PX100 or HD25 or HD280 or Grado etc etc
Sep 18, 2007 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

CBS

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm enjoying all this sound spending...

Curiously I listened to a Bose Triport OE (the little ones) and was impressed with how much more spatial the sound appears in comparison to my IEM's (which have their place.)

I am looking for another pair of portable headphones with SQ being my first requirement, than comfort.

So far I have been researching the following:

PX100's
HD280 Pro
AKG 26P
HD 25's
Bose triport OE

or a Grado possibly

I also prefer listening to music, at lower volumes with clarity, but if an open design substantially sounds better than I am open to that tooo.

Your advice is appreciated.

PS any local dealers near Richmond,VA as I'm not one for waiting online...

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by CBS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi I'm enjoying all this sound spending...

Curiously I listened to a Bose Triport OE (the little ones) and was impressed with how much more spatial the sound appears in comparison to my IEM's (which have their place.)

I am looking for another pair of portable headphones with SQ being my first requirement, than comfort.

So far I have been researching the following:

PX100's
HD280 Pro
AKG 26P
HD 25's
Bose triport OE
or a Grado possibly

I also prefer listening to music, at lower volumes with clarity, but if an open design substantially sounds better than I am open to that tooo.

Your advice is appreciated.

PS any local dealers near Richmond,VA as I'm not one for waiting online...

To get a good answer, you should let people know what music you're listening to, what your source is (i.e. iPod or home stereo, etc.), and what environment you'll be listening in (i.e. noisy or quiet, traveling or at home, etc.)

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 21
IPOD 1G Nano, Laptop --- however I may amp up if needed in future, But any of the above would benefit from amping...

walking around town mostly, than kicking back in my hotel room.

Music: World Music, Spanish, Rock, Jazz, Classical, Metal, 70's 80's, R&B, Motown, Pink Floyd, ( so pretty much everything - even some Rap and Country song thrown in just for good merit ),, oy ya and an odd dose of Bill Hicks. :wink:

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 21
Sounds like you'd probably want them to be pretty portable. I have found the PX100s to be great portable headphones because they're lightweight, comfortable, and they fold up (even come with a durable little box). And they have some of the best SQ in the sub $50 phones. Most people think Grado SR 60s sound better, but they're more expensive and they'd be awkward to walk around with (some might disagree). I haven't heard most of the other phones, but you might want to consider the need to block out sound when you're out walking around, so that you don't have to listen at high volume levels.

There was a comparison review a while back comparing sealed headphones that cost less than $150. If you're willing to stretch your budget, one of these might work well for you. You can read through the thread here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=252485

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 21
Hi!

At this price range an open headphone should sounds better than a closed one, but all is a question of tastes.

I like how my HD-25 sounds from every mp3's headphone out that I've listening, but for walking by the street I'd think in a closed PX (if size is a determinant factor, because the HD25 should sounds better than the PX100)

I think that the best thing you can do is to go with your iPod to a store wich had theese headphones you have mentioned and to listen them.

Maybe, other thing to consider is that the HD25 is almost indestructible.

Good luck!

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 21
I personally hate the HD-280s. I have a set and even after 100s of hours of burn-in they sound like crap. They are like vice-clamps on my head and cannot take even the power of my iPod without clipping like crazy. Why they are highly regarded is a mystery to me. For your ipod I would recommend the Sony MDR-710LP. I have them and they are, IMO, a cross between the open PX-100s and the closed PX-200s. In other words, you get the bass from the PX100 and the isolation of the PX200 and they are very sturdy.

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 21
It might be best to buy two sets of portable just to try out the different house sounds available. The iGrado will give you a taste of the Grado sound while the PX100s will give you a general taste of the Senn sound. From there, you will probably prefer one sound and then go up the line with either manufacturer. Both portables are excellent and are relatively inexpensive for the sound they give.

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 21
Most portable of them are px100s, they still have good sound quality without being to much big. Isolation will be very helpful in listening, but personally i didn't fell much discomfort when listening px100 in my enviroment.

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 21
Depends on what you mean by portable. Both the HD-280 and PX-100 are portable but in completely different ways.

If you need something small, lightweight, in a neat package you can toss in a bag without fear of becoming damaged, the PX-100 are great. Keep in mind these do not keep out outside noises, which can be a big pain if you ride public transportation, etc.

If you don't care about something taking up quite a bit more space, and you want to keep outside noises out, the SQ on the HD-280 is far better IMO. Also "portable" because they fold up and are quite durable thrown into your bags.

Personally I hope to get some HD-25 because they sort of fit nicely in between the other two in terms of quality and portability, but I can't recommend them as I haven't had enough time with them yet.

--Chris

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 21
Sony MDR-710LP --- Hmm a headset I have actually seen in stores / unlike all the aforementioned.

How many of ya - all, have no problem wearing full size closed cans on the go, and forgo portability (which can be relative ) for Better Sound ?????

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #11 of 21
I wear full sized cans on the go, it's especially nice during the winter (ear muffs!). Unless I'm thinking of different headphones, I don't see how the MDR-710LP can be considered even in the same league as PX100s, which would be my personal pick for a portable headphone. Another option might be some iGrados. If you want closed though, have a look at the AKG K81 dj.

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #12 of 21
Well, I went out to my local friendly neighborhood Best Buy, and bought the Sony 710Lp's.

Firstly looking for a portable alternative to my IEM's --- THE Sony's were 65 vs 99 for my SE110's. The sony's have much more presence and Bass... I am convinced this is due to the basic nature of in ear or out of ear headphone design and limitation.

I have 30's days to return them... If I can find a hi-fi store that sells the PX100 I'll try those out.

Basshead::::::: As above, I've rarely seen any of the headphones mentioned on head-fi in a brick and mortar store. How would the AKG's you suggested compare to a Sony MDR 7506 (which i am sure is more available - ie sony stores. Also would the PX100 sound better than the AKG's due to being open ?

Cheers

PS:::::: I'm on the road alot, so ordering online is inconvenient.

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #13 of 21
I use my HD 25-1's all most exclusively out and about, and they are perfect for my requirements; a sturdy headphone thats both portable and sounds good to boot.

I love it's sound, and it's extremely easy to drive from any source, and whenever I don't use it, I just move the earcups upwards towards the headband and throw it in a bag. I've been using it like this for nearly 6 months now, and they've proven to be virtually indestructible.

On the other hand, I've also used my SR-60's outside, and while they're nice phones, they leak sound like a seef and it's pretty annoying as anyone can hear what I\m listening to, and I can hear everyone else. Definitely not recommended for portable usage.

A friend of mine has some PX200's, and while they sound decent they don't isolate at all. He loves them though, whatever floats his boat.

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #14 of 21
Sorry for missing what you had said previously about needing to find the headphones in brick and mortar stores. Sennheiser's are generally readily available in stores (I know some Circuit City's even, at least here in the states that sell the entry level models). The Sony's you mentioned are pretty good, especially if you're looking for closed headphones, that may be your best bet if you want something readily available in stores.

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

They are like vice-clamps on my head and cannot take even the power of my iPod without clipping like crazy.

Ahem... headphones clip when source isnt able to FED them enough enough power...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back