push me to buy an emmeline xp7 or a Larooco Pocket Ref.-or other?- for my hd650 ...
Apr 30, 2004 at 10:31 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
please can you specify to me in what terms the Larocco PF compare in positive to the xp7 ?
Thanks

You can find the specific differences and much more useful information in my thread "larocco pocket reference sounds great" in this forum. The search function is disabled right now, but I am sure you'll be able to locate it with google (see the members' lounge for instructions). Good luck.

Apr 30, 2004 at 11:13 AM Post #17 of 27
how about Corda HA-2 with the HD650? nobody seems to remember it in this kind of threads.
is the Corda clearly inferior to emmeline and larocco?
confused.gif

Apr 30, 2004 at 11:26 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugano-san
You can find the specific differences and much more useful information in my thread "larocco pocket reference sounds great" in this forum. The search function is disabled right now, but I am sure you'll be able to locate it with google (see the members' lounge for instructions). Good luck.

took a little time to find it but I'm reading your review now..
I fear the Larocco is on the bright side
maybe this is annoying in the long period

any other larocco pocket ref. + hd650 opinions ?

May 1, 2004 at 11:18 AM Post #21 of 27
referring to my thread start :
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
So you need an amp that sounds good, is portable, has very deep but not boomy bass.

You just described the Emmeline XP-7
biggrin.gif
The added plus is that if you dont like its sound signature, you could always change its opamps to the one that suits your taste. It also has a 30-day warranty.

Edit: I have not heard the pocket ref.

again referring to my thread start :
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugano-san
These qualities are exactly what you'll get with the Pocket Reference/HD-650 combo. I know it because I enjoyed it just yesterday evening. The maxed-out PR is strong, and its bass is powerful yet controlled, while the benevolent nature of the HD-650s prevents the treble from being bright. A winnig combination, and better sounding than the XP-7 (I compared them).

mmmm...

May 1, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #22 of 27
I've been thrilled with my xp-7/HD600 combination. Got it about 3 weeks ago and listen for about an hour or two a night. Still on the first set of 9V's.....that Todd sent in the unit! I also didn't spring for the dedicated power brick but likely will in the future. It's reported to give you 98% of what the HR-2 does AND you get the portability. IMO, that's a great combination. As for the batteries being "rechargable", I don't see it as an issue. It's not as if you were getting 10-12 hours out of the 9V's here. I've seen reports of 30-40 hours of use from a set in the XP-7. If you're on the road, can't see picking up a pair as being a real problem and having a couple of sets of rechargables at home will keep power on hand at all times.

Now as for "portability", I guess it's a matter of your own definition. In my case, that means moving to different rooms and not so much a matter of taking it on the road. I like the fact that I can easily move from the entertainment room to the bedroom without unplugging and unthreading power cords. Even adding the power source won't change that option. Simply unplug and your portable with long lasting battery power. How good can it get?

Now for the sound. I'm not a "novice" but have been out of the loop for quite a few years when it comes to audio. School, family and career have had my full attention but I've recently come back around to a forgotten love so my opinions should be taken with that in mind. Personally, I don't like a real bright sound(the Grover SR IC's brightened things up just right though!). Love jazz, the blues, rock and at times, classical so I needed a head rig which was capable of handling it all. The XP-7/HD600 combo has been a joy and won't disappoint! The XP-7 is an incredible amp!

May 1, 2004 at 1:19 PM Post #23 of 27
I am in the same boat, got the XP7 about 3 weeks ago, and have been hooked on the XP7, HD600 combo ever since. I am spending way too much time going over my entire collection. This combo is not overly bright, which is great, because it is non-fatiguing, I can listen to it hours on end.

May 1, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #24 of 27
What op amps are you guys using? I found a VAST improvement in my XP-7 when I swapped in the AD797. Made the little guy sing like an angel. I can't wait to get my hands on an SR-71 and see how it compares to the XP-7.

May 4, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
any other emmeline xp7 opinion ?

and also..some xcan v3 users can post something about hd650 + xcan v3 match ?

I am still burning-in a hd650 with a new x-can v3. I absolutely love the combination, with one small reservation. I do not think I am hearing all the bass that I might. I have not been able to determine if the v3 is at fault, although I have read other posts here that call its lower end into question. It is specified down to 30Hz.

I suspect that the source I am currently using (a DVD player) is the culprit. I have another unit on its way to SACDmods for modification, and after I get it back and put it into the system I will post an update. I expect I will be in sonic heaven then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back