PW Audio Cables Discussion Thread
Nov 4, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #1,411 of 1,617
Thanks. Yes, the Armin seems to no longer be made by Dignis. Tks.
In fact, I remembered that I have a photo to estimate the approximate size ratio of Arca and Armin.
IMG_20221014_190710_819.jpg

Nov 17, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #1,412 of 1,617
Jan 2, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #1,414 of 1,617
Does anyone here own the mercer spider that's possibly looking to sell it? Really like the color, trying to find one secondhand if possible.

Jan 14, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #1,415 of 1,617
PW audio 1960 SE review

IMG_1030.png

Brief introduction to this cable (from the internet):

十幾年來不斷在銅線材找出突破點,深入各大玩家中有 No.5、1960s,近年更推出旗艦級銅王線Orpheus。Peter 一次又一次打破眾人對銅線的理解。今日又一次技術突破做出大家最熟悉的 1960s SE,先再此說明一句(全球,全球,全球)只有 100 條。 在 1960s 結構加上美妙的變化,令一向注重低頻速度和力量的 1960s 變得更為清晰明光。用上神秘的焊接手段,其人聲表達更有感染力。最後加上耳機界頂級插頭 Pentaconn OFC 4.4mm 推至頂級組合。只要你曾聽過或擁有過 1960s,你一直能夠聽得出明顯分別。1960s SE 出現是為 1960 這名號線材畫上完美句號。

For more than ten years, we have been constantly finding breakthroughs in copper wires. Among the major players, there are No.5 and 1960s. In recent years, we have launched the flagship copper wire Orpheus. Time and time again, Peter has changed everyone's understanding of copper wire. Another technological breakthrough today made the 1960s SE that everyone is most familiar with. There are only 100 items (global, global, global). With wonderful changes in the structure of the 1960s, the 1960s, which has always focused on low-frequency speed and power, becomes clearer and brighter. Using the mysterious welding method, his vocal expression is more contagious. Finally, add Pentaconn OFC 4.4mm, the top plug in the earphone industry, and push it to the top combination. As long as you've heard or owned 1960s, you've always been able to hear the difference. The appearance of 1960s SE is a perfect ending for the famous cable of 1960.
1673688032849.png

Build quality and aesthetics:

It is a very soft and supple cable, with a grey and black intertwining weave to it. I honestly prefer the all black/dark blue looks from OG 1960s and first timeS, but by no means it is an ugly cable. It is also, in my opinion, far superior in terms of cable texture and weaving quality than the PW Audio First TimeS. The weave of the First TimeS felt so loose and feels like something is broken. The knitting and cable texture of 1960s SE is smoother and more tight, but surprisingly is slightly even more flexible and supple than First TimeS. It is never microphonic and uncomfortable on my skin. They have a very smooth texture. The terminations are ‘your average PW audio build’, where the plug and chin slider are very sturdy and attractive, although at the cost of being ever so slightly heavy than, let’s say, a 4W Effect Audio cable.

Overall, it has amazing build quality that improves on the previous models and provides the best quality in terms of build.

Sound synopsis:

*please be aware that all listening has been done with a moondrop s8 only*

The signature of the 1960s SE could be described as ‘dark, warm, smooth and extremely expansive’.

In the song ‘Any time, and place’ by Janet Jackson, the saxophone, tambourine(?) and the bass guitar are placed almost entirely holographic, having a stage larger than a Toxic Cables BW22v3, which already has great soundstage and positioning. Imaging on the 1960 SE is great, excellent. Janet sound focused and it’s very easy to image her singing immediately when you close your eyes, which is quite a rare characteristic for iems.

In the song ‘Bad Guy’ by Billie Eilish (I know it sounds weird that I used it as a test track, but listen to me first), the bass synth in the intro is powerful and impactful. Then billie’s voice can in, humming. The humming could, in my opinion, differentiate between a detailed cable to a very detailed cable, also to define the intimacy of a cable. Unfortunately, the 1960 SE didn’t do too well in this regard, well in one way it avoided any sibilant tones during the ‘whitttte sssshirt, redddddd my bloodddy nosssse’ part, but the sense of excitement and sensation of spine chilling was gone. I experienced this perfectly with the Black Widow 22 v3, but in 1960 se’s defence it is aimed at a different tuning and preference, and I do understand that. All in all, while it has a very strong and punchy bass, it is slightly tuned darker than what I prefer, but at the same time perfectly avoids any sibilant tones in vocals.

In ‘Moonlight Sonata’ by Marcin (acoustic guitar version in short), the background is incredibly dark and the opening E minor broken chords plucks are with soul and feelings to it (I know I sound exaggerated but it’s true), with entering the third movement theme it is fairly detailed and articulated, but again, not as clear as a black widow 22 v2. But there’s just a very small marginal difference at most.

Finally, in ‘Hotel California’, the instrument separation is mind-blowing and it is very wide and I’ve never heard that before. Still same old distant vocals unfortunately, but big soundstage is what the 1960 se is trying to flex. The guitar harmonics are smoothened, not piercing and sibilant. So if you are looking for a smooth sounding, dark warm-ish flagship cable, make this in the shortlist for sure.

