Putting FLAC on a Creative Zen Vison M
Oct 23, 2007 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

allysan

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to play FLAC audio from a Creative Zen Vision M. I'd really like one, but there's no way I'm going to go out and get a set of quality headphones and then play sub-quality audio through them. I tried Google, but Google didn't know.

Thanks!

Oct 23, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #2 of 12
first off the zvm is discontinued. second, hardly any players have flac support, you need to go with a 3rd party firmware, ie rockbox to get flac support and the zvm has yet to be hacked. thirdly, and most importantly, if you can perceive the difference between flac and 225 or 256kbps mp3 or aac or even 320kbps, then you really need flac on your dap. My guess is that you cant, i know i cant, and you can search these forums, the greater majority of people cant tell on the majority of tracks, maybe an artifact or two if youre really good. Point is, sound quality of the player itself and the quality of your headphones, addition of an amp into the mix, even interconnects or a line out as opposed to headphone out are FAR FAR FAR more important than a player with flac because even if you could hear the difference, you couldnt hear it with a bad setup

Oct 23, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 12
Cowon players support flac. Meizu supports flac. Trekstor supports flac.and others.
Get yourself decent IEM or headphone and enjoy!
3000smile.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cowon players support flac. Meizu supports flac. Trekstor supports flac.and others.
Get yourself decent IEM or headphone and enjoy!
3000smile.gif

Oh well... just thought I'd ask. I had been looking at the Meizu mini player. That's probably what I'll end up getting

Oct 23, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 12
LAME -APE is not 'sub quality audio', in fact I doubt very much that you could reliably resolve this from FLAC out of a portable player if your life depended on it. Just convert your library while loading it to the player (will probably take no longer than overnight) and enjoy essentially the same sound quality while using 1/5 the space and getting much better battery life. Or if you want give me your player and I'll do it for you and just tell you that it's all FLAC. That way the placebo effect can kick in.
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 12
most ppl don't have the equipment nor the trained ears to tell the difference between lame v0 and flac... do a bunch of listening tests, and see if you can tell the difference.

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #8 of 12
I just got a zvm and yes, it does support wav. I, however just use winamp to manage loading flac tracks to it. When you try to add a flac encoded song to the zvm it transcodes it to mp3 before putting it on the player. This hardly takes overnight, but it did take over an hour for about 20 albums. I believe you can specify the bitrate you want winamp to transcode to, but it defaulted to 221 kbps and 44kHz. Beware if you are using the new version of winamp. It crashed on me at least three times when I tried putting my mp3 library on it (20+ gigs.) I had to put my regular mp3s on using windows media player, then the flac tracks using winamp.

Oct 25, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 12
FLAC is totally lossless as well, and FLAC files are about 1/2 the size of equivalent WAV files. As poor a choice as FLAC is for a portable player WAV is even worse because it uses up enormous amounts of drive and battery capacity for essentially nothing in return.

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by allysan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to play FLAC audio from a Creative Zen Vision M. I'd really like one, but there's no way I'm going to go out and get a set of quality headphones and then play sub-quality audio through them. I tried Google, but Google didn't know.

Thanks!

Unless you plan to plug your player directly into your home stereo I'd suggest forgetting the whole idea, since FLAC is not commonly used even for portable music players. Since you're using a Zen Vision M I'd suggest encoding your music in 256 kbps variable data rate (VBR) WMA or MP3, since that's good enough sound quality for almost every higher-end headphone designed for portable music players.

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #12 of 12
This turned into a war on codec and file types. Myself I have nearly all my music in flac and just wanted to know is there a hack for the creative Zen  vision w 40gb to play them and not have to convert them to another format.

I guess there is no such way as its now outdated hardware and no one is worrying bout cracking it.
An answer of there is no way would probably have been sufficient answer for the user....as i'm sure he/she was already aware they could convert the files to use on the creative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back