PX 200 or K26P?
Aug 18, 2006 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BadgerB

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market for some portable headphones and have come down to a choice between two. The Sennheiser PX200's or the AKG K26P's.
Mostly because I need something small for use around town with my ipod and isolation is essential.
The two bad things I've heard about these are that the PX200's are a very difficult fit and that the K26P's aren't so good for classical music but the fit is better. I listen to alot of classical music though (mostly violin focused). Are the K26's really that bad with classical or will I just have to live with a bit of fiddling with the PX200's?

Aug 18, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 8
K26P. Midbass pronounced Boomboomboom bass without even of sense of accurasy and detail, mids in telephone-like (ok, not that bad but not much better) quality, nonexistent highs. So yes, they pretty much suck at classical and about everywhere else except hiphop and similar.

If you can get a good seal, i believe PX200 is much better choice.

Aug 18, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
K26P. Midbass pronounced Boomboomboom bass without even of sense of accurasy

If you can get a good seal, i believe PX200 is much better choice.

Totally agree with MaZa. For classical the PX200's will do a very respectable job. Personally I found the PX200's at the opposite end of the spectrum to the K26P's in that they were a little too light on the bass (although I do listen to classical - mainly Mahler, Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky and the like, I listen to mainly 'hard' rock, stoner, drone that kind of thing) and that's why I didn't keep mine. For mainly classical though, by far the best choice. FWIW I found the PX200's very comfortable.

Aug 18, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 8
I agree with the previous posts. I had the k26ps and traded them for px200s. I do not like the px200s, but I like bass, so the k26ps are better for me. However I think the px200 are better suited for classical and you.

I have a pair of px200s for sale in the FS forum. If you are interested let me know. I will also send a pm.

Aug 18, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 8
I don't know about using any of the available closed portable cans for classical music. Even the HP460 and K81dj have terribly wrong sound signatures for orchestral music or violin IMO. PX200 only works as the least of the evils. If I had to have something closed for this purpose, I'd go for the little etymotic sixes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back