Sound summary:

The 1960 SE is a smooth, warm and laid back sounding cable where it has a addictive bass punch and ‘juice’ in the vocals while although slightly distant due to the impeccable soundstage size, but gives a pristine image of very well separated instruments and the vocals.

Conclusion:

Well, this may be my endgame! Although it costs almost a fortune if considering someone under 18, but man this cable has such a unique character that even though it may not suit all people’s taste, but when you’re looking for such sound signature and approach to sound, you’re basically in heaven. Highly recommended.

Rating:

Build quality and aesthetics: 10/10!!!

Sound signature and technical performance: 9.5/10 (slightly less detailed and too dark for me)

Overall: 9.75/10👑

Thanks for making it until here!!!

Jan 14, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #1,416 of 1,617
PW audio 1960 SE review

IMG_1030.png

Brief introduction to this cable (from the internet):

十幾年來不斷在銅線材找出突破點,深入各大玩家中有 No.5、1960s,近年更推出旗艦級銅王線Orpheus。Peter 一次又一次打破眾人對銅線的理解。今日又一次技術突破做出大家最熟悉的 1960s SE,先再此說明一句(全球,全球,全球)只有 100 條。 在 1960s 結構加上美妙的變化,令一向注重低頻速度和力量的 1960s 變得更為清晰明光。用上神秘的焊接手段,其人聲表達更有感染力。最後加上耳機界頂級插頭 Pentaconn OFC 4.4mm 推至頂級組合。只要你曾聽過或擁有過 1960s,你一直能夠聽得出明顯分別。1960s SE 出現是為 1960 這名號線材畫上完美句號。

For more than ten years, we have been constantly finding breakthroughs in copper wires. Among the major players, there are No.5 and 1960s. In recent years, we have launched the flagship copper wire Orpheus. Time and time again, Peter has changed everyone's understanding of copper wire. Another technological breakthrough today made the 1960s SE that everyone is most familiar with. There are only 100 items (global, global, global). With wonderful changes in the structure of the 1960s, the 1960s, which has always focused on low-frequency speed and power, becomes clearer and brighter. Using the mysterious welding method, his vocal expression is more contagious. Finally, add Pentaconn OFC 4.4mm, the top plug in the earphone industry, and push it to the top combination. As long as you've heard or owned 1960s, you've always been able to hear the difference. The appearance of 1960s SE is a perfect ending for the famous cable of 1960.
1673688032849.png
Build quality and aesthetics:

It is a very soft and supple cable, with a grey and black intertwining weave to it. I honestly prefer the all black/dark blue looks from OG 1960s and first timeS, but by no means it is an ugly cable. It is also, in my opinion, far superior in terms of cable texture and weaving quality than the PW Audio First TimeS. The weave of the First TimeS felt so loose and feels like something is broken. The knitting and cable texture of 1960s SE is smoother and more tight, but surprisingly is slightly even more flexible and supple than First TimeS. It is never microphonic and uncomfortable on my skin. They have a very smooth texture. The terminations are ‘your average PW audio build’, where the plug and chin slider are very sturdy and attractive, although at the cost of being ever so slightly heavy than, let’s say, a 4W Effect Audio cable.

Overall, it has amazing build quality that improves on the previous models and provides the best quality in terms of build.

Sound synopsis:

*please be aware that all listening has been done with a moondrop s8 only*

The signature of the 1960s SE could be described as ‘dark, warm, smooth and extremely expansive’.

In the song ‘Any time, and place’ by Janet Jackson, the saxophone, tambourine(?) and the bass guitar are placed almost entirely holographic, having a stage larger than a Toxic Cables BW22v3, which already has great soundstage and positioning. Imaging on the 1960 SE is great, excellent. Janet sound focused and it’s very easy to image her singing immediately when you close your eyes, which is quite a rare characteristic for iems.

In the song ‘Bad Guy’ by Billie Eilish (I know it sounds weird that I used it as a test track, but listen to me first), the bass synth in the intro is powerful and impactful. Then billie’s voice can in, humming. The humming could, in my opinion, differentiate between a detailed cable to a very detailed cable, also to define the intimacy of a cable. Unfortunately, the 1960 SE didn’t do too well in this regard, well in one way it avoided any sibilant tones during the ‘whitttte sssshirt, redddddd my bloodddy nosssse’ part, but the sense of excitement and sensation of spine chilling was gone. I experienced this perfectly with the Black Widow 22 v3, but in 1960 se’s defence it is aimed at a different tuning and preference, and I do understand that. All in all, while it has a very strong and punchy bass, it is slightly tuned darker than what I prefer, but at the same time perfectly avoids any sibilant tones in vocals.

In ‘Moonlight Sonata’ by Marcin (acoustic guitar version in short), the background is incredibly dark and the opening E minor broken chords plucks are with soul and feelings to it (I know I sound exaggerated but it’s true), with entering the third movement theme it is fairly detailed and articulated, but again, not as clear as a black widow 22 v2. But there’s just a very small marginal difference at most.

