px100 vs portapro
Jul 11, 2005 at 5:30 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Have you tried listening to more exciting music?

jk
smily_headphones1.gif

I listen to slipknot with both pairs

Jul 11, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #17 of 27
personally i prefer the smoother sound and the warmer bass of the px100s to the impact and "zing" of the portapro drivers

Jul 11, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwarzenneger
since when are looks more important than sound
rolleyes.gif

Although I agree sound is much more important, looks still play a big factor.. especially for people like me, highschool students.

I love my PX100s, I like the way they look too (although I've had alot of other people disagree), I believe their look is more of an aquired taste I guess..

Jul 11, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
So is it a general consensus, KSC-35 >> PX100 >> PortaPro >> SportaPro?

Yes it is from now
tongue.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
You wouldn't like how they look.

I can't tell if that's a smartass comment or not...

I saw a woman wearing PX100s walking down the street in Somerville, MA, and they looked nice enough. They didn't really call attention to themselves, so that works for me too.

Jul 11, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #23 of 27
I sound like a complainer but I recently bought the Sennheiser PX 100s from both Amazon.com and later Headphone.com and found that there was a treble harshness that did not smooth out and a rather thin sounding bass that did not come into bloom even after some extensive break in time. I have two older pair of the PX 100s that sound great so I can't figure out what is going on. I am currently buying a used pair from a seller on Sale/Trade forum in hopes that they will have the traditional sound of the two pair of PX 100s that I now have. Having been through that rant, the PX 100s are the better sounding headphone with better articulation in the bass, mids, and a pretty good treble. Things like voices and guitars get a better treatment with the PX 100s than the Porta Pros. The Porta Pros are good also. I have probably 3 pair lying around. I use one pair with my Dell Pocket DJ and found that if I EQ the 800 hz band up just two notches that the bass is more in line with the other frequencies and some of the tubbiness on certain vocal parts gets cleaned up and bass guitar parts are a bit better defined. I do not use EQ at all on my Sennheisers. At this point I would say though "look for some used PX 100s." Hopefully my experience was perhaps a production glitch.

Jul 11, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #25 of 27
Both are great, however I like my PX100s a little better due to a clearer, more refined sound. The extra bass with the Portapros is nice though. Slightly off topic: I'd take my AKG K26P over both of them, deep bass like the portapro but with a more forward presentation.

Jul 11, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
Both are great, however I like my PX100s a little better due to a clearer, more refined sound. The extra bass with the Portapros is nice though. Slightly off topic: I'd take my AKG K26P over both of them, deep bass like the portapro but with a more forward presentation.

Although off topic, how would you characterize the sound of the AKG K26Ps? I have been considering an alternative to the PX 100s. How does it handle midrange information like voices? How does it handle fine detail and so forth?
Is there midrange coloration to a noticable degree? Off topic I know but I am interested.

Jul 12, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #27 of 27
I prefer the PX100 over the PortaPros, both for sound and comfort. For my head, the small metal hook on the PortaPros would hit part of my ear at times and I didn't like that feeling. Also, the PortaPros seem to be tighter than the PX100. Maybe my head and ears are too big.
rolleyes.gif
I love the KSC-35's, though, mostly because they are so much smaller than the PX100's even when they are folded up in their case. I probably use the KSC-35's more than the PX100's because of this reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back