PW Audio Cables Discussion Thread
Sep 8, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #527 of 1,617
6 months with 1960s 2-wire on my Zeus XR , went by like a breeze

beautiful cable.

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #528 of 1,617
I have been notified by DHL that a package from the US will be delivered to me next week.

Hmm, I wonder what that could be...🤔

Sep 11, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #529 of 1,617
PSX_20200911_115448.jpeg

One of the best-looking combinations I've seen to date in modern porta-fi. With sound to match! 64 Audio Nio + PWAudio PW10 8-wire (which I have on loan to test).

This is my first experience of a PWA cable and my first post to this thread. Blown away at the quality of construction, feel, and sound. If I may ask a couple of questions for those in the know:

1. Does the 4-wire PW10 come with the same hardware (splitter, plugs etc.)? These are simply phenomenal.

2. Can anyone shed some light on the sound differences (if any) between the 4-wire and 8-wire version?

Sep 11, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #530 of 1,617
PSX_20200911_115448.jpeg
One of the best-looking combinations I've seen to date in modern porta-fi. With sound to match! 64 Audio Nio + PWAudio PW10 8-wire (which I have on loan to test).

This is my first experience of a PWA cable and my first post to this thread. Blown away at the quality of construction, feel, and sound. If I may ask a couple of questions for those in the know:

1. Does the 4-wire PW10 come with the same hardware (splitter, plugs etc.)? These are simply phenomenal.

2. Can anyone shed some light on the sound differences (if any) between the 4-wire and 8-wire version?

My 4-wire version came with a round, wooden splitter and a more cylindrical 4.4mm plug. You can see it on my review from earlier this year: https://theheadphonelist.com/pw-audio-no-10-value-in-vigor/

I haven’t tried the 8-wire version yet, but the rule-of-thumb going from a 4-wire to an 8-wire version would be changes in headroom and space. Typically, 8-wir cables have this freer, more effortless sound to them that isn’t as forwardly or direct as the 4-wire variant. Depending on the cable, there could very well be other changes as well, but that’s where an audition would be necessary.

Sep 11, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #531 of 1,617
My 4-wire version came with a round, wooden splitter and a more cylindrical 4.4mm plug. You can see it on my review from earlier this year: https://theheadphonelist.com/pw-audio-no-10-value-in-vigor/

I haven’t tried the 8-wire version yet, but the rule-of-thumb going from a 4-wire to an 8-wire version would be changes in headroom and space. Typically, 8-wir cables have this freer, more effortless sound to them that isn’t as forwardly or direct as the 4-wire variant. Depending on the cable, there could very well be other changes as well, but that’s where an audition would be necessary.
Thanks you so much. Compared to the other 4-wire cables I have here (including the 64 Audio Silver Premium) that greater sense of space and 'effortlessness' is exactly what I'm hearing with the PW10 8-wire. It's the most beautiful cable I've seen and used in a long time (but then I'm a stickler for thicker cables). My other cables feel like they'll snap if I look at them the wring way, by comparison. Also, it's the first IEM cable I've seen that's actually thicker than my headphone cable, and yet somehow manages to be perfectly comfortable.

Sep 11, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #532 of 1,617
Well I took the plunge and finally got the cable I wanted.

9505CA3E-6631-4C2B-8389-DBB6EF2701C0.jpeg

Sep 11, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #533 of 1,617
So I have started the burn-in process on the 1950’s. My set up for this is rather crude and goes like this:

iPhone 6 max > iTunes AAC music > cheap £11 adapter 4.4mm to 3.5mm > 1950’s > JH Billie Jean

I checked on it within the first hour and, taking into account the set up, the sound seemed quite veiled. However it was very apparent that this was a top cable. Even with the veil there was a sense of air and presence, a kind of depth to it. I checked on it a few times over the next few hours but there was no detectable change.

9 hours later I checked on it again. Ok, now we’re cooking. The first noticeable change. I listened to a bit of two songs. The first was ‘Father and Son’ by Cat Stevens ft. Ronan Keating. This felt crisp an airy and there seemed like a sense of layering to separate out the vocals from the guitar. Next was ‘Oops Upside Your Head’ by The Gap Band. Again there was this sense of air, layering and separation of vocals and instruments. And the Bass! Oh my god, where did the bass come from? Billie Jean doesn’t even have that much bass. Another thing I noticed was what seemed to be added volume. I’m not really sure how else to describe it. It is as though the 1950’s is bringing its own uplift in volume to the combo. Now it could just be that this cable is so crisp and clear that the space and clarity is giving the impression of added volume. I’m not sure. Probably the latter I would guess.

