Putting .Wavs on Ipods?
Jun 26, 2007 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

tom10167

100+ Head-Fier
I want to do this, I rip them as .wav files, and I put them in my playlists, and when I check the properties, it says it's a .wav file, but the file size is only something like 2.75 megs a minute, and I KNOW .wavs are more like 12 megs a minute.

What is Apple doing here?

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 14
Wavs are awfully large for portable use. This will lower battery life and restrict HD space. Why not just use ALAC or Rockbox+FLAC?
(all of these are lossless and so will sound exactly the same as a wav, but are usually 1/2->1/3 the size)

Full auto settings should work fine, but try madmax7s suggestion too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by axiom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rockbox+FLAC?

Good idea: good lossless format + you can get rid of iTunes...kill 2 birds with 1 stone
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 14
Completely pointless. The whole idea behind a portable digital player is that you are carrying compact sound files around. If you put honking big files on one, you'll kill your battery life, not be able to store as many songs, and get no real tangible sound benefit for it.

See ya
Steve

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 14
You're aware that WAV is just a container format, right?
Which can store both lossy and lossless encoded audio. Hence there are no fixed file size for a minute of playing time...
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 14
WAV will be 1411...........ergo the suggestion that there is corruption of your iPod, meaning restore necessary..............as to the mobility arguement - where has it ever been decided that a person must/should have their entire library on their iPod? I can easily fill 40gigs of space (in a day where 80gigs can be chosen as stock - but do I want/need the multitude of tracks that would be available as compressed files? My personal answer is NO. Some of mine are compressed, and some of the more significant are WAV..
I just recently purchased a 4th Gen iPod to be imodded - to come close to that 40gig capacity and re-tag the tracks really takes significant time..........and sure I like/prefer both .ape and .flac files and play them on my computers. But, for iPod usage.........WAV is my primary preference.

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 14
Using WAV instead of lossless is pointless. There's not a single reason to use WAV but a few good reasons to use lossless (battery life, capacity, tags). WAV is useless and outdated.

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
personal answer is NO. Some of mine are compressed, and some of the more significant are WAV..

The point here is that you gain no benefit to storing these "significant" tracks as .wav, instead of storing them in ALAC or some other lossless format. The .wav files take up roughly twice as much space, sound exactly the same and you lose the benefit of tagging.

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom10167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to do this, I rip them as .wav files, and I put them in my playlists, and when I check the properties, it says it's a .wav file, but the file size is only something like 2.75 megs a minute, and I KNOW .wavs are more like 12 megs a minute.

What is Apple doing here?

To answer the actual question.

You might try retransfering. I tested transfering wav formatted music files, all my music is in wav as a storage format, using iTunes and MediaMonkey and both transferred the correct file size to my iPod 4g.

As for the side argument. GEEZ!!!!!

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Completely pointless. The whole idea behind a portable digital player is that you are carrying compact sound files around. If you put honking big files on one, you'll kill your battery life, not be able to store as many songs, and get no real tangible sound benefit for it.

See ya
Steve

Im with Steve on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back