Pure Audio Blu-ray discs on the computer... Is it possible?
Mar 23, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #31 of 52
Someone has already measured the 24/96 stereo track and it looks good, DR9 average. Obviously good DR scores don't mean it will sound good, but based on the remaster project to date I'm expecting to be very happy with this release.

Analyzed: Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won (2018 HD) (1972) [High Res]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR Peak RMS Filename
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR8 -3.72 dB -14.38 dB 01 LA Drone
DR8 -0.14 dB -8.74 dB 02 Immigrant Song
DR9 -0.20 dB -11.19 dB 03 Heartbreaker
DR9 -0.20 dB -10.43 dB 04 Black Dog
DR9 -0.20 dB -11.23 dB 05 Over the Hills and Far Away
DR9 -0.20 dB -10.17 dB 06 Since I've Been Loving You
DR10 -0.20 dB -13.04 dB 07 Stairway to Heaven
DR11 -0.20 dB -15.03 dB 08 Going to California
DR10 -0.36 dB -14.24 dB 09 That's the Way
DR10 -0.20 dB -11.88 dB 10 Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp
DR9 -0.20 dB -10.93 dB 11 Dazed and Confused
DR8 -0.20 dB -10.46 dB 12 What Is and What Should Never Be
DR9 -0.20 dB -10.25 dB 13 Dancing Days
DR10 -0.20 dB -12.24 dB 14 Moby Dick
DR8 -0.15 dB -11.35 dB 15 Whole Lotta Love
DR9 -0.10 dB -10.09 dB 16 Rock and Roll
DR9 -0.20 dB -10.54 dB 17 The Ocean
DR9 -0.20 dB -12.39 dB 18 Bring It On Home

Number of files: 18
Official DR value: DR9

Mar 23, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #32 of 52
It is probably identical to the stereo version found on the Blu-ray Disc, converted to FLAC (on the Blu-ray it's PCM and dts-ma)

Can't say 100% until comparing a track, but it's highly unlikely it's not the 24/96 remastered stereo version found on the Blu-ray given today is the release date. The 5.1 mix on the Blu-ray will of course sound different, but unless there is a pretty large disparity in dynamics I would think the stereo version would be best for stereo listening (which includes headphones).

My Blu-ray shipped in time for release date, so I'll be ripping the 5.1 and 2.0 tracks tonight when I get home and will upload the DR ratings to the database, we'll see then. If they're within 2dB I'd stick with the stereo. If it's a 5dB difference then taking the time to do a 5.1 > 2.0 mixdown may well be worth it.

I C. Yeah I'd very interested in seeing your DR rating comparisons. Please post here when you've uploaded them. My Blu-Ray hasn't shipped yet, but my card was charged, so it's prob going out today I'm guessing? But Amazon says I won't get it 'til Wed?? lol

But still, I know from experience that just b/c an album's DR rating is high that doesn't necessarily guarantee that it's gonna sound better than one with a lower rating. lol

iTunes Store has the remastered album as well, but b/c it DOESN'T have the "Mastered for iTunes" stamp on it, that says to me per my own thread on this topic that its the CD version, and therefore likely a lesser quality master was used. Of course I don't know for sure that they used a different master, but the odds are they did.

Mar 25, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #33 of 52
It is probably identical to the stereo version found on the Blu-ray Disc, converted to FLAC (on the Blu-ray it's PCM and dts-ma)

Can't say 100% until comparing a track, but it's highly unlikely it's not the 24/96 remastered stereo version found on the Blu-ray given today is the release date. The 5.1 mix on the Blu-ray will of course sound different, but unless there is a pretty large disparity in dynamics I would think the stereo version would be best for stereo listening (which includes headphones).

My Blu-ray shipped in time for release date, so I'll be ripping the 5.1 and 2.0 tracks tonight when I get home and will upload the DR ratings to the database, we'll see then. If they're within 2dB I'd stick with the stereo. If it's a 5dB difference then taking the time to do a 5.1 > 2.0 mixdown may well be worth it.

Hey doby..........my copy will come in today per Amazon.

So was there more than a 2dB difference b/t the 5.1 and 2.0 tracks or no?

Also, did you still use MakeMKV and AudioMuxer, or just one? I think I will go with AudioMuxer since I think you said it can do it all w/o a license, right?? I will just backup the copy to my Google Drive cloud so I don't think I really need MakeMKV anyway.

