Putting vinyl onto a hard drive: Which program?
Jul 14, 2007 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

stevenkelby

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, I have a friend with thousands of LP's that he wants to put on to his PC. I made a cable to plug RCA's into which plugs into one of the CD inputs internally on the card. I did this because I have an AV710 so it's free! He has a couple 500GB HD's ready.

Is this the right way to go?

What program do we use to record the LP's? Would WMP in WMA lossless be as good a quality result as anything? If not, what? And how? Sorry but I'm new to software, still trying to set up Foobar well and can't figure out how to burn a flac file to cd either but one thing at a time.

Thanks,

Steve.

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #2 of 18
i use an rca->mini cable from my receiver to the line-in on my m-audio, then use Audacity (free!) or SoundForge (not free) to record. Once recording is finished, I do some spot-checking for crazy pops and what not and edit those out by hand in Audacity. Then I cut tracks from the single large file, name appropriately, and use a script I wrote to convert from wave -> flac.

That's how I do it, anyways.

Jul 15, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 18
I've heard some mp3's recorded from LP's and I can always tell it is from an LP because I can hear the ticks and pops. Make sure to use a prog to try and remove those ticks and pops as much as is possible if you can. I find the ticks and pops annoying but some may filter them out naturally. I know I did back in my vinyl days but after so many years of CD (22 years now) I just can't ignore them any longer and is why I prefer CD to vinyl.

Jul 15, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #8 of 18
Great thanks. I have a it set up to test on my PC with my mp3 player and a converter cable I made going to one of the "CD IN" inputs on my AV710 card. I can hear it through my AV710 output through my Xin but can't get the music to show up on Audacity. I have Audacity set to CD player, but can't figure out how to make it show the incoming audio.

OK just figured it out by clicking the big red button to record. Pretty obvious.
smily_headphones1.gif

When I pause the mp3 player there is some hum, sounds like feedback, if I crank the volume on the Xin. It's in the cable I made and varies if I wave the cable around. Bummer. Maybe the program for removing cracks and pops can remove any other noise too. It's not audible with music playing anyway.

Also, if I save the Audacity file as WAV, the files are big, although the bit rate says 706kbps. We will have to either save as 320 mp3, or somehow convert to flac I guess. Will have to play around more but so far I'm very positive about it.

Thanks for the help!

Jul 15, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go over to the Steve Hoffman forums and do a search using "needle drops." I am sure you will find a ton of information around analog => digital recording over there.

Great thanks I'll do that.

Sleep now. See you tomorrow!

Jul 19, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 18
Sort of off topic, but how does a vinyl converted to flac compare to listening to the record directly. Does it sound exactly the same?

Jul 19, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 18
I haven't done A-B testing, but the records that I convert to Apple Lossless sound, to my ear, as good as any CD or playing the record directly. I was rather surprised by this result. The system is limited more by the quality of the record than by anything else.

I use a Rega Planar 5, Rega Exact cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex phono stage, Mackie 1202 mixer for gain control, recorded on an Alesis ML9600 recorder.

Jul 19, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 18
I have a website dedicated to ripping vinyl. It is nowhere near complete yet, but I have some tips and hints there.

The Vinyl Ripper

For freeware, I like the program Wave Repair for the actual recording. It has nice big peak holding meters and smoothly moving sliders for record level.

Wave Repair also does quite a good job of getting rid of hiss. What it doesn't do so well is eliminate clicks in the automatic setting.

For the best click elimination, you will need to spend a little money. Click Repair uses wavelet analysis and does an unbelievable job of cleaning up the noisiest records with almost no input from the operator.

Record in Wave Repair, export as WAV, clean up the clicks with Click Repair, put it back into Wave Repair for dehissing and then save as a WAV again.

CDex is great for converting the WAV files to mp3's, it will even erase the WAV files when it is done with them if you wish.

Sep 7, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #13 of 18
Hey. I'm having trouble. I've managed to get my turntable set up and wired up into my PC via an amp, and the vinyl plays through my PC speakers. I just don't know how to use the Audacity software. It's not recognising the vinyl.............could someone suggest where i could be going wrong??

Thanks in advance

-Dean-

Sep 23, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #15 of 18
Hmm... maybe just to choose source channel ... as Audacity is not ASIO compatible software, you maybe need to enable the port you have connected your external gear through system recording options (start run... sndvol32 /r).

If you can set the source port through Audacity then if there aren't audio after setting the port then check the system recording settings as instructed above.

jiitee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back