push me to buy an emmeline xp7 or a Larooco Pocket Ref.-or other?- for my hd650 ...
Apr 29, 2004 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
I have to grab an amp for my hd650 - and the search button doesn't function
frown.gif

I was thinking about the gilmore lite / v2 but too much people diverted me from it for pairing with the big senns , it seems it's not the best match for the senns .

I'd like portability of emmeline , but i also read some times ago good things about the Larocco pocket reference .

Anyway sound is my first concern , portability my second ; soundstage , very deep bass ( not boomy ) and airness are my main concerns for sound .

Apr 29, 2004 at 9:54 AM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
Anyway sound is my first concern , portability my second ; soundstage , very deep bass ( not boomy ) and airness are my main concerns for sound .

So you need an amp that sounds good, is portable, has very deep but not boomy bass.

You just described the Emmeline XP-7
biggrin.gif
The added plus is that if you dont like its sound signature, you could always change its opamps to the one that suits your taste. It also has a 30-day warranty.

Edit: I have not heard the pocket ref.

Apr 29, 2004 at 9:54 AM Post #3 of 27
Sound:

XP-7 is the "darker" and "warmer" of the two amps. PocketReference brings out more trebles, and articulates more perceived detail because of that extended treble; it would be considered a "bright" amp.

So it depends on what you think it missing from your HD650 right now. Do you want a more forward treble? Or you want to keep the organic sound of the HD650, and make it even warmer and more organic?

Portability:

Both are about the same size, PR is longer, but XP-7 is wider. Weight is around the same as well, both are very solidly built, not something you can put in your pocket for sure. You'll need a bag for them.

The advantage here goes to PR, because it runs on two rechargeable 9-volts, which recharges whenever you plug the PR into an outlet. Replacing the battery requires unscrewing the top, but you really don't have to worry about it. I've seen about a 14 hour run-time on a single charge (and I never ran it down to the point where it died).

XP-7 runs on two 9-volts as well, but has no built-in recharge circuitry. Battery is more easily replaced by removing the battery drawer. The additional need to carry charger and extra 9-volts around is not as ideal.

Soundstage:

Can't quite remember this one, but it felt pretty close to being the same with me... I might have felt that PR presented more sound imaging with its slightly exaggerated response. XP-7 had a bigger soundstage though, if I recall correctly. Either way, the difference is slight.

Bass:

Both amp will give you very rich, deep bass. PR has a bass boost feature (like the PPA) that will boost the very low bass region just slightly, if you want even more bass (using a lean headphone with it?), it's there.. so it's a nice thing to have.

Airiness:

See statement made about soundstage above
wink.gif

P.S.: I recommend AD797 opamp with XP-7, the opamp it used to ship with is really nothing to be too excited about... it's only with AD797 that I felt XP-7 is competitive. Of course you can opamp-roll to something else as well..

Apr 29, 2004 at 9:55 AM Post #4 of 27
Well unless you get something like the Silver Dragon replacement cable and a serious amp to drive them I wouldn't consider the HD-650s a great choice for airy headphones, if what you mean by airy is a goodly amount of high end. I've have the HR-2 which is a reputed to sound very like the XP-7. It's a very good match with the 650s, I haven't heard the pocket reference so I can't compare them.

Apr 29, 2004 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 27
yes...
stated that big portability is not an issue ( i wouldn't use them for jogging , i need the system to be transportable ) , it's really difficult to make a choice between this two .

I was clearly referring to the ad797 setup when thinking of buying an emmeline .

another problem gpalmer is always getting me away from everything i want to buy
rolleyes.gif
the problem is that his "disadvices" seem always to be good to me ..
anyway i can't think any better of this two for hd650 + transportability option .
Maybe I'll finally give up and use some crap cdp + crap earbuds to end up this endless sound research with a very good crap setup
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2004 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

another problem gpalmer is always getting my away from everything i want to buy
rolleyes.gif
the problem is that his "disadvices" seem always to be good to me ..

