Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM136, PSM156, PSM1512 Power Conditioners
Jan 23, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #76 of 1,032
One thing about the PSM156 is the sockets don't grip the plugs very well and I have noticed this, as due to space constraints, I have to stand my PSM156 on end and the slightest of knocks can have plugs starting to work their way out. My cables aren't particularly heavy so I can imagine this being a problem for cables with weight.
I am aware that Audio Consultants here in the UK offer a PSM156 with upgraded Furutech sockets and iec inlet.
https://www.audioconsultants.co.uk/mains-purification-and-distribution

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #77 of 1,032
Cheers, good to know on both fronts. Food for thought. Maybe the NZ/AUS sockets I need over here will grip my plugs more firmly, which sockets btw do not appear to be listed as an option by Audio Consultants… the Antipodes are a comparatively small market so we often get left off as an option.

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #78 of 1,032
One further question - just so I can sort of mentally benchmark the level of your system vs mine in terms of ability to resolve and benefit from upgraded sockets… what is your system?

Probably a moot point for now in any case I think I’ll run with stock connectors to start.

Jan 23, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #79 of 1,032
One further question - just so I can sort of mentally benchmark the level of your system vs mine in terms of ability to resolve and benefit from upgraded sockets… what is your system?

Probably a moot point for now in any case I think I’ll run with stock connectors to start.
I have a UltraSonic Studios Telemachus amp, CAD 1543 dac and Melco N1Z server modified with a Sean Jacobs psu. Headphones are D8000 pro. This is my end game system and any changes I make now are tweaks.
Oz sockets may well have a better grip.

Jan 23, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #80 of 1,032
Hi chaps, just about to pull the trigger on a PSM156 😀

For those of you who own or have heard the Ultimate power cable, do you recommend it?

I'm leaning towards getting it (once and done etc) as even with it the PSM156 is still a fair bit cheaper than the base model PS Audio Stellar 3 regenerator over here I was considering till I became aware of the Puritans.
Ha. I was just researching the same thing. I have a PSM156 and 4 Classic Plus cables, but was using the stock 20a Classic with the unit and wanted to look into upgrading it to the 20a Ultimate. Figure I'd feed it with the best cable, then use the CP cables for my devices. But so for even with the stock cord it's been a wonderful device.

Jan 23, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #81 of 1,032
I have a UltraSonic Studios Telemachus amp, CAD 1543 dac and Melco N1Z server modified with a Sean Jacobs psu. Headphones are D8000 pro. This is my end game system and any changes I make now are tweaks.
Oz sockets may well have a better grip.
Thanks for sharing, yours sounds like one remarkable and highly resolving system - I bet it sounds superb.

I'm just back into separates again the last 6 months after a few unsatisfying years with KEF active speakers, so my system is at a rather different level of maturity in which this is my first real step to address the power side of things. Still, your and others' Furutech upgrade experiences here and elsewhere are useful thanks, and may inform some selective upgrades.

Jan 23, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #82 of 1,032
Ha. I was just researching the same thing. I have a PSM156 and 4 Classic Plus cables, but was using the stock 20a Classic with the unit and wanted to look into upgrading it to the 20a Ultimate. Figure I'd feed it with the best cable, then use the CP cables for my devices. But so for even with the stock cord it's been a wonderful device.
Great to hear your very positive experience, and funnily enough your thinking re feeding it with the Ultimate and using the CP cables for devices was exactly where I was starting to lean!

Jan 23, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #83 of 1,032
Possibly looking to add the PSM156. Using zerosurge 8R15W-I at the moment. Wondering if adding a dedicated line to the house makes the 156 obsolete? Thanks.

Jan 23, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #84 of 1,032
Also worried about the loose connectors? I want to make sure my cables are snuggly fit.

Jan 23, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #85 of 1,032
Heard without burn in the 156 increases mid/treble energy? Is this true? Just spoke to someone who sold his 156 because it made his system too bright. Is this possible? Thanks.

Jan 23, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #86 of 1,032
Also please PM if you can get a solid deal on the PSM156? USA. Thanks.

Jan 23, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #87 of 1,032
Jan 23, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #88 of 1,032
Heard without burn in the 156 increases mid/treble energy? Is this true? Just spoke to someone who sold his 156 because it made his system too bright. Is this possible? Thanks.
Comparatively with other brands I've tried (AQ, Shunyata, PS Audio, SR) it definitely leans on the bright side. I see you have the Envy, I don't think it's a good match with Puritan or Audioquest power products as both house sound is slightly dry and analytical - they are both great brands but I don't think the synergy is there. If you have tubes, Shunyata or Synergistic Research products are better suited. Shunyata have more weight to notes and SR has a more bloom, both which complements tubed components better.

Jan 26, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #89 of 1,032
Comparatively with other brands I've tried (AQ, Shunyata, PS Audio, SR) it definitely leans on the bright side. I see you have the Envy, I don't think it's a good match with Puritan or Audioquest power products as both house sound is slightly dry and analytical - they are both great brands but I don't think the synergy is there. If you have tubes, Shunyata or Synergistic Research products are better suited. Shunyata have more weight to notes and SR has a more bloom, both which complements tubed components better.
It leans bright even after burn in. Been hearing this from a few sources. Not trying to affect the tonal balance.

Jan 26, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #90 of 1,032
$2899 a good price for the PSM1512? Cheapest I found it so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back