PW Audio Cables Discussion Thread
Aug 25, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #106 of 1,613
you know I always thought my 1z was less treblier then other devices. to my surprise 1z do treble slightly higher then others... But I also learned that silver cables can be less trebly then copper! weird but true fact or maybe its just me liking more silver cause it performs better then copper?
Well, my understanding about the 1z is that it has a 'warmer' signature than the 1a. Concerning the cables, I feel it can get a little complicated. I've listened to several copper cables with my 1000M, and AndromedaSS, and Xelento's, and then CL2, different tips; I think the boutique cable industry complex has gotten too sophisticated to generalize. I dont think the the old rule of thumb, copper=lows and silver = highs really apply anymore. I think copper generally has more texture and therefore a more 'dynamic' sound, making them sometimes present as 'bassy'. My whiplash 8 wire copper is like that, its SO dynamic, it turns the sound inside out and presents like a 'wall of sound' that took me a little getting used to; there is no lack of treble, or bass. Silver cables are not so much more 'trebly' they just handle the highs differently, usually in a 'less dynamic' smoother presentation. I listened to $1,500 ish EffectAudio cable at Canjam, and I didn't like it at all because it sounded 'overproduced'. The highs were so polished and smooth, they sounded dull to me, I much preferred the ErosII+ at $400 because there was a good balance between the benefit to the texture and complexity of the lows, but a 'smoother' yet sparkly and detailed highs that are complex and dynamic with an open soundstage... Perhaps someone using a super detailed iem like the U18 and liking it's sound sig would prefer the more expensive silver, gold, palladium types of cable. The copper/silver hybrid of the ErosII+ benefited my dynamic driver Xelento more than the BA design of the Andromeda's, tho. The CL2's, being planar and theoretically more revealing, seems to be the most vulnerable to proper pairing and maximum synergy. Also, I've read about the Cleopatra, an all silver cable, being easily mistaken for a copper cable because of it's texture and handling of the bottom end... Then factor in tips... The JVC spiral dots are by far my favorite for the CL2, having a profound effect on sound signature, really bringing them alive... Not to get off topic, but my point is concerning cables, it can get complicated...

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #107 of 1,613
Hi guys,
I’m looking for a best copper cable to pair with my fourte and sp2000ss that were already bright and out of controlled treble. So I need a cable which can add some warmth and weight to the body.

can anyone tell me what is exactly different sound between 1960s and 1950s (both in 4 wires).

Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #108 of 1,613
Hi guys,
I’m looking for a best copper cable to pair with my fourte and sp2000ss that were already bright and out of controlled treble. So I need a cable which can add some warmth and weight to the body.

can anyone tell me what exactly difference between 1960s and 1950s (both in 4 wires).

Thanks
From what I know from Peter directly, different insulation and structure inside, hence the different tuning.

Sep 8, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #109 of 1,613
Hi guys,

can anyone tell me what exactly difference between 1960s and 1950s (both in 4 wires).

Thanks

1950s will bring more warmth to your Fourte.

I pair my 1950s with U18t, and 1960s 4-wire to my Fourte Noir (because it's already warm by default). I tried pairing it the other way but I don't like the result at all.

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #110 of 1,613
In my bad memory, I still remembered 1960s adds some bright in treble, doesn’t it ?

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #112 of 1,613
Question to the long term owners of PW audio cables, the ones that has PVC shield (like Anniversary 5, vanquish series gets rigid and brittle? I saw some people had this issue with EA cables and apparently they both uses PVC.

PS.: Just for reference of those that never heard about PVC properties, PVC is known to be sensible to UV light (just leave a garden hose under the sun light for a few weeks and you will see). Some companies uses special tricks to avoid that.

Sep 11, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #113 of 1,613
Depend on your source too. If your source is lower than flac or wave. High end cables will only show brightness

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #114 of 1,613
Hi Everyone,

In trying to take my current transportable setup as far as possible I started looking at an upgraded cable. At the moment I'm using an U18T with a Hugo 2. My dealer unfortunately only carries Effect Audio cables where I initially tried the Janus B. I tried the Janus B as I thought that would be the most dynamic pairing available. However when I tried the cable I could bare detect a difference in sound compared to the stock U18T cable. If anything the mids seemed a little more veiled with EA cable! I then tried the Leo II and there was enough of a material improve/change to the sound for me to consider it. I felt the overall sound took on a more holographic feel, and both frequency extremes seemed to increase in resolution.

My mind has now turned to the PW Audio line or potentially an Octa Leonidis II. I listen to mostly electronica, and I'm looking to impart even more of dynamic and holographic tone to the U18T's.

1950s will bring more warmth to your Fourte.

I pair my 1950s with U18t, and 1960s 4-wire to my Fourte Noir (because it's already warm by default). I tried pairing it the other way but I don't like the result at all.

I have to admit this surprised me. I though the 1960's was the warmer of the two, and the 1950's the more neutral/dynamic?

Cheers,
GS

Sep 20, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #115 of 1,613
I am a happy new owner of the a PW - No. 5 JP Version, and I just paired it with my Campfire Lyra II. This cable is very nice, and sounds killer! I am comparing it to my Norne Audio Therium all silver litz cable and the PW No. 5 is holding it's own. I am still getting a feel for the differences between the two, but the No. 5 is a keeper. The feel of the No. 5, and absolute lack of microphonics is awesome. The build quality is perfect, and I am not kidding. This will not be my last PW cable, as I am very impressed. Thanks PW for such a quality product, at a great price! :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #116 of 1,613
Hi guys,

can anyone tell me what is exactly different sound between 1960s and 1950s (both in 4 wires).

Thanks

Sep 20, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #117 of 1,613
I've read the 1960 4 wire is brighter than the 2 wire... 1950 I dont know. There are several reviews, I think Twister6 did an analysis.

Sep 20, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #118 of 1,613
I am a happy new owner of the a PW - No. 5 JP Version, and I just paired it with my Campfire Lyra II. This cable is very nice, and sounds killer! I am comparing it to my Norne Audio Therium all silver litz cable and the PW No. 5 is holding it's own. I am still getting a feel for the differences between the two, but the No. 5 is a keeper. The feel of the No. 5, and absolute lack of microphonics is awesome. The build quality is perfect, and I am not kidding. This will not be my last PW cable, as I am very impressed. Thanks PW for such a quality product, at a great price! :ksc75smile:
I'm getting the PW Limited, maybe next month.

Sep 20, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #119 of 1,613
If you think the No. 5 is good. You have to try the Century Series. You would not think those were copper cables. It's definitely worth trying the 1960 2 wire at least.

Sep 20, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #120 of 1,613
If you think the No. 5 is good. You have to try the Century Series. You would not think those were copper cables. It's definitely worth trying the 1960 2 wire at least.
I would love to try one of those someday, but they are a bit out of my price range at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back