PX100-II Review | Discussion Thread
Feb 5, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #693 of 734
  Has anyone tried grado pads to reduce the bass and get more clarity?

I haven't but those are precisely the areas of sound that the HD 414 pads address. Plus, they're yellow.

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #694 of 734

I haven't but those are precisely the areas of sound that the HD 414 pads address. Plus, they're yellow.

They're ugly, but if you put them over the stock pads, they sound amazing. It's crazy how much wider the soundstage becomes. You will also prob need a proper amp, as they become harder to hear at low volumes.

Feb 13, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #695 of 734
They're gorgeous.

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #696 of 734
I don't think HD414 pads are ugly, quite beautiful actually
biggrin.gif
, but PX-100ii really scales well with amp. I'm always surprised of soundstage, details, and Especially bass when I plug them in my desktop headphone amp Taga Harmony THDA-500T. They sound so full-headphone like that I actually don't even use my full size phones too often. PX-100ii rules!
biggrin.gif
Btw, while soundstage can't quite match with open full sized phones (obiviously), I feel I'm "connected" better with music on PX100ii. It's a kind of magic, and that is why I love PX100ii so much. It's like when soundstage is too airy and wide, I feel music escapes from me
biggrin.gif
, if that makes sense
rolleyes.gif

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #698 of 734
Have to push back on the claim that the PX 100-II comes anywhere near the HD650. I've owned the PX for more than 2 years. It's an enjoyable headphone for a lot of pop music, hip hop and stuff like that. I was playing the featured playlist on Tidal yesterday and everything sounded pretty darn good. They have a smooth, chocolaty sound with a nice soundstage for pop songs. But if you listen to a lot of classical, like I do, then forget it. What sounds smooth & chocolaty with hip hop becomes muddy & congested on orchestral. And while chamber music doesn't sound too bad, some instruments, like the harpsichord, totally lack the sparkle I get on, say, the HD 280.  

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #699 of 734
  Have to push back on the claim that the PX 100-II comes anywhere near the HD650. I've owned the PX for more than 2 years. It's an enjoyable headphone for a lot of pop music, hip hop and stuff like that. I was playing the featured playlist on Tidal yesterday and everything sounded pretty darn good. They have a smooth, chocolaty sound with a nice soundstage for pop songs. But if you listen to a lot of classical, like I do, then forget it. What sounds smooth & chocolaty with hip hop becomes muddy & congested on orchestral. And while chamber music doesn't sound too bad, some instruments, like the harpsichord, totally lack the sparkle I get on, say, the HD 280.  

Greetings! Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry but I fail to see the logic in your post. From the tone at the start of your post I thought you were going to suggest the HD 650 was good at classical (it's not) but you actually go on to use the HD 280 as a comparison. Bizarre.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #701 of 734
I wonder if there's anything similar to PX100 that's wireless. 

I need one for music editing, where I don't want wires tangled up while I lay around with the laptop. Anything out there?

Apr 18, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #704 of 734
I can only agree.......3 years after I stood on my original PX 100 mk 1, I came back to these headphones again and ordered the mk2 version which has just arrived today. MY order for these was in no small part due to your FANTASTIC review, and thoughts of these headphones (probably the best review I have ever seen in the way, detail and objective passion that it has been written.
Anyway I have just written my review on Amazon, I'm waiting for it to be processed and I would like to share it with you once it has.
To sum up.......I really believe the size of these headphones gets in the way of "audiophiles" been able to truly appreciate what Sennheiser have been able to do with these headphones, especially regarding the quality and accuracy achieved by these headphones......... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back