Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC
Jun 30, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #286 of 554
just ordered one. was wondering if you guys use the cables that come with it or should i get some more?

this will be my set up

ipod 160gb (new ipod) > pure i-20 > little dot 1

will this be ok or do i need something else

thanks alot

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #287 of 554
since no one responded let me try to ask it a different way. im using the analogue connection. does someone make a toslink cable that the other end is analogue so i can try out the optical outlet to the little dot? would there be any difference. what about the coaxial out could i use that?

thanks

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #288 of 554
Not possible unless you build a dac into the cable lol.

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #289 of 554
i guess i dont need to tell you i dont know what im doing 
smile.gif

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #290 of 554

Quote:
since no one responded let me try to ask it a different way. im using the analogue connection. does someone make a toslink cable that the other end is analogue so i can try out the optical outlet to the little dot? would there be any difference. what about the coaxial out could i use that?

thanks

Analog is analog, digital is digial. Once you use an analog output it can't be transmitted digitally. However, whether you use optical or coax is preference imo considering it's 1's and 0's but if you do the coax route you'll want to use a 75Ohm cable for cleanest results. I prefer optical, but I don't lose sleep if all I have is coax.

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #291 of 554
can i ask something then....... when would you use the digital outs then. sorry for the dumb questions i am in alabama (i guess we could talk sports) 
smile.gif
. i guess i was thinking that i could run out the digital outlets into the little dot but i guess not.

thanks again

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #292 of 554

Quote:
can i ask something then....... when would you use the digital outs then. sorry for the dumb questions i am in alabama (i guess we could talk sports) 
smile.gif
. i guess i was thinking that i could run out the digital outlets into the little dot but i guess not.

thanks again

We use digital outs from a digital source like CD player/transport, or iPod so that you can use a fancy DAC of your liking to make the analog signal your amp needs. Because the PURE has a DAC you can take the analog output to your Little Dot. However, the PURE outputs a bypass digital signal so you can use a DAC of your liking like say Schitt's new Bifrost, and this DAC would output an analog signal for your Little Dot (DAC = Digital Analog Converter).

There's a certain amount of magic that DACs can do to create differently "flavoured" sounds which is why some people get really picky about them. Depending on that sound signature you can then pair an appropriate amp, headphone etc.

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #294 of 554
No, you cannot run the digital outs directly to the Little Dot amp.  You have to have a digital-to-analog (DAC) converter between your source with digital outs and the analog inputs of your amp.

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #295 of 554
I just want to say that Pure's customer service is top notch. I wanted to buy an extra power supply unit from their US online store, but it has been showing as unavailable for a few weeks. So I emailed them. Then their UK headquarter quickly replied my email and sent me one FOR FREE and with tracking (probably difficult for them to charge my US account from UK). That was their last power unit for i20 though, so please wait till it shows up if you want extra ones.

Jul 15, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #296 of 554

Quote:
I just want to say that Pure's customer service is top notch. I wanted to buy an extra power supply unit from their US online store, but it has been showing as unavailable for a few weeks. So I emailed them. Then their UK headquarter quickly replied my email and sent me one FOR FREE and with tracking (probably difficult for them to charge my US account from UK). That was their last power unit for i20 though, so please wait till it shows up if you want extra ones.

Too funny, because I sent an email over a month ago with no reply. O well, everyone has a bad support story. The unit itself is great value for what it does.

Jul 15, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #297 of 554
helluvapixel,

This is the page to send your email request.
http://support.pure.com/us/newticket.php
To be able to use the above link, you will need to register an account with Pure.

I sent email before to the below but they could not answer my question about product availability (you do not need Pure account to contact them):

Code:
 PURE North America Online Store Customer Service pure.cs@digitalriver.com

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #300 of 554
It does indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back