Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM136, PSM156, PSM1512 Power Conditioners
Mar 16, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #856 of 1,020
Anyone own the 1512?

Mar 16, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #857 of 1,020
I'm trying to truly understand what I'm hearing. It almost sounds like it's on the spectrum of Closed to Open. It feels like there is a focused but small to less focused and large. I think I'm grappling with the sound of things being open/large sounding which can make the overall blend of sounds (as opposed to the individual sounds) harder to grasp fully at once. But soft seems like the wrong word. Don't quote me on it, I think I, more than anything, need to settle with my system. I feel like things are in the final stages of evening out and I'm needing to respect that still.

That being said, what I feel now is that thing you described with your speakers. I'm most certainly considering pursuing more low end / solidity. I'm very curious to try a LPS. I'm not sure if that is where I need to be getting my low end heft (could be a different USB cable) or could be.. not sure yet.
How many days has it been since you put in all of those ultimate cables at once?

Mar 16, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #859 of 1,020
Anyone own the 1512?
Yes it is great without a doubt. I'm very confident in it after trying a number of different configurations. It seems to just about sort anything out. I've never put any huge amps or preamps in it though.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #862 of 1,020
Mar 16, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #863 of 1,020
I would have never thought to even consider this. I generally lean towards simple.
Often- less is more and more can often cause more damage than benifit. What is different here is that this onfilter does nor raise output impedence and therefore in theory should not damage by creating additional harmonic distortion. Meaning- technically there is a possibility of improvement with the reduction of more noise with seemingly very low possibility of damage due to increased resistance.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #864 of 1,020
Often- less is more and more can often cause more damage than benifit. What is different here is that this onfilter does nor raise output impedence and therefore in theory should not damage by creating additional harmonic distortion. Meaning- technically there is a possibility of improvement with the reduction of more noise with seemingly very low possibility of damage dur=e to increased resistance.
Do you already own an OnFilter, or would you be buying it for the purpose of this experiment? If it doesn’t work with the Puritan, maybe you could put it to good use on a different outlet with all your network gear (modem router switch)?

Mar 16, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #866 of 1,020
Do you already own an OnFilter, or would you be buying it for the purpose of this experiment? If it doesn’t work with the Puritan, maybe you could put it to good use on a different outlet with all your network gear (modem router switch)?
I have not bought one yet. I'm awaiting Mike Lesters opinion- but you are thinking like me. If double filtering damages more than helps- this smaller EMI filter would be perfect for my home modem and router........ It runs about $600... so not risk free...

Mar 16, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #867 of 1,020
Frank! Saw you moved to Pass Monos. Congrats! I’m really curious - are you plugging them into the Puritan or directly into the wall? Did you happen to test both options?
All to Puritan, from the few times I tried with amps to wall or to Puritan I felt I liked it more via Puritan. I suggest trying self as I asked this same question prior and everyone seems to have different results/tastes.

I am beyond excited, for life in general due to the hobby. Without this hobby I feel my life would be pretty dull. It takes a lot to get me excited these days, but simple audio related stuff truly makes my day.

The Pass Labs customer service rep (Kent) via direct phone line was super helpful.

If you need a local dealer in NY, I got one to recommend.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #868 of 1,020
:) Sam Smith - Love Me More

Beautiful vocals.

Happy weekend all.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #869 of 1,020
How many days has it been since you put in all of those ultimate cables at once?
It's closer to 3+ weeks now honestly. I haven't been the most 24-hour diligent for burning in, but I haven't completely slacked either. I would say it's burned in a lot.

Things must be at close to or at their burn in stage, is that what you are thinking?

It's still felt to me like things have evened out substantially in the last week as I've been rotating the cables through my PC for gaming sessions. It's either that or something else in my system is being inconsistent. I'm definitely regretting "upgrading" computer PSU's at the same time to a larger one. That def muddied the waters for me. I may have to downgrade just to know what that sounds like at some point here.

Like in the past week I feel like it's been "sharp" with all 3 in and now it's much more "correct" and easier to listen to. Perhaps I'm finally walking away with something more normalized and balanced. I even wonder if the lower end is coming through a bit too. We shall see. I've just really taken my sweet time with it and my sanity too.

Mar 17, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #870 of 1,020
It's closer to 3+ weeks now honestly. I haven't been the most 24-hour diligent for burning in, but I haven't completely slacked either. I would say it's burned in a lot.

Things must be at close to or at their burn in stage, is that what you are thinking?

It's still felt to me like things have evened out substantially in the last week as I've been rotating the cables through my PC for gaming sessions. It's either that or something else in my system is being inconsistent. I'm definitely regretting "upgrading" computer PSU's at the same time to a larger one. That def muddied the waters for me. I may have to downgrade just to know what that sounds like at some point here.

Like in the past week I feel like it's been "sharp" with all 3 in and now it's much more "correct" and easier to listen to. Perhaps I'm finally walking away with something more normalized and balanced. I even wonder if the lower end is coming through a bit too. We shall see. I've just really taken my sweet time with it and my sanity too.
I've went back and forth with the psu's on my desktop. I recently went back to the bigger one, the ax1500i. While the smaller one was cleaner sounding, it had more treble glare. Sounded slightly more fatiguing than the bigger psu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back