Px-200 question
Nov 4, 2004 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

skip2alou

New Head-Fier
So with a budget of under $50, I got a pair of Senn.. px-200. Call me crazy, but I can't find a distinct difference between the iPod earbuds and the Senns. Their selling point was bass, but I couldn't detect an improvement. List goes on. I'd return these, but I keep reading about a 'burn-in period' or something like that???

Nov 4, 2004 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 17
Hi skip,

How long do you have before you have to return them? PX200 needs a fair bit of burn in to sound good. Play some bass-heavy music at volume slightly higher than listening level for at least 10-15 hours. You might find them very different afterwards.

Also, you need to wear it properly for the bass to work. You should have the pads completely over your ears - meaning you should be able to feel the entire ring pressed against your ears. Don't loosen the headband too much. Adjust it so that the headphone fits your head without any room on top.

Nov 4, 2004 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by skip2alou
but still wanna know if anybody's got horror stories of the px-200...

I usually used $18 Sony earbuds or $16 Sennheiser earbuds instead of the PX200s which cost me over $50. I used the PX200s for a short while but got tired of them rather fast since they didn't live up to what they costed and the hype about them last year on the forums. You may turn out to like them once they burn in if you get a proper seal from them but I honestly think there are better cans out there for less money. If you need isolation and can spend a little more, the Shure E2c are pretty good. I'm quite pleased with my set.

Nov 4, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 17
I've owned the PX-200's for a few months, and I can see why some would like it. I think its midrage is really nice and all, but I never seemed to get enough bass. Nonetheless, I think they are really well-designed cans.

So, in the end, I ended up buying the PX-100's, which have the similar folding design but is open and has a lot more bass.
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 17
The PX200 are definitely capable of outputting far more bass than the Apple buds. Actually, for me the PX200 are bassier (although in a slower and sloppier way) than the PX100.

Nov 4, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The PX200 are definitely capable of outputting far more bass than the Apple buds. Actually, for me the PX200 are bassier (although in a slower and sloppier way) than the PX100.

You must get a really good seal!

Nov 4, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 17
I agree with Bangraman. Owned both the PX-100's and 200's for close to a year now and they've been broken in nicely. 200's, to me, have more bass. PX-100's have been soundstage, but require extra volume to compensate for the open design. Funny thing is it all depends on what I'm doing to which headphones I prefer on that day. I do think both offer good value, but if you don't get that seal right with the PX-200's, you'll be wondering what all the fuss is about. I did think both required an unusual amount of time to get the best sound out of them.

Nov 4, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 17
My PX200's are probably getting on to a year old, but I doubt they have more than 100-200 hours on them. I do use them fairly often for short periods when travelling, but they don't get used for very long periods... averaged out over the period I've had them it's probably about 15 minutes a day. And also to me they've been more or less always like this.

As I think I said on more than one occasion, my first pair had a very stiff last detent on both sides, making me believe they wouldn't extend further and the seal was constantly being broken (yes my head is that big)... which had a big hand in me disposing of it. The PXC250 and the PX100, both of which I bought later made me realise that there was one more detent I could use, and when I got the PX200 again by fully extending the headband I could get a good fit. Since then I've not been inclined to be overcritical of them.

They're good value. Dark and somewhat sloppy but they do work perfectly well for the money, give actual isolation nearly on a par with the EX71 and they fold flat. To me they're more tractable than the EX71 as I can simply throw them into a bag without the rituals of putting the earbuds in the case and also of course the reverse... blowing off little pieces of fluff off the EX71 buds, etc.

Nov 5, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #10 of 17
I was thiiiiis close to returning them to Amzn in favor of the HD-212 (again, budget's a priority; otherwise, ec2's'd been here by now!), but Im on my 10th hour of burning, so we'll see.

In any case, I got 29 more days to test run.

Nov 5, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 17
I'd also give the px200's some more time. They definitely benefit from 10-20 hours burn in, and getting a good seal with them takes practice. Once those conditions are met, they're pretty good.

Although, if you don't need the isolation, the px100's do sound better.

Nov 5, 2004 at 6:42 AM Post #12 of 17
In my opinion, I don't think that the PX200's are that much better than the apple earbuds.

Also, in my opinion, if you want something that will sound alot better, I would suggest the Grado SR-80's. These are really the only headphones I have used that 'wow'ed me. (I actually don't use them anymore as I need noise cancelling properties in headphones, but otherwise, these were really something.)

Actually the Philips HS900's wowed me, but more because of the value for the price.

Nov 5, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinny
(I actually don't use them anymore as I need noise cancelling properties in headphones, but otherwise, these were really something.)

This is the whole point of the exercise for most people who're considering the PX200. It's closed and doesn't leak much. Grados are impractical and have no place whatsoever for portable use. Sure, they may sound great at home,and what's the point when you can't hear anything on the move unless you crank it to ear-bleeding levels and when everyone else around you can 'enjoy' your music?

Nov 5, 2004 at 11:54 AM Post #14 of 17
I'm not going to go as far as to measure my dome, but I wear a size 7 3/8 for baseball caps. I mention that because to get that good "seal", I have to cup my ears or I have to move the noose all the way to my chin! So how do other px200 owners deal with it not being tight enuf?

BTW, I don't know if it's the intended result, but I do hear a LOT more bass than before. It's definitely beyond apple earbuds now...

Nov 5, 2004 at 1:49 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinny
In my opinion, I don't think that the PX200's are that much better than the apple earbuds.

Also, in my opinion, if you want something that will sound alot better, I would suggest the Grado SR-80's.

I prefer the PX 200 to the SR-80 and even to the SR-225 with my MP3 players on the go -- not just because of the passable isolation, but also because of the smoother, more coherent sound. A slight increase of the upper treble helps with compensating for the slight roll-off.

As others have stated, a tight seal is important for a flat frequency response and a decent bass extension -- and obviously impossible to achieve for some people. With a tight seal -- and after thorough break-in -- the bass is strong, but not quite as strong as with the PX 100, which has a bit too much of it, although it's also a bit more accurate. Overall the PX 200 sounds more refined than the PX 100 to my ears.

peacesign.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back