reproduction.Especially the low end.Kick drums,bass and snare drums,sound awesomely detailed and punchy.I thought the PX 100's had better highs,but when i turned down the bass in the equalizer,(surprizingly)i have to say the portapro's are more realistic.At first i thought the Portapro's for bass and the PX 100's for highs and equaled with mids.But you have to use an equalizer to hear that the Portapro's are amazing sounding cans for the money.(for those who say too much bass,TURN DOWN THE BASS!)I would compare them to the Grado SR60's, which are better!I recently plugged them into my Harmon Kardon receiver with a Yamaha CD player and WOW!This is where they truly shine(especially with Rock music)If they were a little more prominent in the highs,they would be almost perfect.Now for comfort.The PX 100's!They are feather light and you can forget that they are on your head.Looks wise?Alot of people say the Portapro's are ugly.But i really like the retro look.Portability?the PX 100's again for their innovative folding up compactness.So i would have to say sound wise the Portapro's are an amazing bargain.I would say definitely the best for under a $100(besides the Grado SR60's if on sale).I think alot of so called "audiophiles" give them unfair reviews and do not figure in the fact that they are $60 headphones that blow away cans that cost twice as much.They haven't been around since the 80's unchanged for no reason!

Jun 22, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #40 of 48
PX100: Very comfortable, great design, pleasent neutral sound.

PP: Better low bass extension, too much maybe, but if you like hardhitting bass for little money, these are the ones to buy.

I soundwise prefer the Porta Pro's, but overall, the Senn's is a better buy IMO.

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #41 of 48
i prefer Portapro...
wink.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #42 of 48
PORTA PRO. 'nuff said.
I mean, if y'all are into full studio-grade reproduction and hit the portapro due to it's bassy signature, then why on earth have this discussion? none of these will be close to full reproduction anyways. i just prefer the portapro. it's bassy, but doesnt mud out the detail. the senns sound like amplified stock buds, with better separation between channels than the stock of course, but still very neutral. which is why they almost still sound the same after using them for 50 hours. i like the pros cause when they get burned in, they sound great, not to mention that they already sound crystal clear and sparkly out-of-the-box to begin with. clarity on all facets plus a little punch to get the blood rushing.
the looks? they're freakin unique, and i'd rather be seen wearing something semi-different-looking than be in a crowd where everyone looks the same with their senns. NO TO THE STATUS QUO! har har har! my only qualm about the design is that it snags on your hair sometimes, but i can live with it for that great KOSS sound.

Jul 5, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #43 of 48
I cannot make the comparision, but I am very happy with my Porta-pros. They are light and sound very nice. I hadn't used them for a while, relying on the supplied IEM and a set of lightweight Sony cans. The Sonys were muddled and the music undefined. Pulling out the Porta-pros shocked me as far as how much better they sounded than the Sonys and Pioneer Inno IEM. I actually believed that the output of the portable XM receiver was poor. The Porta-pros showed me otherwise.

Some might think that the look and ability to fold are gimmicky, but in practice, the design functions well.

Jul 5, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #44 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think PX100 is clearly better. More balanced sound. Porta Pro's emphasize bass so much that it makes me feel sick.

Heh, funny to read this old post of mine.

I now own Porta Pro and I like it much better than my old PX100. I'm not sure what it is but now Porta Pro simply sounds so much better. More balanced, cleaner highs, clearer sound and less bass. I'm not sure why it's like this because when I first compared these two the differences were quite similar but vice versa. Porta Pro had more bassy and muffled sound. My PX100 is quite old already (bought -04) so I'm not sure if time has done something to them. They've been with very light use though.

Now I rund them through iPod Nano 3G and back then I used portable Sony CDP (D-NE700 IIRC).

Jul 5, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #45 of 48
I'll stay with the PX100's forever. These are the ones that sound more accurate and neutral. The KPP's sound is sweetened and there is a lot of emptiness between the sounds in the Porta Pros - same with the KSC35's which I sold as well. The PX100's sonic world is continuous and coherent. KPP's are surely fun headphones but the PX100 are just more thruthful, without spicing up the sound. That's why it is more difficult to listen to low quality files on them while on the KPP's you get the same, their own timbre. The PX100 gratify you much when you upload some mp3 320kb/s or lossless files to your DAP, and then the midrange is colorful, endorsing, real and convincing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back