PWB moving coil headphones.
May 22, 2024 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

chasolla

Head-Fier
I've just got these and I'd greatly appreciate some help in identifying them.

They are from the 1970's and sound really good but could be bassier.
I'm wearing them at work to discourage interaction with my colleagues and none of my little DAP's have any problem driving them.

Unfortunately they are no good for walking about due to photonics.

There is no information anywhere on the them other than PWB on the outside of the cans.

I've searched the internet but it has let me down badly.

I don't mind if I tun out to be wrong but I doubt that they have anything to do with Peter W Belt. I've looked at their website and they look to be more about magic than science or products.

any help, advice, or just humour gratefully received.

Chas

Attachments

• 20240522_080838.jpg
    20240522_080838.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240522_080845.jpg
    20240522_080845.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
May 22, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks Dunring,

I'd read that old thread but thought that I should start a new one rather than resurrect it.
Unlike any of the photos that I've seen, mine are closed back.

The cable is very serious looking and the jack plug does look to be professional standard.

Looking again through the old thread there is a photo of a headphone price list from Peter W Belt and a mention that they might have been oem rebadgers so I will contact them and see if they can help.

May 22, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 6
They are definitely no doubt a P.W.B. model.
P.W.B. gave up headphones and other audio in favour of tweaks as he progressed through his offerings.

Their dynamic closed backs came in your grey and a mustard yellow version, not seen a white or black dynamic housing *so far*.
Yes should be a dynamic, not Dyna-X.
Unsure what your grey ones have but it may be similar to the universum - drivered models. ( Universum is a European brand )
I have an open back grey dynamic which has the Universum drivers which is how we know.
I would expect release time periods were similar colours so chances are it may have the same drivers... don't quote me on that.

See what that Universum driver looks like here.

https://www.youtube.com/@GREQReviews at 1:50 mark, with another just before that.

Oh and THANKS FOR POSTING these up!
Always curious about their closed backs, just never got one. Love the aesthetics.

Last edited:
May 28, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #5 of 6
Graham at PWB got back to me pretty quickly:

"Good Morning Mark.

I’m glad to see that our headphones are still working 😊

I’ve just got my mum May, to send me some copies of an article from Popular HiFi from 1973, which is a review by Martin Colloms.

Hope this helps in having a bit more info on the headphones.

My farther Peter died some years ago now but May, at the age of 90 has just retired from the running of PWB Electronics, I’m still running the business but not manufacturing headphones or speaker systems anymore.

We have products that you fit to HiFi systems that enhance the sound. If you would like a free sample, please send your address and I will send some out in the post.

I may be able to put my hands on some replacement ear pads, I’ll let you know when or if I find them.

Kind regards

Graham"

I've attached the review.

What a marvellous man and I'm enjoying the headphones more every day.

Chas

Attachments

• PopularHiFiSept1973-1.pdf
    636.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PopularHiFiSept1973Page2.pdf
    670.9 KB · Views: 0
  • PopularHiFiSept1973Page3.pdf
    748.1 KB · Views: 0
May 28, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks!
That driver could possibly be made by Elega, one of the very early OEMs from Japan. Just a hunch looking at it.
It certainly predates the Universum one.
Saved those pages to file thanks so much for posting them up.
I had asked if they had a secret warehouse stash of things a few years ago but sadly no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back