Pure Audio Blu-ray discs on the computer... Is it possible?
Mar 7, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #16 of 52
MakeMKV is free while in Beta, there is a temporary code you can use to activate it in the forums, they change it every 30 days or so I believe. If you like it you can also purchase a permanent license.

AudioMuxer is 100% free with no license required, if you use it then you don't need DVDAE at all. Yes, DVDAE can read unprotected Blu-ray discs.

For the upcoming Zep disc, I will back it up using MakeMKV then will use AudioMuxer to extract the 5.1 tracks to FLAC. Then I'll run the DR meter on them and upload to the DR Database if no-one else beats me to it. :)

Haha ok thanks dobyblue! MUCH appreciated! :L3000: I may do this then. Prob won't upload to DR but I check there now and then too. lol Also will prob only AudioMuxer since don't wanna back up CD directly, but instead the FINAL conversions only.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #17 of 52
This is how i would do it.

Rip the disc with MakeMKV using the FLAC setting and unselect all tracks and subtitles and then just select just which lossless audio track you want. Load the mkv rip in to foobar and then convert to FLAC and split on chapters.

Mar 7, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #18 of 52
This is how i would do it.

Rip the disc with MakeMKV using the FLAC setting and unselect all tracks and subtitles and then just select just which lossless audio track you want. Load the mkv rip in to foobar and then convert to FLAC and split on chapters.

Hey Duck........

Ok I will keep that in mind.

One thing though...........I notice that Amazon is selling both the Blu-Ray and CD remasters for the SAME exact price ($18.29). This leads me to think that perhaps the studio very likely DID use the same master on both versions. And since I'd only be converting the 5.1 versions to stereo anyway, perhaps it just makes more sense to buy the CD then, which would be a lot easier to rip?

Thoughts??? lol

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #19 of 52
The CD would be a lot easier to rip but it's absolutely not going to be the same master because it's 5.1 vs. 2.0, it's literally impossible. They may approximate the mastering but that again is highly unlikely, they did TWO separate masterings for the 5.1 track for the live London show...there was a Blu-ray video and a separate Blu-ray "audio" (not actually a different format like DVD-A vs. DVD-V) and the audio-only disc had a more dynamic mastering than the Blu-ray video disc, which is totally bloody stupid.

Stereo mastering - DR9
Video mastering surround - DR11
Blu-ray Audio mastering surround - DR13

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=led+zeppelin&album=celebration+day

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #20 of 52
The CD would be a lot easier to rip but it's absolutely not going to be the same master because it's 5.1 vs. 2.0, it's literally impossible. They may approximate the mastering but that again is highly unlikely, they did TWO separate masterings for the 5.1 track for the live London show...there was a Blu-ray video and a separate Blu-ray "audio" (not actually a different format like DVD-A vs. DVD-V) and the audio-only disc had a more dynamic mastering than the Blu-ray video disc, which is totally bloody stupid.

Stereo mastering - DR9

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=led+zeppelin&album=celebration+day

Yeah it's not the same in terms of 5.1 vs. 2.0, but if I'm gonna be converting to 2.0 anyway, wouldn't it end up sounding the same?

I actually have the London "02 Reunion" show Blu-Ray. Hmm interesting.

So that's more a fluke than the norm I'm taking it, since normally the Blu-Ray video audio would sound better, right?

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #21 of 52
Yeah it's not the same in terms of 5.1 vs. 2.0, but if I'm gonna be converting to 2.0 anyway, wouldn't it end up sounding the same?

I actually have the London "02 Reunion" show Blu-Ray. Hmm interesting.

So that's more a fluke than the norm I'm taking it, since normally the Blu-Ray video audio would sound better, right?

No it would definitely not sound the same, if it did they would just create a 5.1 mix and then press a button that says "downmix" to create the stereo mix. They will create the two mixes separately and they'll be mastered separately. Stereo mix will take a couple days, surround mix will take a week or so, then off to mastering.

As for the specific issue to Celebration Day, there's nothing normal about releasing a Blu-ray Audio SKU for a concert you're already releasing a Blu-ray Video of, if you don't want to watch the picture you'd normally just turn your telly off. I have no idea what prompted them to do two physical discs and master them differently, it's quite absurd and I can't think of a single other release like it.

Mar 8, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #22 of 52
No it would definitely not sound the same, if it did they would just create a 5.1 mix and then press a button that says "downmix" to create the stereo mix. They will create the two mixes separately and they'll be mastered separately. Stereo mix will take a couple days, surround mix will take a week or so, then off to mastering.

As for the specific issue to Celebration Day, there's nothing normal about releasing a Blu-ray Audio SKU for a concert you're already releasing a Blu-ray Video of, if you don't want to watch the picture you'd normally just turn your telly off. I have no idea what prompted them to do two physical discs and master them differently, it's quite absurd and I can't think of a single other release like it.

Hmm ok. I guess I'll forego the CD and go for the blu-ray, esp since it's the same price. Then I'll try out what you guys are saying with the blu-ray extracting. Fortunately my desktop PC's disc player has blu-ray too. And here I thought I wasted money on that! lol

IF this goes well, I DO have other blu-ray concerts as well that I could rip too. We shall see.

Yeah that's really dumb. See, I don't get the Celebration Day thing. I OWN that blu-ray concert, yet I just checked and I don't have a "Blu-Ray Audio Only" blu-ray disc. There's 2 CDs in there of the show, the Blu-Ray concert itself, and then a Bonus DVD of the rehearsals, etc. Where is the Blu-Ray Audio Only disc??? So if I wanna rip what I do have, should I rip the 5.1 or 2.0 tracks?

