Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM136, PSM156, PSM1512 Power Conditioners
Jan 26, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #706 of 976
ALso- in general I understand the Ultimate cable is more resolving but does it give a thinner or more clinical presentatin than the classic or other cables?

I saw one report of someone who disliked the PSM156 with the Ultimate claiming it was thin and clinical but loved the PSM156 with the classic with upgraded connectors.

Id appreciate comments from experienced users on this matter.
My experience is once run in, the ultimate is superior to the other puritan cables in ALL ways.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #708 of 976
FWIW, I’m replacing the Puritan Classic that came with my 156, with an Audio Envy Mega. I recently replaced a very good cable to my amp with an AE cable and the difference was surprising. Great bang for buck. Not saying the puritan ultimate isn’t a great cable, just there may be cheaper options.

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #709 of 976
FWIW, I’m replacing the Puritan Classic that came with my 156, with an Audio Envy Mega. I recently replaced a very good cable to my amp with an AE cable and the difference was surprising. Great bang for buck. Not saying the puritan ultimate isn’t a great cable, just there may be cheaper options.
Does Mega have same flexibility as other Audio envy cable ?
Also is it lightweight? I like Audio Envy and hence may try it out.

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #710 of 976
Does Mega have same flexibility as other Audio envy cable ?
Also is it lightweight? I like Audio Envy and hence may try it out.
I haven't got it yet, Cap told me he's rolling out an updated version within the next week or so, so I've been waiting. The Ocean-expanded is wonderful, and I have a 7 amp version on the way for my DAC. I think he's really onto something. Kicking myself right now for spending $1500 (all Duelund silver) in materials for 5 new sets of ICs, mostly balanced, when I could have bought his and not be sweating it out with the soldering iron.

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #711 of 976
I haven't got it yet, Cap told me he's rolling out an updated version within the next week or so, so I've been waiting. The Ocean-expanded is wonderful, and I have a 7 amp version on the way for my DAC. I think he's really onto something. Kicking myself right now for spending $1500 (all Duelund silver) in materials for 5 new sets of ICs, mostly balanced, when I could have bought his and not be sweating it out with the soldering iron.
I have Audio Envy cables on my DAC and AMP
Lightweight, flexible and sounds good
No complain

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #712 of 976
Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on this thread. I'm a happy owner of a PSM 156 with Ultimate cable. I'm using the 156 with my pre-amp, dac, ddc and streamer in my 2-channel system which also includes 2 subs.

I'm thinking of buying a Ground Master City and Route Master, plugging in my dac, pre-amp, streamer and ddc into the Route Master.

My question is whether there would be any benefit plugging in the 2 subs into the Route Master?

Thanks for all advice and guidance.

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #713 of 976
Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on this thread. I'm a happy owner of a PSM 156 with Ultimate cable. I'm using the 156 with my pre-amp, dac, ddc and streamer in my 2-channel system which also includes 2 subs.

I'm thinking of buying a Ground Master City and Route Master, plugging in my dac, pre-amp, streamer and ddc into the Route Master.

My question is whether there would be any benefit plugging in the 2 subs into the Route Master?

Thanks for all advice and guidance.
Hi, welcome, and yes in my experience active subs very much benefit from signal grounding. I don't have a Routemaster but have experimented with sub signal grounding and grounding an adjacent copper plate sitting across the back panel of my sub direct to my GM. Ditto with my second system, a set of KEF LS50W wireless speakers which are analogous to an active sub (both have a DAC and amp)... signal grounding via a ground box to unused RCA inputs brings a really nice improvement, with two ground box RCA connections better than one.

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #714 of 976
Hi, welcome, and yes in my experience active subs very much benefit from signal grounding. I don't have a Routemaster but have experimented with sub signal grounding and grounding an adjacent copper plate sitting across the back panel of my sub direct to my GM. Ditto with my second system, a set of KEF LS50W wireless speakers which are analogous to an active sub (both have a DAC and amp)... signal grounding via a ground box to unused RCA inputs brings a really nice improvement, with two ground box RCA connections better than one.
Thanks very much for sharing your experience and recommendations. Very much appreciated!

Jan 26, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #715 of 976
I have another question regarding the Route Master connections. I'd like to plug a Gustard U18 ddc into the Route Master. I'm using the USB and I2S connections between streamer and dac. There is an empty coaxial output that would be available. Would it be ok to plug a Route Master rca cable into the coaxial connector or would an rca loop cable be better for this use? Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #716 of 976
I wanted to ask some advice. I have an offer from someone in town to sell me 8 ultimate cables at $400 each (one meter long). They are in brand new condition. If I dont like them, I want to me confident I can unload them without a loss should I not like them. Is this reasonable? I would appreciate your opinions...

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #717 of 976
I wanted to ask some advice. I have an offer from someone in town to sell me 8 ultimate cables at $400 each (one meter long). They are in brand new condition. If I dont like them, I want to me confident I can unload them without a loss should I not like them. Is this reasonable? I would appreciate your opinions...
I would jump at that price! You won’t have an issue if you need to sell them. If it were UK I would have them!

Make sure you allow burn in time if that have not had much usage.

Jan 27, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #720 of 976
I have another question regarding the Route Master connections. I'd like to plug a Gustard U18 ddc into the Route Master. I'm using the USB and I2S connections between streamer and dac. There is an empty coaxial output that would be available. Would it be ok to plug a Route Master rca cable into the coaxial connector or would an rca loop cable be better for this use? Thanks again everyone!
Absolutely fine to use the RM cable into a spare coaxial output for signal grounding the U18. You could also use the AES-EBU output if unused. As to which would sound better.. well only trial and error will tell. I found grounding via coax SPDIF input on my R26 superior to the AES-EBU input, and I'd been expecting the latter to sound better with its more mechanically robust XLR connection.

A potentially cheaper and/or higher performing alternative to Puritan signal grounding cables is to DIY them. Easy with non-solder screw connectors. Would let you experiment across connector types to find the optimal at minimal cost.

I've tried many variants of signal grounding conductors and there's a lot of variation in their performance. My current favourites sonically are a super heavy gauge 6ga braided copper 'strap' (so thick it is challenging to terminate) and stacked Mundorf 28mm wide 0.07mm thick copper foils with PTFE film as insulator between the foils to maximise surface area to optimise skin effect. Both with Furutech AliX copy RCA connectors (as recommended on the Ground box thread) and pure copper banana plugs, both no solder screw attachments. Can share more info if useful.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back