PW Audio Cables Discussion Thread
Aug 16, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #946 of 1,613
Not yet, Musicteck is off until tomorrow.

Will let you know asap.
Is there a link for this MKII? I just bought the Monile50s 2 weeks ago!

Aug 16, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #947 of 1,613
Is there a link for this MKII? I just bought the Monile50s 2 weeks ago!
Andrew has ordered them and will post pre-order links once PW provides specs.

What I've gleaned from the HK AV show is that there is going to be some form of trickle down from the Meteopolis line to the MKII.

Whatever that is isn't too clear to me as I have yet to find detailed specs on the Meteopolis line. Maybe the MKII uses the gold/silver alloy on the Metropolis rather than the silver on the current Monile?

Aug 16, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #948 of 1,613
Andrew has ordered them and will post pre-order links once PW provides specs.

What I've gleaned from the HK AV show is that there is going to be some form of trickle down from the Meteopolis line to the MKII.

Whatever that is isn't too clear to me as I have yet to find detailed specs on the Meteopolis line. Maybe the MKII uses the gold/silver alloy on the Metropolis rather than the silver on the current Monile?
OK, thanks for the heads up!

Aug 16, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #949 of 1,613
Did some more digging while updating my spreadsheet of suspected Cardas made wires in pursuit of the elusive MKII specs. (Most of them are PW, so more of a PW spreadsheet). Some more things I've dug up:

PW has been really going hard on the coaxial design with their recent cables, and built in such a way that it resembles the 1960s that I've suspect they're having Cardas make wires for them outside of the Century series.

Likewise they've been pushing 3 tiers of cables within the coaxial framework: 2 wires (4) and 4 wires (8) with the latter having a ft.60s and ft. 50s variant. Release following this have been: Antigona, Monile, Mercer, Metropolis and the announced Monile MKII

More details for the lesser known

Antigona: Looks like a limited release that's an "upgrade" trade in for the No 5. Follows the Monile wire configuration but both wires are copper rather than a copper/silver hybrid

Mercer: Looks exactly like the Monile with the exact same wires. Purports to have a more "airy soundstage" in comparison. @szore I would suspect some association with the Mercer Spyder in this case given the name. But it does confirm the material used in the wires.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #952 of 1,613
Did some more digging while updating my spreadsheet of suspected Cardas made wires in pursuit of the elusive MKII specs. (Most of them are PW, so more of a PW spreadsheet). Some more things I've dug up:

PW has been really going hard on the coaxial design with their recent cables, and built in such a way that it resembles the 1960s that I've suspect they're having Cardas make wires for them outside of the Century series.

Likewise they've been pushing 3 tiers of cables within the coaxial framework: 2 wires (4) and 4 wires (8) with the latter having a ft.60s and ft. 50s variant. Release following this have been: Antigona, Monile, Mercer, Metropolis and the announced Monile MKII

More details for the lesser known

Antigona: Looks like a limited release that's an "upgrade" trade in for the No 5. Follows the Monile wire configuration but both wires are copper rather than a copper/silver hybrid

Mercer: Looks exactly like the Monile with the exact same wires. Purports to have a more "airy soundstage" in comparison. @szore I would suspect some association with the Mercer Spyder in this case given the name. But it does confirm the material used in the wires.

Have you seen any relation to DHC cables for coaxial designs? It looks like Rhapsodio has their branded coaxial design too that looks like DHC type. The Orphy looks and feels like a coaxial design wrapped in the usual paracord cover. I can't help but think that there's same material out there somewhere ...

Aug 16, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #953 of 1,613
Have you seen any relation to DHC cables for coaxial designs? It looks like Rhapsodio has their branded coaxial design too that looks like DHC type. The Orphy looks and feels like a coaxial design wrapped in the usual paracord cover. I can't help but think that there's same material out there somewhere ...
DHC's coaxial designs are rather interesting. I've had the opportunity to try the Complement C and Clone Silver, and the outer jacket feels almost rubbery in a way. I have yet to encounter wires made in that way so I am curious to see if I can find out where their source is,

Unfortunately new or used, the Orphy is way out of my range for cables. I'm trying to pin down the specs, but they don't seem to be out there. There was one HK retailer that had specs, but they seemed to be copied from the 4 wire Monile build than the actual Orhpy specs. In my spreadsheet, I do make note that the specs of the Orphy I have are based on the doubling of 50s/ Cardas Clear than actual specs from PW. Seeing as the Cardas Clear wires themselves are do not have a fibre sheathe of any sort, it's very possible that the Orphy has a paracord sheath on top of the Clear wires.

Aug 16, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #954 of 1,613
I have 150 hours on my monile ft50s, and It sounds spectacular!

