PX100-II Review | Discussion Thread
Sep 20, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #241 of 734
I'm honestly so pissed off atm, I kinda just wanna laugh at my stupidity.

Lol. It's like I sold my X1 for like $190 when I paid $300 a few months ago (seeing as I used some of the funds from selling the X1 to buy these...)

The PX100-II ended up being a $50 rental. My fault entirely, of course, so I'm just mad at myself.

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #242 of 734
Ok. Time WON'T tell... as I have just snapped off the arms from the headband. I'm not even gonna say how. Only that it happened, and I kind of want to cry

So NOW...I'm gonna ask around to see if there is any modder willing to put the PX100-II's drivers into the KSC35 housing as an experiment...

Uh oh, not good! Sorry that had to happen.

How did you bend them exactly?

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #243 of 734
Got overly eager and bent them in the wrong place. Thing is, I KNOW better. Can't remember where exactly... but I do remember feeling like I was pressing my luck.

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #244 of 734
That sucks dude, I'm sorry that happened...for the future, I usually use something like a basketball and just put then on like they are being worn and leave it for a few days, that tends to help with clamp.

Got overly eager and bent them in the wrong place. Thing is, I KNOW better. Can't remember where exactly... but I do remember feeling like I was pressing my luck.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #245 of 734

I've had like 30min of A/B testing with the hd650 and i thought they were pretty similar without comparing them side to side but they aren't that much similar.

First i'm not sure if this is normal but the px100-II bass on my unit really has arkward problem
It bleed alot in the lower midrange, similar to the klipsch image one. The main difference between the hd650 and the portable px100  is that the px100-II has its mids pretty congested upfront, pretty much like a closed headphone like the klipsch image one ( Image one mids are pretty much destroy by bass bleed px100-II aren't as much!!!)

hd650 are just in another league in the lower end area. It might have less   'gratifying' impact than the px100-II but they have alot more precision, extension and overall texture to it. Even if the hd650 are well known to be a little boosted in the upper bass range it just add a fun feeling to it while i think the px100-II kinda degrade the lower mids. Honestly from what i'm reading here i think they might be defective, but sinewave tests just didn't show any problems....

The voice is ALOT more forward on the px100-II than the hd650. The hd650 honestly kill the 50$ sennheiser version in every aspect of soundstage. I'd say it's pretty deceiving for an open headphone, especially compared to the good and cheap ksc75, which are really impressive in that regard. The hd650 aren't sounstage king by any mean but they do have a huge edge over the px100-II.

High are more recessed on the px100-II than on the hd-650 but otherwise this is were the two headphone sound the most similar. The hd650 once again extend a little more and they sound kinda more relax and laid back.

If breaking time help  the px100-II bass noise and bleeding it will turn into a REAL good deal, otherwise it's just another fun cheap headphone with its flaws....
sorry for my english... not my native language :wink:

They both are really confortable, which is a great thing

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #248 of 734
If the PX100 mk2 I heard today, is the same as mentioned in the topic title. I will not understand what the hype is about:

-Overly thumpy midbass, sounds like someone tuned the driver wrong. Colors all the sound
-Mids totally not HD600 worthy

Overall impression: Great looking can, but totally not HD6xx worth sonically

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #249 of 734
  If the PX100 mk2 I heard today, is the same as mentioned in the topic title. I will not understand what the hype is about:

-Overly thumpy midbass, sounds like someone tuned the driver wrong. Colors all the sound

The MK1 was much, much better.   They increased the mid-bass (perhaps to appeal to the Beats crowd) and, IMO, ruined a great headphone.     The MK1 hype was well deserved.

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #250 of 734

-Mids totally not HD600 worthy

Overall impression: Great looking can, but totally not HD6xx worth sonically

+1!
Although I never heard any HD6xx, I can never imagine how the PX100-II is gonna sound anything like the HD6xx. I mean, seriously, it just does not makes sense. I own a PX100-II, I'm okay with their sound signature but I also own the MX980 (senn's flagship earbuds) and those earbuds blow my PX100-II away out of the water in every aspect anytime. You name it, frequency range, neutrality, naturality, detail retrieval (both micro and macro), soundstage, imaging, anything! That said, logically (for me at least), the HD6xx should sound better than the MX980 so there is no way that the PX100 is anywhere near those HD6xx. What the heck. Sorry if I sounded a bit abraisive, I just can't believe this thread's title. It just seems very misleading to me.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, I replaced the pads of my PX100-II with much thinner foams and they definitely gained some transparency compared to the original pads. Less mid bass bleed, less texture though. But I can live with that as they become more neutral and transparent which I like better.

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #251 of 734
I just got these in today and thought I'd add my two cents worth of sense. They are definitely darker than the HD600, one of my favorite phones, but I can see where the comparison would come in. If price is factored in, then yes, these phones are a very good value at the $40 I paid for them. I'm away from home for several months and all I brought with me are some $10 Sony buds (I actually almost hate IEMs due to comfort), and my DT770s with a Fiio E12. The PX 100-ii are a breath of fresh air right now, and get me close to that Senn sound.

Build quality, comfort, and convenience of use are all top notch. I of course read about people having cord problems, and I can see that as being an issue in the future, especially since I'll be wrapping the cord and pocketing these quite a bit. There is basically no strain relief, so any hard bends at the base of the cable at either end could end badly. That's really the only downside I see to these if you don't mind the darker signature.

Nov 24, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #252 of 734
I've been listening to the PX100II for about 3-4 weeks now, and for the first week was not very impressed. Treble rather absent, bass undefined and overdone, mids OK but obscured by those treble and bass issues. After a week or two they really opened and settled down. Now I feel they are more than what I hoped for, especially for $46, and now Amazon has them for $41. Super bargain.

They are simply quite enjoyable for the classical and jazz that I mostly listen to. The bass is perhaps more than neutral, but not a distraction. Now maybe if the bass in the recording were exaggerated, as in rap and electronic, these could put it over the top and out of control. But I'm not having that issue.

They are a fun phone in a different way than the Grado fun sound. They're smoother and more polished sounding. Good instrument separation, decent soundstage size. The combination of refinement and body, in such a tiny, and comfortable, portable headphone are quite remarkable. I never heard the old PX100, but I think if I did I might miss the nice bottom end.

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #254 of 734
PX100-II review | A new competitor to the Koss Porta Pro, nothing more!

Preview: The new Sennheiser PX100-II has overdone bass, with decent mids and typical on-ear headphone sound. Nothing special. They look pretty good at only 46$. Not for critical listening, decent for a good looking portable headphone.

Title fixe'd, and same text with hype removed. :troll:

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #255 of 734
  PX100-II review | A new competitor to the Koss Porta Pro, nothing more!

Preview: The new Sennheiser PX100-II has overdone bass, with decent mids and typical on-ear headphone sound. Nothing special. They look pretty good at only 46$. Not for critical listening, decent for a good looking portable headphone.

Title fixe'd, and same text with hype removed. :troll:

Hype for you, not for me. I wrote this review based off what I experienced with all my comparisons. Guess I'm just different.

You can think what you wish. Perhaps you can start a thread with that exact same title, considering you've only briefly listened to them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back