PX100-II Review | Discussion Thread
Mar 16, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #346 of 734
  I like the PX100II, especially the (folding) form factor,
but I prefer the sound and comfort of the Koss PortaPro.

I have the KSC35 with head band mod.  From what I have read it has/shares the same driver as the Sportapro/Portapro.   I do enjoy it very much, but I go for the PX100 (old) more often.  I find the PX100 to have more high end detail, better sub bass extension, and less grain.  Still in the same class.  Love the KSC's for rock.  All IMO of course
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #347 of 734

Kinda sorta...they tinkered with the bass an threw things slightly off balance.   The bass sounds a little more bloated and it bleeds into the mids a little bit.

I much prefer the original version.  I bought some PX100-IIs right before the new PX100 -- I now use them as my beater headphone...I don't really care care what happens to it.  On the other hand, I treat the new PX100 better than my HD800.

Never thought about that, the two foam supports in the headband is starting to wear off on mine.  Ever tried putting the PX100IIs through an EQ...the Ipod has a straight up bass reduction EQ that came in real handy...in fact that was when I started to question the true merits of the PX100 over both my K701 and HD650 with 3K dacs and 1K amps.

Quote:
  I don't know about this, guys. I mean I love my PX 100-II and I'll suck on its teat all day long, but better than an HD 600 or HD 650 in terms of sound quality? It's a bit of an exaggeration.

Never heard series II...but Porta pros and PX100s no exaggeration.  There are two measurements that has since emerged to back what I say...Impulse response and 300hz slew rates - check them on innerfidelity.

My review here...before inner fidelity existed, before I had any clue about measurements.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/476388/px100-vs-hd595-vs-se530-ipod-6g-review

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #348 of 734
  I have the KSC35 with head band mod.  From what I have read it has/shares the same driver as the Sportapro/Portapro.   I do enjoy it very much, but I go for the PX100 (old) more often.  I find the PX100 to have more high end detail, better sub bass extension, and less grain.  Still in the same class.  Love the KSC's for rock.  All IMO of course
biggrin.gif

I was a huge fan of the PX100's, but eventually grew tired of the issues with the cable.
After a few months, it would start cutting out at random.  Very irritating.
The sound, though, was terrific.  Much better IMO than the PX!00II's.
IIRC they were more comfortable than the PX100II's as well.

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #349 of 734
  Never heard series II...but Porta pros and PX100s no exaggeration.  There are two measurements that has since emerged to back what I say...Impulse response and 300hz slew rates - check them on innerfidelity.

My review here...before inner fidelity existed, before I had any clue about measurements.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/476388/px100-vs-hd595-vs-se530-ipod-6g-review

I suppose it's all subjective, but IMO, in no way is the Porta Pro or the PX 100-II anywhere close to the level of sound quality you get out of the HD 600/650. Neither of them extend as well in either direction, resolve details as good, or provide the type of soundstage and separation that the HD 600/650 do. No doubt, the PP and PX are some of the most incredibly impressive headphones I have ever tried, but they aren't HD 600/650 good. I don't care what the measurements say. My ears and what I believe would be the vastly large majority of ears here who could listen to them side by side would easily be able to see which can's sonics are of higher quality.

I get this is the PX 100-II appreciation thread, but let's not be blindly in love with them.

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #350 of 734
  I suppose it's all subjective, but IMO, in no way is the Porta Pro or the PX 100-II anywhere close to the level of sound quality you get out of the HD 600/650. Neither of them extend as well in either direction, resolve details as good, or provide the type of soundstage and separation that the HD 600/650 do. No doubt, the PP and PX are some of the most incredibly impressive headphones I have ever tried, but they aren't HD 600/650 good. I don't care what the measurements say. My ears and what I believe would be the vastly large majority of ears here who could listen to them side by side would easily be able to see which can's sonics are of higher quality.

I get this is the PX 100-II appreciation thread, but let's not be blindly in love with them.

I'm not hyping anything up...I share my experience and that is what I heard...however to get realism requires a minimum volume...the HD650 can reach this minimum with no extra distortion...the PX100s cannot.  Therefore the PX100 can never sound as realistic as the HD650 to my ears. 

However at moderately matched volume I stick to what I say...because that is what I hear.  Remember price does not equal sound quality always - I was shocked when I first heard a stock T50RP for 80 bucks and knew right away the potential in those drivers...and that was well before the T50RP mod craze.  I was also quick to realise the Shure SE530 had bass that flogged my other references before I knew measurements showed that they would.