Sorry, don't let on about it though, they revoke your membership here for that.
biggrin.gif
I have been through that agony many times. If you can't hear these at a meet near you then I think you need to just dive in and try something. Once you have a baseline to measure against you can start zeroing in on exactly what you want. And remember it's not about the diestination, it's about the journey!
tongue.gif
All kidding around aside, the XP-7 and Senn 650s really go together well (assuming the XP-7 and HR-2 sound as close as those who have compared them say). This will be a top notch system especially for the money and if you decide you want to move on to other gear you can easily sell them.

Quote:

anyway i can't think any better of this two for hd650 + transportability option. Maybe I'll finally give up and use some crap cdp + crap earbuds to end up this endless sound research with a very good crap setup
tongue.gif

Oh no the horror!
eek.gif

Apr 29, 2004 at 10:46 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Oh no the horror!
eek.gif

fashion of horror is always waiting behind the corner ( on my table i've got ready some almond biscuits + panasonic earbuds in the case i give up )

Apr 29, 2004 at 12:26 PM Post #10 of 27
boodi,

Ray Samuels is coming out with a portable amp the SR71, around June-ish. Todd is taking pre-orders.

We were able to listen to a pre-production model at the Chicago Meet (see thread with pics here) I listened to the amp for about 20 minutes. I had it hooked up to my NAD 541 and 650+Equinox (definitely not a transportable set-up). I listened to Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man over and over. The brass was detailed without being bright, the timpanis were impactful and not boomy. The standard (and only) opamp configuration will be the 8610 w/c is known for bass. The XP7 or the SR71 will not dissapoint. I have not heard the PR, but it has some very positive reviews.

Regards - reynman

Apr 29, 2004 at 12:46 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by reynman
boodi,

Ray Samuels is coming out with a portable amp the SR71, around June-ish.

reynman could you please give me other info about that..
why ray has gone for another portable ?
it's maybe for price assembling / reselling issues ?

and how does it compare VS the emmeline xp 7 ?

thanks

Apr 29, 2004 at 2:22 PM Post #12 of 27
boodi,

You may want to PM Ray and find out why he decided to go fully portable. My guesses - To fill out his product line (full size home units, transportable, and portable) and to have Ray Samuels sound and quality in a truly portable amp. I'm pretty sure we've asked Ray when he was going produce a portable amp. I know I have, many times!

From what I remember about its unveiling last Saturday and the pics on the thread:

-Aluminum chassis (production models will be black).
-2 9Vs to power it. ~53 hours of battery life. Remove 2 thumb screws and the back plate comes off and the batteries slide out. No snaps neccesary. Use an allen wrench to remove the volume knob and the entire PCB slides out.
-8610 standard opamps. No opamp rolling because it will be soldered to the PCB.
-1/8 mini jacks for headphone and line out.
-LED, forgot which color
-on/off switch

I did not compare my XP7 to the SR71. I should have because my XP7 has the 8610 in them. Next time I'm at Ray's I will compare them.

I hope this helps, but PM Ray for more technical specs. Great person to deal with.

Regards - reynman

Apr 29, 2004 at 2:56 PM Post #13 of 27
I have no regrets with my XP-7 (AD797 op amps) and the HD-650s. The amp will work for you as a "toss in a bag and go" option. I did not get the AC Power Brick and have not missed it at all in the last 5 months. In fact, I am only on my 3rd set of 9Vs in that time frame (and one set died when I left the XP-7 on for 2 days). My only comparitive drawback with the XP-7 is that I really am looking for a smaller portable amp. I have been toying with Xin's SuperDual prototypes and it fits my needs on the road nicely.

However, my current plan is to get an HR-2 for my home use and sell the XP-7 since it is only used as a stationary amp right now and the HR-2 is the better option for that usage. I will them get the SR-71 for use as the "hi-end" portable solution that I am currently lacking (not counting the SuperDual yet).

Apr 29, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

I have to grab an amp for my hd650 - i also read some times ago good things about the Larocco pocket reference .

These qualities are exactly what you'll get with the Pocket Reference/HD-650 combo. I know it because I enjoyed it just yesterday evening. The maxed-out PR is strong, and its bass is powerful yet controlled, while the benevolent nature of the HD-650s prevents the treble from being bright. A winnig combination, and better sounding than the XP-7 (I compared them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back