Finally, in ‘Hotel California’, the instrument separation is mind-blowing and it is very wide and I’ve never heard that before. Still same old distant vocals unfortunately, but big soundstage is what the 1960 se is trying to flex. The guitar harmonics are smoothened, not piercing and sibilant. So if you are looking for a smooth sounding, dark warm-ish flagship cable, make this in the shortlist for sure.

Sound summary:

The 1960 SE is a smooth, warm and laid back sounding cable where it has a addictive bass punch and ‘juice’ in the vocals while although slightly distant due to the impeccable soundstage size, but gives a pristine image of very well separated instruments and the vocals.

Conclusion:

Well, this may be my endgame! Although it costs almost a fortune if considering someone under 18, but man this cable has such a unique character that even though it may not suit all people’s taste, but when you’re looking for such sound signature and approach to sound, you’re basically in heaven. Highly recommended.

Rating:

Build quality and aesthetics: 10/10!!!

Sound signature and technical performance: 9.5/10 (slightly less detailed and too dark for me)

Overall: 9.75/10👑

Thanks for making it until here!!!
Great write-up!

Wondering if anyone had the chance to compare SE with the other 1960s version, August Fun, which sounded warmer than the OG.

drftr

Jan 14, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #1,417 of 1,617
Great write-up!

Wondering if anyone had the chance to compare SE with the other 1960s version, August Fun, which sounded warmer than the OG.

drftr
August Fun is a 2 wire variant. Can't compare to the SE to start off with.

Jan 14, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #1,420 of 1,617
Unless you can. That's why I want to find out how and where the tonality is different.

drftr
I had plans to acquire it but didn't as it is warmer than regular. I can tell you SE is less warm than regular 1960 4 wire variant. There is more transparency. The typical bright vs warm comparison.

Jan 14, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #1,421 of 1,617
I had plans to acquire it but didn't as it is warmer than regular. I can tell you SE is less warm than regular 1960 4 wire variant. There is more transparency. The typical bright vs warm comparison.
Tnx for following up! I found 1960s 4-wire too bright compared to the 2-wire, to August Fun, and to 1950s, and hoped 1960s SE would be somewhere in between August Fun and 1950s while outperforming them in staging and dynamics like 1960s 4-wire does. Guess I was hoping for a cheaper First Times with better ergonomics. Can't have it all. Or so it seems.

drftr

Jan 14, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #1,422 of 1,617
I was hoping for a cheaper First Times with better ergonomics. Can't have it all. Or so it seems.
I agree. Somehow first times just doesn’t get the usual ‘PW Audio build quality’ and feels quite disconnected and rigid when I tried😕
And first times is more expensive than 1960s/1960s se, so I don’t see a point in getting it when they are sonically similar except the tone colour is more or less different.
I’m all ears on your opinions about first times and about a cheaper version of it!

Jan 14, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #1,423 of 1,617
I agree. Somehow first times just doesn’t get the usual ‘PW Audio build quality’ and feels quite disconnected and rigid when I tried😕
And first times is more expensive than 1960s/1960s se, so I don’t see a point in getting it when they are sonically similar except the tone colour is more or less different.
I’m all ears on your opinions about first times and about a cheaper version of it!
I found the First Times to be the perfect marriage between the staging, dynamics, and level of detail of the 1960s 4-wire with the absurdly nice warmer and full bodied tonality of 1950s. If the ergonomics and microphonics had been better I would have been in trouble for sure. I will hold off upgrading from August Fun until there's either a different take on ergonomics on First Times or 1950s.

drftr

Jan 15, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #1,424 of 1,617

I owned Metropolis ft. 50s for a couple of weeks. I've also had PWA 1960s Traillii version for over a year.

I'm still keeping 2 FTs although I don't use them anymore at the moment because I no longer have Traillii to pair them with.

In my experience, FT has better build quality overall compared to 1960s Traillii version and Metropolis ft. 50s. Relative to both, to me FT is more comfortable, more supple and a tad less microphonic. I even slightly prefer FT to PWA Deep of Universe, form factor-wise. I wish FT was as comfortable as the Silver Liars though.

8FF19553-38E6-4D03-AA01-824093FFC175.jpeg

Jan 15, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #1,425 of 1,617
I owned Metropolis ft. 50s for a couple of weeks. I've also had PWA 1960s Traillii version for over a year.

I'm still keeping 2 FTs although I don't use them anymore at the moment because I no longer have Traillii to pair them with.

In my experience, FT has better build quality overall compared to 1960s Traillii version and Metropolis ft. 50s. Relative to both, to me FT is more comfortable, more supple and a tad less microphonic. I even slightly prefer FT to PWA Deep of Universe, form factor-wise. I wish FT was as comfortable as the Silver Liars though.

8FF19553-38E6-4D03-AA01-824093FFC175.jpeg
Are you using FT on MM? I found lower treble less hot doing so.

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back