Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC
Mar 14, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #77 of 554
Hi alpha10, did you follow their manual exactly and what exactly did you try play? I will use Pure's online support system; they do get back to you within promised time (IIRC <72hrs).

I do not have the I20 yet but was told by Pure that any video content that Iphone can output will go out from the the I20, at 576p/i max resolution (standard TV resolution), which is the best of what Iphone 3gs can do. Don't know about Iphone 4 or Ipad.

I will guess that the video taken by Iphone should play on TV for sure. Not sure about Youtube. Please let me know what you found out. Thanks.

Quote:
Has anyone managed to get video out of this thing? I for sure have tried everything, nothing but noise on the TV.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #79 of 554
Ok, I will try to contact them and see what I can find out, I will keep you posted here....

Quote:
Hi alpha10, did you follow their manual exactly and what exactly did you try play? I will use Pure's online support system; they do get back to you within promised time (IIRC <72hrs).

I do not have the I20 yet but was told by Pure that any video content that Iphone can output will go out from the the I20, at 576p/i max resolution (standard TV resolution), which is the best of what Iphone 3gs can do. Don't know about Iphone 4 or Ipad.

I will guess that the video taken by Iphone should play on TV for sure. Not sure about Youtube. Please let me know what you found out. Thanks.

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #80 of 554

PURE i20 digital out VS. ipod classic headphone out

using the sm3.
and mx980 earbud.
the ipod sounds more dynamic and HIGHs are much nicer and better BASS.

SM3:
using the PURE i20's audio out, youll get lesser volume, more relax sound, not too rich but the mids has changed...
tamed highs and controlled bass.
its not sleep inducing.
i cannot call this warm. its not.
but there is improvement on MIDS.
better?
perhaps.
for long hour listening.

MX980:
here, i hear a lot of changes.
my mx980s has changed a lot.
its like its not my MX980's signature.

the sound became warmish.
loosing the mx980's popular HIGHS.
probably the mids are more in there.

thru IPOD's hp out...
the sound is more inviting. more of my MX980s sig.
more...i like it.
the sound i will prefer.
its more alive and cleaner.

probably...what im hearing is the mx980s tuned sig.
when im using PURE, i lost this sig.

huh.gif

its really weird.
what's happening to my mx980s sound?
it changed.
for the better?
i dont know for now.

since im used to the ipod's sound...ill give my vote for now for the IPOD classic's headphone out with much better and more powerful volume.

ill try to differentiate both again by using an amp (maverick d1's amp).
to boost the sound of the PURE.

and ill update this.

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #82 of 554
Anybody know when Pure's going to have these back in stock?

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #84 of 554

Quote:
it would be great if someone could compare this unit to the CLAS

This is a transport dock that will extract digital from an iDevice to feed it into a DAC, while the CLAS will do that as well but it also contains its own DAC. This dock will also stream analog audio from the iDevice, as well as video. The CLAS is a battery-operated portable device, this is not. So they can be contrasted against each other, but not really compared because they serve different purposes.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #85 of 554

Quote:
Anybody know when Pure's going to have these back in stock?

Good question.  I went to order one a week or so ago and was sorry to see they were out of stock.  I hope it's not permanent!

May 2, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #86 of 554
Greetings!,

I have a few questions regarding this device. Read previously here that this device captures the bits in the digital domain from the USB stream. I believe I read that Apple had disabled digital audio out on the gen 1 Ipad via a sw update (unsure about Ipad2)??
People with certain gear may think that the ultimate mod to this piece would be to capture the I2S stream for transport. Any thoughts on whom has that capability?

I2S to a Eximus DP1 would be sweet indeed!

May 2, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #87 of 554

[size=medium]
Still out of stock 
frown.gif

http://store.pure.com/store/pure/en_US/pd/productID.221628800
[/size]

May 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #88 of 554
To clear up my Ipad statement above: I had heard that via an SW update Apple had blocked the USB digital output capability that had been previously possible via the camera kit on Gen1's.

Comparison to Apple Airport Express which to my understanding is limited to 44.1/16 due to its architecture does not impress me that much.
The Pure I20 had best be sounding quite a bit better to justify its existence.

May 10, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #89 of 554
I just ordered the Pure i-20 from the U.S. Pure website, I'm so excited about getting hifi sound from my ipod touch without having to spend $1000 for a Solo!!!

I have a few questions, though. Would this thing benefit from an external desktop amp? I'm listening with Shure se535 IEM's, I've heard that in general IEM's dont need amping, but what do you guys think? Can anyone recommend a good SS amp for <$300? The Purity Audio KICAS looks great, but would it be overkill?

Also, since I don't have an amp yet is there a headphone out on this? Can I plug my IEM's right into it?

Thanks so much! I get it in a few days, I'll post impressions.

May 10, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #90 of 554
The i-20 is not an amp and does not have a HP out.  It requires an amp of some kind to work with HPs.

Great to see these are back in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back