And you believe AudioMuxer is superior to Foobar? If so, why?

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #34 of 52
deleted

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #35 of 52
Hey doby..........my copy will come in today per Amazon.

So was there more than a 2dB difference b/t the 5.1 and 2.0 tracks or no?

Also, did you still use MakeMKV and AudioMuxer, or just one? I think I will go with AudioMuxer since I think you said it can do it all w/o a license, right?? I will just backup the copy to my Google Drive cloud so I don't think I really need MakeMKV anyway.

And you believe AudioMuxer is superior to Foobar? If so, why?

You need MakeMKV to back up the Blu-ray removing AACS and, where applicable, BD+ too - Blu-ray's two forms of copy-right protection.
You can't use any extraction program I'm aware of directly on the disc itself.

Yes there was a 3dB difference between most tracks but I will compare the front left and right channels only first to see whether or not the dynamic range difference is in the bulk of the program or whether things like reverb surround channels and LFE channel are throwing the score off.

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #36 of 52
You need MakeMKV to back up the Blu-ray removing AACS and, where applicable, BD+ too - Blu-ray's two forms of copy-right protection.
You can't use any extraction program I'm aware of directly on the disc itself.

Yes there was a 3dB difference between most tracks but I will compare the front left and right channels only first to see whether or not the dynamic range difference is in the bulk of the program or whether things like reverb surround channels and LFE channel are throwing the score off.

Ohh ok. Yeah Audiomuxer did nothing for me. lol It couldn't even locate the files. I downloaded MakeMKV last night but haven't extracted anything just yet.

Hmm ok. Hopefully you figure it out and let us know. I guess I will wait and see what conclusion you come to before choosing.

Thanks!!

Update: doby.......so I got MakeMKV and installed it, began the evaluation period of 30 days, and put in my disc several times. Each time it would just show "loading disc" but it would never stop loading. (One time it did but that was it.) So each and every time after I tried to get into the disc, and my PC would just show that it doesn't see a disc, and then it opens the CD chamber expecting me to put in a "new" disc. I never get to what it says here. Not sure what's up? lol

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #38 of 52

Yeah I uploaded both of those, I usually try and keep the same formatting in my descripitons [format / #channels / bit-depth+samplingrate / codec].

HOwever if you look at Radiohead Live from The Basement you'll see the stereo log for track 2 shows DR4 (http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/145152) whereas the multichannel log for track 2 shows DR8 (http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/100494). That's a difference of 4dB.

I stripped out just the front left and right channels and checked them and they were DR4.

Fronts from 5.1:
Peak Value: -1.87 dB --- -1.97 dB
Avg RMS: -7.60 dB --- -7.26 dB
DR channel: 4.07 dB --- 3.76 dB

Stereo:
Peak Value: -13.80 dB --- -13.94 dB
Avg RMS: -19.57 dB --- -19.21 dB
DR channel: 4.17 dB --- 3.75 dB

Weird that the 5.1 track is mixed so much louder too, all that wasted headroom on the stereo track which could have been used to not slam the crap out of it and retain the original dynamics of the performance.

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #39 of 52
Ohh ok. Yeah Audiomuxer did nothing for me. lol It couldn't even locate the files. I downloaded MakeMKV last night but haven't extracted anything just yet.

Hmm ok. Hopefully you figure it out and let us know. I guess I will wait and see what conclusion you come to before choosing.

Thanks!!

Update: doby.......so I got MakeMKV and installed it, began the evaluation period of 30 days, and put in my disc several times. Each time it would just show "loading disc" but it would never stop loading. (One time it did but that was it.) So each and every time after I tried to get into the disc, and my PC would just show that it doesn't see a disc, and then it opens the CD chamber expecting me to put in a "new" disc. I never get to what it says here. Not sure what's up? lol

This may seem like a stupid question, but you said it opens up the CD chamber so it's always good to trouble-shoot the obvious first...you do have a Blu-ray Drive in your PC right? It shows a Blu-ray logo somewhere on it?

A725_131019157359979587o8s2mq0_Xy_M.jpg

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #40 of 52
Yeah I uploaded both of those, I usually try and keep the same formatting in my descripitons [format / #channels / bit-depth+samplingrate / codec].

HOwever if you look at Radiohead Live from The Basement you'll see the stereo log for track 2 shows DR4 (http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/145152) whereas the multichannel log for track 2 shows DR8 (http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/100494). That's a difference of 4dB.