20210816_202621.jpg

Aug 16, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #955 of 1,613
DHC's coaxial designs are rather interesting. I've had the opportunity to try the Complement C and Clone Silver, and the outer jacket feels almost rubbery in a way. I have yet to encounter wires made in that way so I am curious to see if I can find out where their source is,

Unfortunately new or used, the Orphy is way out of my range for cables. I'm trying to pin down the specs, but they don't seem to be out there. There was one HK retailer that had specs, but they seemed to be copied from the 4 wire Monile build than the actual Orhpy specs. In my spreadsheet, I do make note that the specs of the Orphy I have are based on the doubling of 50s/ Cardas Clear than actual specs from PW. Seeing as the Cardas Clear wires themselves are do not have a fibre sheathe of any sort, it's very possible that the Orphy has a paracord sheath on top of the Clear wires.

Yeah, DHC has that soft rubber texture, almost like a super soft clear TPU gel. I don't know how they do over time.

I'm clueless here but Orphy's termination up to the splitter almost looks like DHC cable wrapped in paracord and twisted. It's probably not coaxial because, after the splitter, Orphy turns into the usual two twisted-cable per side. DHC is one cable per side. One of these days, when I have $10k to throw away, I'll buy all variations and cut them up to satisfy my curiosity, lol. :sweat_smile:

Aug 17, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #957 of 1,613
How does DHC stack up to PW in regards to SQ?

I can’t answer that personally. One of the reasons being that I’ve never been able to get a reply from DHC. I must have tried at least 5 times in the last few years. Zero. That’s an immediate removal from any option list for me.

If you can’t respond to potential customers nor have a distribution / dealer channel, I’m out.

Aug 17, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #958 of 1,613
KakaoTalk_20210818_000234092.jpg

PWAudio Century Series - 1960s 4wired

Jacket Material : Nylon Jacket,PU insulation,Teflon cover

Conductor Material : OCC copper wirh litz

Conductor Gauge: 26AWG

Number of Conductors : 2 positive Conductors and 2 negative Conductors

The 1960s​

The 1960s is the flagship IEM cable by Peter Wong Audio that is designed for the maximum sound quality possible for a pure OCC copper litz cable in the most ergonomic form factor.

By using 26AWG wires and FEP jacket for the positive signal and 24AWG wires and PVC jacket for negative signal, the 1960s offers a large soundstage, better sense of airiness, bass that is textured and well extended and an incredibly resolving sound matched by no other cable.

The 1960s flagship IEM cable consists of wires made in the USA, and is hand braided and built by Peter Wong himself. To add to a more exquisite sense of touch and feel to the cables, the 1960s features carbon fiber sleeving and the signature PWAudio choker.

it shows good matching with faudio major.

Aug 17, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #959 of 1,613

I had the DHC clone fusion (copper and silver) for a while and I thought it was a unique sounding cable with both a hint of warmth and sparkle. It was more resolving than PW No.5, leaner mid-bass, and sparkly. I only compared with 1960's 2 wire and I thought 60's had blacker background and better mids and musicality.

Although the clone fusion had nice appointments, I didn't care for the ergonomics. The thinner cable after the splitter to the ear is like Apple's USB cable (diameter-wise) pre-formed into a hook shape. Looking back now, I suppose the ergonomics might have been slightly better than Orphy. Clone fusion might have been a good cable to brighten up Rhap Bomber :sweat_smile:

Aug 17, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #960 of 1,613
PW fanboy, but I also like PW because of the range of their offerings over a wide price range.

Not a fan of the more expensive stuff being offered recently. But even their entry level cables sound good.

They're general more ergonomic as well.
I had the DHC clone fusion (copper and silver) for a while and I thought it was a unique sounding cable with both a hint of warmth and sparkle. It was more resolving than PW No.5, leaner mid-bass, and sparkly. I only compared with 1960's 2 wire and I thought 60's had blacker background and better mids and musicality.

Although the clone fusion had nice appointments, I didn't care for the ergonomics. The thinner cable after the splitter to the ear is like Apple's USB cable (diameter-wise) pre-formed into a hook shape. Looking back now, I suppose the ergonomics might have been slightly better than Orphy. Clone fusion might have been a good cable to brighten up Rhap Bomber :sweat_smile:
The insulation on their lhigher end stuff does make it slightly better than Orphy in that regards. Though DHC is more about the aesthetics than the ergonomics overall.

I feel that like Norne they decided to do iems cables as an aside to their main headphones cable business rather than actually make iem cables seriously.

Essentially bolting on headphone cables to iem connectors. Then there's the question of whether the huge wire guages they're using and whether those benefit iems at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back