PX100 - Current and Former Owners Vote Their Experience
Aug 25, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 30
I put myself firmly in this class:
-. Has HD414 pads (can't stand the comfort and "sound" of stock pads)
-. Sounds great to amazing (even if not very refined or that well-extended - it's very enjoyable)

Between amped and unamped, I would normally say it is great even when unamped (and receives little benefit from amping). However, based on my experience on the iPod Video (which IMO has terrible-sounding headphone out), the normally easy-going PX-100 can't even shine on it. An amp is absolutely needed on the iPod if one hopes to get truly good sound out of it. YMMV.

Cheers!

Aug 25, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 30
I still have mine, although they are in many pieces (tried to use the drivers for a little diy project).

I ran them unamped from an iPod with the stock pads and they sounded most acceptable to my ears for portable use (im not a portable audiophile). I decided they were expendable after getting the B&O A8 clipbuds which to my ears were far superior in that they actually had treble presence and a cleaner mid-bass.

Aug 25, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 30
They sound great on there own plugged into my 1st Gen shuffle, but when plugged into my Pimeta amp there over the top.

Aug 26, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 30
I have an old PX100 (maybe not what you want to hear for this topic). Amped, it sounds pretty good, with tons of bass, and unamped it's nice as well. In absolute sound quality, it is not all that great (it's quite muddy, has huge bass which many might say can overpower the music, etc.) but its darkness, smoothness, fun colouration, comfort, and big bass (which I think actually sounds somehow "apart" from the rest of the music and thus doesn't overpower it) make it my favourite portable headphone, even if it was the very first one I've ever bought. It's simply relaxing and fun to listen to, and very coherent.

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 30
has HD414 pads, unamped, sounds okay to acceptable, well its a great buy at the price

Aug 30, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 30
A few weeks ago I bought a set of the white PX100. I wasn't prepared for sound this good. I can't believe I have been suffering for years with various Apple & Sony headphones and earbuds. The best I had previously were Sony E888 earbuds, back when they were available and not counterfeit. I have literally went through several hundred dollars worth of various $50 or less headphones and thought it was good enough. I was wrong.

It sounds cliche, but I am really am hearing things in CDs that I have never heard before. CDs I have owned for 10 years and listened to hundreds of times.

The bass extension on the PX100 is amazing. I am not sure it goes down to 15hz as Sennheiser claims, but it definitely goes down pretty damn low.

Even while I am riding around on my bike with the wind in my ears, the sound comes through loud and clear, via my 5.5G iPod. I also use them when listening to iTunes on my computer.

Yesterday, I bought a set of the black PX100 to use with my PSOne & LCD Combo. They are perfect for this due to the hard carrying case, which allows me to keep them in the PSOne carrying case without worry.

Aug 30, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 30
Stock, unamped and sound pretty good. I picked amazing even though I think the fall short of that, but much better than just acceptable. They're my main, non-isolating portables. I picked up a second pair a couple of weeks ago. They were on clearance at Circuit City for $18. I couldn't pass it up. They'll stay unopened until my first pair breaks. Since they're pretty sturdy, that shouldn't happen soon.

Edit: They're a lot better to my ears than the KSC75s.
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 30
After seeing some other post on the PX100 (I never considered them before), I just had to grab a pair (white, $30 on Newegg.com). They arrived today, and I just took them out of the packaging. Listened to one song amped and one unamped. Both sounded very nice. Is there any reason to burn them in? I have them hooked to a CD player/receiver, burning them in. Probably not necessary, is my guess. I'd like to add the 414 pads, but they look too silly for public use (I want to use these at the poker table). Maybe I should get the pads for home use, but I already have SR-80s and RP21s for that duty. Anyway, at the $30 price, a steal.

Aug 30, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #15 of 30
I tried the PX100 and listened to them for 5 or 6 hours straight the day after I bought them. I could not convince myself that they sounded good so back they went.Before I returned them I bought my first pair of KSC75 and compared them directly to the PX100 and it was no contest.

I amped the PX100 with iPod/Porta Corda, Woo Audio 3 & Central Station and neither source/amp helped.

My problem with the PX100 was that treble sounded tinny and artificial, mids were acceptable and bass was quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back