Pure Tube Amp for HD 6XX, AKG K7XX and Mad Dog Pro's
Jul 23, 2020 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ruleof72

100+ Head-Fier
I'm on the hunt for a pure tube amplifier to pair with my current headphones, HD 6XX, AKG KXX and some old Mad Dog Pro's. From my limited knowledge of impedance, sensitivity and such, it seems like my current headphone inventory might make it a challenge to find one tube amp that works.

Listening is a mix of jazz, classical and classic rock at lowish levels. The HD 6XX and AKG KXX get the most use these days. Budget is ideally $500 or less. I have a couple of Schiit products that I'm very happy with. Based on this the Schiit Valhalla is on my list. It seems like it might be a good all around option.

What other options are there out there?

Any help and suggestions appreciated

Jul 24, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 11
The 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD6XX would work well with a OTL (pure) tube head amp, not so much the other two.
AKG K7XX and Mad Dog are headphone I would use with a solid state head amp.
A hybrid (tube/solid state) might do for all three.

Jul 24, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 11
Woo Audio WA-6, Hagermann Tuba.

Jul 24, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 11
The 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD6XX would work well with a OTL (pure) tube head amp, not so much the other two.
AKG K7XX and Mad Dog are headphone I would use with a solid state head amp.
A hybrid (tube/solid state) might do for all three.

Yeah, I've thought about going the hybrid route, maybe the only way to adequately drive the Mad Dogs and AKG in a one box solution. Maybe the way to go would be a good "tubey" solid state and an affordable OTL to cover all basis. The other option would be a hybrid @PurpleAngel Do you have a hybrid you'd suggest?

Woo Audio WA-6, Hagermann Tuba.

Just looked at the WA-6 and it looks like a great solution. Only problem is the $$. Might need to save a bit longer or scour the used market to make it work.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 11
There are used Cavalli Liquid Platinum in the FS Thread that fits your budget.

Jul 25, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 11
Your three headphones are pretty different to drive in tube amp terms. i can’t think of a perfect fit. Perhaps a darkvoice 336se? With a bottlehead crack and the 6xx you’ll leave the kxx on the shelf.

Jul 25, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 11
If you go tube and you want to drive all possible headphones with one amp you will probably have to spend a lot of money.

Otherwise, it is good to have a tube OTL and a tube hybrid, like the guys are saying.

I got a screaming deal on a Lyr 2 and Valhalla 2 a few years ago. They handle all the headphones I have between the two of them. I have other amps, just mean to say that those two categories of amps will drive everything well except for electrostatics, which need a third type of amp.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 11
Your three headphones are pretty different to drive in tube amp terms. i can’t think of a perfect fit. Perhaps a darkvoice 336se? With a bottlehead crack and the 6xx you’ll leave the kxx on the shelf.

Yeah, the combination of headphones makes it difficult if I want tubes. I might just focus on a good tube hybrid fo now and go from there.

If you go tube and you want to drive all possible headphones with one amp you will probably have to spend a lot of money.

Otherwise, it is good to have a tube OTL and a tube hybrid, like the guys are saying.

I got a screaming deal on a Lyr 2 and Valhalla 2 a few years ago. They handle all the headphones I have between the two of them. I have other amps, just mean to say that those two categories of amps will drive everything well except for electrostatics, which need a third type of amp.

The budget is pretty much $500 at this point. I think the focus is to get a solid tube hybrid and add a pure tube later. I've considered the Lyr but it's at the top end pricewise. Any other hybrids that I should be looking at?

Jul 26, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 11
Yeah, the combination of headphones makes it difficult if I want tubes. I might just focus on a good tube hybrid fo now and go from there.

The budget is pretty much $500 at this point. I think the focus is to get a solid tube hybrid and add a pure tube later. I've considered the Lyr but it's at the top end pricewise. Any other hybrids that I should be looking at?

I'm sorry, I don't know. I don't recommend schiit, again the point was the type of amp. There are a lot of threads here on amps and many people can offer suggestions. Look in the forum here https://www.head-fi.org/forums/headphone-amps-full-size.5/

Jul 26, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #10 of 11
I'm on the hunt for a pure tube amplifier to pair with my current headphones, HD 6XX, AKG KXX and some old Mad Dog Pro's. From my limited knowledge of impedance, sensitivity and such, it seems like my current headphone inventory might make it a challenge to find one tube amp that works.

WooAudio WA6
WooAudio WA6se
WooAudio WA22

Listening is a mix of jazz, classical and classic rock at lowish levels. The HD 6XX and AKG KXX get the most use these days. Budget is ideally $500 or less.

Used WA6.

I have a couple of Schiit products that I'm very happy with. Based on this the Schiit Valhalla is on my list. It seems like it might be a good all around option.

What other options are there out there?

Any help and suggestions appreciated

Not if you're driving a low impedance, lower sensitivity headphone.

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 11
For that money, the Bottlehead Crack is supposed to be very good and a great match with the 650s. I've never heard it although I really want to order one and build it as a project.

I'd probably also have the - Monolith by Monoprice Liquid Platinum - on my shortlist. Again, quite well reviewed and appears frequently on 'best of" lists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back