PW Audio Cables Discussion Thread
Sep 19, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #556 of 1,613
I’m just trying Trio and No.5 right now to refresh my memory.

Ok...the first thing I notice is that it brings a bit of warmth to the presentation. It softens the high end that the Trio can have and seems to roll off the treble so that there is never any brightness or piercing highs.

It feels like it narrows the soundstage and brings the instruments a bit closer together, although separation is still good. I feel mids are a little bit recessed, not a deal breaker by any means though as it is relevant to other cables at this price point. If I compare it to my Thor Silver II+ say (possibly not the fairest comparison), the Thor brings those mids more forward. If compared to the Hyperion 8 Wire SPC which I used to own then the No.5 is much better IMO. Vocals sound nice but again it is with this overall warm presentation. I think this cable moves the singer back a couple of rows. Nothing major, but noticeable when comparing to cables at a higher lever.

Bass is good in quantity. It will add a nice thump where it’s needed, and all areas of the low end work well. I noticed on a track I’m listening to right now as I type, ‘Best of You’ by Foo Fighters, the No.5 and Trio do not try to add bass where it should not really be present. When it should be there though it does deliver. I said bass quantity was good. However, quality is perhaps not quite as good, but I mean that in terms of cables at a similar level. i.e. don’t expect 1960’s quality at No.5 price. That’s obvious I guess.

I think the No.5 is a top cable at the £100 to £200 price range. I mention that because I think we have to compare it like for like. I have two other cables, being Thor Silver II+ and 1950’s. The Thor is a step up in most regards and is essentially 5 times the price. So not a fair comparison. I would say though that the No.5 would make a good daily cable for when you are out and about or doing something at home. I like to use it when I am at home working as I find I can enjoy the music but without being pulled away from my work by crazy sound and detail.

Now I haven’t heard the 8 wire, but I would think that it would give the same general presentation but take it up a level. I could obviously be wrong on this, but if so I would ask why call it the No.5 still, if it actually becomes a different sound and feel? Like I said I might be wrong on that so just my personal thoughts on it. One thing I would say though is that PW Audio make very good cables and I’m happy with my purchases from them. If 8 wires does take the cable to the next level then it is probably something I would enjoy.

I do not have the Nio and so I can’t comment on that I’m afraid.
Thanks so much, that's great feedback and exactly what I needed to know.

Sep 21, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #558 of 1,613
I'll have the No 5 8-wire on Tuesday.
Hehe, mine's on route from HK as we speak. Do you have the No. 10 as well? I was so impressed with the No. 10 I just had to have the 'set'. Look forward to hearing the differences and nuances between the two.

Sep 21, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #559 of 1,613
Hehe, mine's on route from HK as we speak. Do you have the No. 10 as well? I was so impressed with the No. 10 I just had to have the 'set'. Look forward to hearing the differences and nuances between the two.
I have had the No 10 since last week and love it. So I figured I would get the No 5 as well.

Sep 21, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #560 of 1,613
I would be interested to know the difference between the No.10 and No.5 when you are able to do a comparison.

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #561 of 1,613
I would be interested to know the difference between the No.10 and No.5 when you are able to do a comparison.
I'll be coming back here with comparisons with 64 Audio IEMs in about two weeks' time as I'll be away for a short bit.

Oct 5, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #563 of 1,613
Oct 5, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #564 of 1,613
Oct 5, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #565 of 1,613
There are only an handful of cables that are shielded, this for sure will reduce the advantages this adapter might provide. Usually a shielded cable provides a darker background.

Not sure what is advantage of this adapter, does it covert 4.4 mm to 3.5 mm?

Oct 5, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #567 of 1,613
Connect the 5th pole/ground from the 4.4mm plug to the ground of the 3.5mm socket.

3.5 mm on WM1Z is 90 mW and 250 mW with 4.4.

If i understand correctly, when we use this adapter, 3.5 mm will have 250 mW?

Oct 5, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #568 of 1,613
No, the sound will come from the 4.4mm socket therefore you will 250mw, just the forums will be diverted to the 3.5mm socket therefore providing a darker background if you use shielded cables, if your cable is not shielded this adapter won’t be any use for you.

Oct 5, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #570 of 1,613
Thx for info, WM1Z is blocked temporarily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back