PW Audio Cables Discussion Thread
Jan 26, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #1,577 of 1,613
Could someone pls point me to a good summary review (or multiple) of differences/improvements/etc/etc between the First Times Shielded and Orpheus?
They are quite different signature-wise. First Time Shielding is bright-neutral with maxed out technicalities, while Orpheus OG sounds analog with flagship technicals. In fact I would say they are pretty complementary, depending on your overall system.

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #1,578 of 1,613
Could someone pls point me to a good summary review (or multiple) of differences/improvements/etc/etc between the First Times Shielded and Orpheus?

@gLer Guy's great and detailed reviews on FTS and Orpheus. He has comparative impressions also.

https://theheadphonelist.com/review-pw-audio-first-times-shielding/
https://theheadphonelist.com/pw-audio-orpheus-the-summit/

They are quite different signature-wise. First Time Shielding is bright-neutral with maxed out technicalities, while Orpheus OG sounds analog with flagship technicals. In fact I would say they are pretty complementary, depending on your overall system.
That's how I hear my FTS – bright neutral with max technicalities. It's one cable I rarely roll but if I did, it would be with XE6.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #1,579 of 1,613
Decided to perform an agnostic yeet and get my first 1k+ cable for Aroma Jewel, without really expecting much.

Currently deciding to get either FTs or 1950s. The offer will be valid only today so need to decide fast =)

I really don’t want any more treble energy on Jewel though most recommend to go with FTs for Jewel. 1950s seem like the more analogue mid forward tuning which Jewel might benefit from.

Is there any community consensus which cables pair better with Jewel?

Feb 5, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #1,580 of 1,613
Decided to perform an agnostic yeet and get my first 1k+ cable for Aroma Jewel, without really expecting much.

Currently deciding to get either FTs or 1950s. The offer will be valid only today so need to decide fast =)

I really don’t want any more treble energy on Jewel though most recommend to go with FTs for Jewel. 1950s seem like the more analogue mid forward tuning which Jewel might benefit from.

Is there any community consensus which cables pair better with Jewel?
Paired both on Jewel. I personally preferred 1950s Shielding because the pairing sounded more coherent . FTs sounded too bright on Jewel, with slightly aggressive upper mids and treble. YMMV of course.

Feb 5, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #1,581 of 1,613
Paired both on Jewel. I personally preferred 1950s Shielding because the pairing sounded more coherent . FTs sounded too bright on Jewel, with slightly aggressive upper mids and treble. YMMV of course.

How does standard 1950s compare to 1950s shielding version?

Feb 5, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #1,582 of 1,613
To be honest, I would only ever pair Jewel with First Times. This combination is brilliant. First Times is a perfect introduction to the world of TOTL cables. You can even find the recommended combination of Jewel + First Times at MusicTech and you can get very good and helpful impressions from Alex https://twister6.com/2021/11/15/pwaudio-first-time/. He also uses Jewel with First Times. I had this combination myself and I can only recommend it without reservation. You are welcome to contact me privately and I can explain everything in German. Personally, I would be against 1950s, because it's too analogic, and 1950sS, because it's too energetic. First Times is perfectly balanced for Jewel. I had actually bought 2x, as good as the cable is, and very important: it's much cheaper! But between the 1950s and 1950sS, I would certainly prefer the 1950s.

Feb 5, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #1,583 of 1,613
Thanks man, lets take it to PM :)

Feb 5, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #1,584 of 1,613
Surprisingly they are quite different imo. The 1950s has more energy in upper mids while the 1950s Shielding is more balanced. I would personally go with 1950s Shielding because it basically 'upscales' an iems performance without giving much colouring.

FTs is no doubt an excellent cable, in fact FTs Shielding is one of my favourite cables; it just can get bright occasionally on certain pairings (especially non-shielded version). That said without this issue, it is a highly 'technical' cable with impressive staging and resolution.

Feb 5, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #1,585 of 1,613
To be honest, I would only ever pair Jewel with First Times. This combination is brilliant. First Times is a perfect introduction to the world of TOTL cables. You can even find the recommended combination of Jewel + First Times at MusicTech and you can get very good and helpful impressions from Alex https://twister6.com/2021/11/15/pwaudio-first-time/. He also uses Jewel with First Times. I had this combination myself and I can only recommend it without reservation. You are welcome to contact me privately and I can explain everything in German. Personally, I would be against 1950s, because it's too analogic, and 1950sS, because it's too energetic. First Times is perfectly balanced for Jewel. I had actually bought 2x, as good as the cable is, and very important: it's much cheaper! But between the 1950s and 1950sS, I would certainly prefer the 1950s.
Interesting to see we have opposing views, and I agree to disagree :beerchug: guess this is the beauty of the hobby:)

Feb 5, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #1,586 of 1,613
Interesting to see we have opposing views, and I agree to disagree :beerchug: guess this is the beauty of the hobby:)
What I wanted to say is that FT is, in my opinion, the safest option for him. The others are more expensive, even if they "might" be subjectively better. But otherwise I agree with you in your descriptions, I just couldn't be detailed as I'm busy at the moment.

Feb 5, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #1,587 of 1,613
1950s is cheaper though :)

Feb 5, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #1,589 of 1,613

Well, as they say, we all hear things differently and have a personal preference, and nothing is wrong with that :) I had a brief audition of 1950s and it reminded me of Orpheus due to its fuller body musical tonality. Relative to 1950s, pair up of Jewel with FT will scale up Jewel's reference tuning instead of changing its tonality. Again, all is a matter of a personal preference, and I prefer Jewel with FT, always come back to that pair up no matter what other cables I tried. Jewel is my reference IEMs I use in all reviews to analyze the sound. I don't want to mask or to smooth out its details, and that is what I found 1950s does to its sound.

There are choices, but no matter what you decide, be rest assured it will be better than that dreadful microphonic stiff stock cable :D

Feb 5, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #1,590 of 1,613
Bit of an offtopic, but those of you owning Jewel AND Traillii or those who tried both, how do you feel they compare. I got an offer for Traillii JP which I prefer visually by far, but not sure it will be just as good of an allrounder as Jewel which sounds great with every genre to be honest even with stock cable.

I am used ZMF warmer neutralish analogue house sound as you can tell by my signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back