Pure Audio Blu-ray discs on the computer... Is it possible?
Mar 26, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #46 of 52
Yes the end result in this case will be the same, just remember based on your picture that you'll also want to check off the LPCM option (stereo) and uncheck the DTS Surround, so you have only dts-Master Audio and LPCM stereo in your MKV file as that's the two options you'll be choosing between. Will be a quicker backpup.

For future, the difference between selecting titles in the expanded menu vs. doing a full backup is the expanded menu will let you create an MKV file of a particular title. When you backup from the main screen you're saving the exact Blu-ray Disc with all its formatting and file structure but with copyright removed, so no MKV files. Full backup is what I normally use for extracting 5.1 mixes like this unless there's an error during the extraction process, in which case I'll try an MKV of the main title. I'll creat MKV of the main title if I rented a couple Blu-rays and ran out of time on one of them, so I can watch it later and then erase it vs. paying for the rental twice.

Chat soon.

Mar 26, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #47 of 52
Yes the end result in this case will be the same, just remember based on your picture that you'll also want to check off the LPCM option (stereo) and uncheck the DTS Surround, so you have only dts-Master Audio and LPCM stereo in your MKV file as that's the two options you'll be choosing between. Will be a quicker backpup.

For future, the difference between selecting titles in the expanded menu vs. doing a full backup is the expanded menu will let you create an MKV file of a particular title. When you backup from the main screen you're saving the exact Blu-ray Disc with all its formatting and file structure but with copyright removed, so no MKV files. Full backup is what I normally use for extracting 5.1 mixes like this unless there's an error during the extraction process, in which case I'll try an MKV of the main title. I'll creat MKV of the main title if I rented a couple Blu-rays and ran out of time on one of them, so I can watch it later and then erase it vs. paying for the rental twice.

Chat soon.

Oh ok. I'll do full backup from now on then.

I thought in case you said to get 5.1 tracks I'd need Surround one too though? Or are the DTS-HD MA 5.1 and DTS-HD MA 2.0 tracks the same master?? lol

Ok so how does this look? Do I even need that bottom half (from "Title - 522.8 MB" down)??

Screen Shot 03-26-18 at 02.01 PM.PNG

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #48 of 52
Oh ok. I'll do full backup from now on then.

I thought in case you said to get 5.1 tracks I'd need Surround one too though? Or are the DTS-HD MA 5.1 and DTS-HD MA 2.0 tracks the same master?? lol

Ok so how does this look? Do I even need that bottom half (from "Title - 522.8 MB" down)??

In order to extract only the 5.1 and stereo high resolution tracks from the main 18-track concert, you'd only need three checkmarks.

Screen_Shot_03-26-18_at_02.01_PM.png

Mar 27, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #49 of 52
Yes I originally said to uncheck DTS Surround because you already had DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 checked off, the DTS Surround is the lossy DVD-quality core which you don't need to get full lossless dts-ma sound. It's superfluous.

So I checked this morning and the additional dynamic range from the 5.1 track is certainly due to the LFE, rears, etc. When I look at the dynamic range of the stereo from Rock and Roll compared to only the fronts from the 5.1 track, they're both DR8.

So if you're looking to just extract the audio to listen to in a stereo configuration such as headphones, I wouldn't bother with the 5.1 mix.

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #50 of 52
Yes I originally said to uncheck DTS Surround because you already had DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 checked off, the DTS Surround is the lossy DVD-quality core which you don't need to get full lossless dts-ma sound. It's superfluous.

So I checked this morning and the additional dynamic range from the 5.1 track is certainly due to the LFE, rears, etc. When I look at the dynamic range of the stereo from Rock and Roll compared to only the fronts from the 5.1 track, they're both DR8.

So if you're looking to just extract the audio to listen to in a stereo configuration such as headphones, I wouldn't bother with the 5.1 mix.

Oh ok........so you are saying I don't need that bottom half at all. But what I'm still confused about is why are you saying I should go with the Stereo LPCM 96/24 track over the DTS-HD MA Stereo 96/24 track? So last night you compared the 5.1 to the LPCM 2.0 track then? The LPCM is better than the DTS-HD MA one? I thought they would be the same, but not sure.

Please let me know.

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #51 of 52

doby please see my last message. Thanks!

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #52 of 52

I just went ahead and extracted the Stereo LPCM tracks off the disc, and gonna listen to it tonight on my B&W P7s. Thanks again for all your help doby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back