In other news, Robert Plant is coming to Chicago in June. JUST bought tickets! LOL Saw him with Page 20 years ago and again when he opened as a special guest for The Who in '02.

Mar 8, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #23 of 52
The Blu-ray Audio disc was a separate single disc SKU.

It's this guy > https://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-Celebration-Day-Blu-ray/dp/B009E9R2OK

To be honest, I enjoy watching this concert so I've basically just used by BD-A to rip and measure the DR of the audio, that's my upload on the DR database.

At some point, if I can really be shagged and figure out how to do it and sync it properly, maybe I'll rip the video Blu-ray and then re-author it with the audio from the Blu-ray Audio and burn it to a blank BD50 and that will be the version I use...but I expect I will likely be 6' under before i have the spare time to consider that task, hahaha.

As for what to rip, the stereo mix was done pretty nicely...it's not a loudness wars victim and is far from it. I would start with that one, if you find it's too harsh sounding then you could consider downmixing the 5.1 > 2.0.

Mar 8, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #24 of 52
The Blu-ray Audio disc was a separate single disc SKU.

It's this guy > https://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-Celebration-Day-Blu-ray/dp/B009E9R2OK

To be honest, I enjoy watching this concert so I've basically just used by BD-A to rip and measure the DR of the audio, that's my upload on the DR database.

At some point, if I can really be shagged and figure out how to do it and sync it properly, maybe I'll rip the video Blu-ray and then re-author it with the audio from the Blu-ray Audio and burn it to a blank BD50 and that will be the version I use...but I expect I will likely be 6' under before i have the spare time to consider that task, hahaha.

As for what to rip, the stereo mix was done pretty nicely...it's not a loudness wars victim and is far from it. I would start with that one, if you find it's too harsh sounding then you could consider downmixing the 5.1 > 2.0.

Hmm, interesting. But I guess I'm lucky in that USUALLY the Blu-Ray video disc has the better sound. lol I notice too that under format it says "PAL" which I think means it's not gonna work on a U.S. Blu-Ray player anyway. And I'm in the Chicago area. lol

Yeah I guess if I were to convert these to stereo for headphone listening, I wouldn't enjoy watching them as much. Good point. lol

Haha yeah. Sounds like a daunting undertaking!

Ok I'll just do that then IF things go well with West Blu-Ray. lol

Thanks!!

Mar 8, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #25 of 52
Oh that's just Amazon cocking it up in their usual fashion, the disc is all regions coded and is audio-only...there is no video content on it so it's impossible for it to be PAL PAL is 576i50 and 99.99% of the time is only found on UK/EU DVDs.

I'll see if I can update their product listing.

Mar 8, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #26 of 52
Oh that's just Amazon cocking it up in their usual fashion, the disc is all regions coded and is audio-only...there is no video content on it so it's impossible for it to be PAL PAL is 576i50 and 99.99% of the time is only found on UK/EU DVDs.

I'll see if I can update their product listing.

Oh ok. lol I guess I COULD buy that and sell my video Blu-Ray, but I dunno if I wanna do that. lol May just skip that one altogether and do the Zep DVD and other Blu-Ray shows I have.

Oh ok cool!

Mar 8, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #27 of 52
You could do that, but then you'll never be able to enjoy watching the show again. haha.

Like I said, although the mastering on the audio-only disc is a little better than the video disc, I like watching these guys play when I'm listening (how can you not enjoy seeing that excitement on Jason's face throughout as he nails every song) and the dynamic range is still acceptable.

I tend to listen with my eyes closed a little more when it's studio material.

Mar 8, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #28 of 52
You could do that, but then you'll never be able to enjoy watching the show again. haha.

Like I said, although the mastering on the audio-only disc is a little better than the video disc, I like watching these guys play when I'm listening (how can you not enjoy seeing that excitement on Jason's face throughout as he nails every song) and the dynamic range is still acceptable.

I tend to listen with my eyes closed a little more when it's studio material.

Yeah lol. I'm gonna prob just keep my video BR.

Yes I agree. I think it'll be fine to keep watching it. On the Zep DVD from '03 though, some of those cuts are SO killer that I must have them in audio format too. Tracks like Babe '69 live, Trampled Underfoot '75, Achilles' 79............that Tramped one esp is just INSANE!! To me it easily outdoes the album version, which is still great too.

Yeah that's b/c studio stuff is more perfect and in that case less distracting. With live you always have crowd noise to deal with, which is definitely distracting.

Mar 23, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #29 of 52

Stereo mastering - DR9

So I guess this 96/24 HDTracks version that I JUST found out about which just went on sale around midnight tonight prob won't sound as good as the Blu-Ray Audio version? Thoughts?

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #30 of 52
So I guess this 96/24 HDTracks version that I JUST found out about which just went on sale around midnight tonight prob won't sound as good as the Blu-Ray Audio version? Thoughts?

It is probably identical to the stereo version found on the Blu-ray Disc, converted to FLAC (on the Blu-ray it's PCM and dts-ma)

Can't say 100% until comparing a track, but it's highly unlikely it's not the 24/96 remastered stereo version found on the Blu-ray given today is the release date. The 5.1 mix on the Blu-ray will of course sound different, but unless there is a pretty large disparity in dynamics I would think the stereo version would be best for stereo listening (which includes headphones).

My Blu-ray shipped in time for release date, so I'll be ripping the 5.1 and 2.0 tracks tonight when I get home and will upload the DR ratings to the database, we'll see then. If they're within 2dB I'd stick with the stereo. If it's a 5dB difference then taking the time to do a 5.1 > 2.0 mixdown may well be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back