Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM136, PSM156, PSM1512 Power Conditioners
Feb 7, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #136 of 1,032
There's quite a discussion of fo.Q tape over on the AliExpress cables thread including its potent effects that can be detrimental, particularly when used directly on capacitors or other electrical components due to the fact it is slightly conductive. Fo.Q themselves warn about this in their FAQs. But apparently judicious use on capacitors with tiny dots works for some.

See here for the discussion in the last few days... https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aliexpress-cables.963919/page-184

An alternative and/or complementary approach is to use a larger sheet of damping material on the chassis/enclosure. I've been trying this in the last few days with Dynamat Xtreme (foil faced butyl rubber favoured by AfterDark on their master clocks) on a range of components, including the exterior of a linear PS, with quite satisfying results. Fo.Q do larger (and pretty pricey) A4 sheets that could be used in that manner.

Feb 7, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #137 of 1,032
The psm156 is much better in retrieving hidden/obscure details in a track than the p3 power plant. Things do sound cleaner, it is not as dense or romantic as the power plant, but it sounds real and organic in its own way, if I had to describe the tone I would call it honest. There is a slight emphasis on the higher end of the frequency range, which will hopefully mellow out with burn in, but either way, it's something I could live with. The ground master city, I'm not so sure about.
Did the slight treble emphasis mellow out? I am surprised how much more detail I can hear from tracks. I love when the music decays into nothingness. :)

Feb 8, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #138 of 1,032
There's quite a discussion of fo.Q tape over on the AliExpress cables thread including its potent effects that can be detrimental, particularly when used directly on capacitors or other electrical components due to the fact it is slightly conductive. Fo.Q themselves warn about this in their FAQs. But apparently judicious use on capacitors with tiny dots works for some.

See here for the discussion in the last few days... https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aliexpress-cables.963919/page-184

An alternative and/or complementary approach is to use a larger sheet of damping material on the chassis/enclosure. I've been trying this in the last few days with Dynamat Xtreme (foil faced butyl rubber favoured by AfterDark on their master clocks) on a range of components, including the exterior of a linear PS, with quite satisfying results. Fo.Q do larger (and pretty pricey) A4 sheets that could be used in that manner.
Let us know if you try on the Puritan. I always like mods. :)

Feb 15, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #139 of 1,032
Ok burn in is a must. Crazy how much it changes. So far I do notice a very nice increase in micro detail, tighter bass and better instrument separation. Also, treble seems a bit sweeter. At first I was bummed with purchase but I see this could be a game changer. Happy to let it marinate. :)

I guess I will get back to everyone after 1-2 months. Will do an A/B with the wall outlet at that time. :)
250+ hours of burn in. Sound is constant every day now. I do not notice some days being brighter and some days darker.

Sounds great. Very natural. I don't hear anything off. Will need to do an A/B in a bit but like Goldilocks says "it is just right".

Edit: So I did an A/B. Might sound a little fuller going through the Farad3 and slightly more emotive. Puritan has smoother treble and but loses a tiny bit of edge that I like. The Puritan expresses treble micro detail better. So one can go either way. I personally feel the Farad3 is no slouch and sounds a bit better straight off the wall. Either way I will keep the Puritan as I plan to have all my devices go through it except maybe the Dave powered by the Farad3.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #141 of 1,032
PSM1512 here. I don't think so ...

Feb 16, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #143 of 1,032
250+ hours of burn in. Sound is constant every day now. I do not notice some days being brighter and some days darker.

Sounds great. Very natural. I don't hear anything off. Will need to do an A/B in a bit but like Goldilocks says "it is just right".

Edit: So I did an A/B. Might sound a little fuller going through the Farad3 and slightly more emotive. Puritan has smoother treble and but loses a tiny bit of edge that I like. The Puritan expresses treble micro detail better. So one can go either way. I personally feel the Farad3 is no slouch and sounds a bit better straight off the wall. Either way I will keep the Puritan as I plan to have all my devices go through it except maybe the Dave powered by the Farad3.
This is very encouraging to hear as my PSM156 is nearly here they tell me. Your feedback will help me resist the temptation to jump to instant conclusions pre burn-in.

Feb 18, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #146 of 1,032
Happy PSM 136 owner here, and I only have my DAC (Sonnet Morpheus) and Streamer (Sonnet Hermes) connected to the unit, so I stayed with the 136 instead of the 156. I could not be happier with the 136, and it will never leave my system. If I was hooking up my amp to the unit as well, I definitely would have gone with a 156, but I like to go straight from the wall (better dynamics/immediacy and grip) with the amp so 136 is perfect for my needs. It's cool to see this thread getting more action! Of note, it took quite a few hours of burn-in to settle in, and now my system has reached another level of purity (blacker background, deeper staging, a more natural timbre, with more nuance and micro details coming through as well). Upgrading fuses, cables, and power conditioners is a great way to squeeze out that last bit of magic, and the Puritan PSM136 is the power conditioner for me and is definitely a keeper.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #148 of 1,032
Thanks. What sort of difference has it made in your system?
Cleaner and calmer, noise floor lowers to reveal important fine detail. There is energy and dynamics that take you closer to real.
I have never really been good at explaining the magic we hear but the 156 pushes you in the right direction. It's another level of musical engagement.

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #149 of 1,032
Cleaner and calmer, noise floor lowers to reveal important fine detail. There is energy and dynamics that take you closer to real.
I have never really been good at explaining the magic we hear but the 156 pushes you in the right direction. It's another level of musical engagement.
Wonderful.

Feb 19, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #150 of 1,032
My experience with fo.q on power supply caps wasn't great. Tilted the tonal balance up, robbed bass & soundstage width.

I did the following and thought it was beneficial...also put strips on each side of the IEC (which is hard to see) but didn't do the two rows of caps in the back.

IMG_1080.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back