So the plan is to burn it in for about 200hrs.

A slight fly in the ointment is that this cable, and also the Lotoo Paw S1, are my birthday present from my wife. However my birthday is a month away. We bought them now to take advantage of the Musicteck sale. I am supposed to pass the cable to her for ‘safe keeping’ after it’s burned in. She has already hidden the Lotoo Paw S1.

It’s ok, I can do this. I mean if David Blaine could go 30 days without food locked in a small box then I can hold out for the 1950’s and the S1 for a month or so. I can, I swear...definitely... 🤫

Sep 11, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #534 of 1,617
So I have started the burn-in process on the 1950’s. My set up for this is rather crude and goes like this:

iPhone 6 max > iTunes AAC music > cheap £11 adapter 4.4mm to 3.5mm > 1950’s > JH Billie Jean

I checked on it within the first hour and, taking into account the set up, the sound seemed quite veiled. However it was very apparent that this was a top cable. Even with the veil there was a sense of air and presence, a kind of depth to it. I checked on it a few times over the next few hours but there was no detectable change.

9 hours later I checked on it again. Ok, now we’re cooking. The first noticeable change. I listened to a bit of two songs. The first was ‘Father and Son’ by Cat Stevens ft. Ronan Keating. This felt crisp an airy and there seemed like a sense of layering to separate out the vocals from the guitar. Next was ‘Oops Upside Your Head’ by The Gap Band. Again there was this sense of air, layering and separation of vocals and instruments. And the Bass! Oh my god, where did the bass come from? Billie Jean doesn’t even have that much bass. Another thing I noticed was what seemed to be added volume. I’m not really sure how else to describe it. It is as though the 1950’s is bringing its own uplift in volume to the combo. Now it could just be that this cable is so crisp and clear that the space and clarity is giving the impression of added volume. I’m not sure. Probably the latter I would guess.

So the plan is to burn it in for about 200hrs.

A slight fly in the ointment is that this cable, and also the Lotoo Paw S1, are my birthday present from my wife. However my birthday is a month away. We bought them now to take advantage of the Musicteck sale. I am supposed to pass the cable to her for ‘safe keeping’ after it’s burned in. She has already hidden the Lotoo Paw S1.

It’s ok, I can do this. I mean if David Blaine could go 30 days without food locked in a small box then I can hold out for the 1950’s and the S1 for a month or so. I can, I swear...definitely... 🤫

Patience is rewarded. Happy early birthday :beerchug:

Sep 11, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #535 of 1,617
I bought a used 1960 that had at least two previous owners. When I attached it to my ZeusXR and AK SP1000SS, it sounded a bit bright (and I was replacing an Ares ll 8-wire, which is not a warm cable at all!). So I gave it about 15-20 hours and tried again. Perfection. I would guess that after about 50 hours yours should be close to where it will end up.

Sep 12, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #537 of 1,617
Personally, I think after 30-50 hours, it's close. But I always burn mine in on the device I will use it with. Then, as you use it to listen with, it fine-tunes. I don't see the point of 200+ hours on a cable.

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #538 of 1,617
Be still my heart. I just tried the PW Orpheus + Erlkonig run off N8, P6 and R2R. This is truly endgame if you can find the Orpheus - can't even compare it to the 1950s or 1960s. It's unbelievably dark, detailed, emotional and takes micro details to another level. Michael Kiwanuka's Cold Little Heart with the epic opening almost put me to tears.

More context. I took the late afternoon and evening to test some cables. I spent a few hours with the Wagnus Omnisheep and was blown away. Again with the Erlkonig + N8, P6 and R2R. Powerful, neutral and very holographic - like the songs were going to jump out at me.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #539 of 1,617
Be still my heart. I just tried the PW Orpheus + Erlkonig run off N8, P6 and R2R. This is truly endgame if you can find the Orpheus - can't even compare it to the 1950s or 1960s. It's unbelievably black, detailed, emotional and tales micro details to another level. Michael Kiwanuka's epic Cold Little Heart with the strings opening almost put me to tears.
I cannot find anything out about this cable. What details are there i.e. specs and price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back