I stripped out just the front left and right channels and checked them and they were DR4.

Fronts from 5.1:
Peak Value: -1.87 dB --- -1.97 dB
Avg RMS: -7.60 dB --- -7.26 dB
DR channel: 4.07 dB --- 3.76 dB

Stereo:
Peak Value: -13.80 dB --- -13.94 dB
Avg RMS: -19.57 dB --- -19.21 dB
DR channel: 4.17 dB --- 3.75 dB

Weird that the 5.1 track is mixed so much louder too, all that wasted headroom on the stereo track which could have been used to not slam the crap out of it and retain the original dynamics of the performance.

Oh that was you! Ok. lol I looked for a username but none was listed. Yeah it looks great the way you posted it!

Hmm ok. I don't totally get everything you said lol, but anyway.............so which one is best then you think? 5.1 or 2.0??

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #41 of 52
This may seem like a stupid question, but you said it opens up the CD chamber so it's always good to trouble-shoot the obvious first...you do have a Blu-ray Drive in your PC right? It shows a Blu-ray logo somewhere on it?

A725_131019157359979587o8s2mq0_Xy_M.jpg

Haha yes, it's a blu-ray player that can both read and write. lol

Update: Nevermind doby! It was some kind of an issue with my PC, but I believe I fixed it now. I just backed up the blu-ray disc with MakeMKV.

Ok doby...........so which one is best, 5.1 or 2.0? And also, see pic below/attached.............can you tell me exactly WHICH boxes to check to ensure I don't miss any?

Screen Shot 03-26-18 at 12.44 PM.PNG

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #42 of 52
You don't need to check any boxes if you do a full backup. Don't press the DISC icon in the middle when it first loads, use the symbol directly under the word "VIEW" (second icon) which will do a full back up.

Then you launch AudioMuxer, in options choose "Extract Audio from Blu-ray" and navigate to your Blu-ray back up, int the Blu-ray folder you'll see PLAYLISTS, usually it's the first one that contains the main items but it should show you 18 titles, 2 hours long, etc., and then you can extract the 5.1

I won't know until tonight whether the 5.1 is truly more dynamic, or hte 2.0, gonna be a few hours still. I deleted the files from my PC after I ran the DR logs and the disc isn't in the drive anymore otherwise I'd dial in and do it remotely.

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #43 of 52
You don't need to check any boxes if you do a full backup. Don't press the DISC icon in the middle when it first loads, use the symbol directly under the word "VIEW" (second icon) which will do a full back up.

Then you launch AudioMuxer, in options choose "Extract Audio from Blu-ray" and navigate to your Blu-ray back up, int the Blu-ray folder you'll see PLAYLISTS, usually it's the first one that contains the main items but it should show you 18 titles, 2 hours long, etc., and then you can extract the 5.1

I won't know until tonight whether the 5.1 is truly more dynamic, or hte 2.0, gonna be a few hours still. I deleted the files from my PC after I ran the DR logs and the disc isn't in the drive anymore otherwise I'd dial in and do it remotely.

Ok for now I'll just do a full backup then. And then after I hear back from you I'll use AudioMuxer to extract whichever audio you say and go from there.

But if you look at that pic again, you'll see the one under "VIEW" (second icon, or Backup) isn't highlighted. How do I get that to light up? Even after checking ALL boxes (or none) it still won't light up.

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #44 of 52
Ok for now I'll just do a full backup then. And then after I hear back from you I'll use AudioMuxer to extract whichever audio you say and go from there.

But if you look at that pic again, you'll see the one under "VIEW" (second icon, or Backup) isn't highlighted. How do I get that to light up? Even after checking ALL boxes (or none) it still won't light up.

Once you've opened the disc it logically assumes you aren't going to do a full back-up so it renders that icon unavailable.

From the initial screen, when you just allow the disc to boot up, the option is available.

Like so:

SU_blu.png

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #45 of 52
Once you've opened the disc it logically assumes you aren't going to do a full back-up so it renders that icon unavailable.

From the initial screen, when you just allow the disc to boot up, the option is available.

Like so:

SU_blu.png

Oh ok. Then I'll just go ahead and click on the "Save Selected Files" (or MakeMKV button at right........same thing lol) and let it backup, then await your call.

Thanks doby!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back