Mar 17, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #351 of 734

I'm not hyping anything up...I share my experience and that is what I heard...however to get realism requires a minimum volume...the HD650 can reach this minimum with no extra distortion...the PX100s cannot.  Therefore the PX100 can never sound as realistic as the HD650 to my ears. 

However at moderately matched volume I stick to what I say...because that is what I hear.  Remember price does not equal sound quality always - I was shocked when I first heard a stock T50RP for 80 bucks and knew right away the potential in those drivers...and that was well before the T50RP mod craze.  I was also quick to realise the Shure SE530 had bass that flogged my other references before I knew measurements showed that they would.

I agree with you on your point about price. I'm just saying my own impressions are greatly different from yours. Maybe it has to do with the listening levels. I don't feel like I have to have high volume levels to get what I need out of cans and I still think they are in completely different classes. Whatever the case, the PX 100-II is an impressive can. It's an interesting take and I appreciate your impressions.

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #352 of 734
No way the px100 is bstter than the 650 technically. Subjectively and purely on preference, sure, its possible, but the 650 is a ginormous leap above the px100. I love them both, and I would love to always have both. Also, as a KSC35/Sportapro lover, I do agree on the Koss sounding similar to the PX100 sounding similar, if a bit warmer, fuller, and less grainy. Still I muuuuuch prefer the Koss clip on comfort. I'm not a fan of the headband mod, and have gone so far as to have my px100 modded with ksc75 clips, though a driver cut out recently.

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #353 of 734
No way the px100 is bstter than the 650 technically. Subjectively and purely on preference, sure, its possible, but the 650 is a ginormous leap above the px100. I love them both, and I would love to always have both. Also, as a KSC35/Sportapro lover, I do agree on the Koss sounding similar to the PX100 sounding similar, if a bit warmer, fuller, and less grainy. Still I muuuuuch prefer the Koss clip on comfort. I'm not a fan of the headband mod, and have gone so far as to have my px100 modded with ksc75 clips, though a driver cut out recently.

The original PX100?

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #354 of 734
You should keep trying to see if they can be dethroned. Maybe try a beyerdynamic t1, hifiman he-6... All of the flagships I guess

May 3, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #355 of 734
Having only the M-Audio Q-40 now I am really loving the bass on these!! (They're open!?) I looked at all the entry level Senns and saw which ones have the least Treble drop-off and took a chance on these for portables. Wasn't sure if i would dig the "dark veiled" sound but so far i have to say based on sheer Sound Quality these are better than the KSC75 and Porta-Pros I've had before.
Quote:
Hey guys The px100ii is my favourite headphone of all times. Now i Got the Sennheiser Amperior and I am very happy to share with you that is very close sound signature wise to the px100ii
They have the same awesome bass emphasis and inoffensive sound. The Amperior bass goes deeper it's a little more controlled. Anyway tons of bass that we like:)
The Amperior is also more detailed in the mids and Highs and a tad brighter. I think te Amperior sound is more correct with a lot of fun. No sibilance, no harshness, safe sound signature.

When I am outdoor I use always the px100ii
At night the Amperior.

Cheers!

Ohhhhh man!!! So Pumped for those babies now!!!
gs1000.gif

May 10, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #356 of 734

Kinda sorta...they tinkered with the bass an threw things slightly off balance.   The bass sounds a little more bloated and it bleeds into the mids a little bit.

Are you talking about the pair I got from you, if so I totally agree. But when you put them in another enclosure they turn into another animal altogether, 
The drivers in these are top notch. 

May 10, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #357 of 734
  Are you talking about the pair I got from you, if so I totally agree. But when you put them in another enclosure they turn into another animal altogether, 
The drivers in these are top notch. 

Yeah, the PX100 II.  

When (if) my two original PX100s die, I might try your mod.  No need to try the mod now since the originals are so good in stock form.

May 10, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #359 of 734
  I have two pairs in wood cups, one open and the other closed. 

Wow - nice work! Those look amazing. And the PX100II bass controlled? Yeah baby!

May 10, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #360 of 734
  I have two pairs in wood cups, one open and the other closed. 

Beautiful work.

I'll trade you a Grado SR60i for one of them. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back