Purchasing Zhalou Dac
Mar 8, 2006 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
My original idea was a group buy but that seems to have falled apart by now.... simply put, i want to purchase this dac from eddie Wu, with all the upgrades and assembled. How do i do this?

These are people interested so far:
Granodemostasa
Uzziah
Panyncor
Jamesp
Third_eye
Sonance
Jas_kidd32
Cotdt
Beaglepod
Dollar
Wowie11

----------------------------

Looks like the price is like:
Prices(USD) he(Eddie Wu) quoted (might change, so please dont quote me :p)
Zhaolu DAC 1.3 : $80.6
Power supply upgrade : $48.7
Clock (1ppm) upgrade : $48.7 (according to Eddie, 2ppm clock upgrade not necessary, difference sonically minimal)
Headamp upgrade : $38.3 (no more stock, might be coming in)
Assemble Fees: incurred only if you go for upgraded parts, variable depending how many upgrades you get, so ask him. Stock Zhaolu should have no assemble fee.
Shipping : Variable too
Opamp upgrades
biggrin.gif
Y2000 ceramic : $12.80, DY2000 metal-can : $32.80 (found this yahoo hk website selling a used one
The Black caps are 6.5 US
----------
He also said there will be a new one availible in April.

My current idea is to order like 10 of the ones that were ordered in the other thread; that one looks great. sadly i have no contact with eddie, he isn't returning my emails so obviously i can't do this; that and i dont' know how to speak/write chinese.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 52
Just email him with the things that you want
smily_headphones1.gif

eddiewuhk@netvigator.com

With regards to the post above;

Eddie speaks English, I spoke to him once over the phone, it's with an accent, but if you listen attentively you should be able to understand him. He responds to email pretty late sometimes, reason being, he replies to emails for about 3 hours or more now :p Sometimes he goes over to China. If you want, just call him directly.

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 52
i'm trying to find out how much shipping will increase for more than one unit; personally i think i'll buy 2. i seriously doubt eddie would really be interested in giving us discounts on big orders, but you could always ask him.

i'm going to buy 2 of them, and hopefully i'll get an email back from eddie soon telling my how much total shipping will be. i intend to buy them un-assembled. $50 to put the upgraded components in seems quite steep; hope i'm not getting in over my head

personally i find groupbuys to be more trouble than their worth unless you have very good contact with the manufacturer (we have none), and you can really get costs cut by buying in bulk. usually this happens when you have a product that is limited-availability and generally marked up quite a bit. in the zhaolu's case, the price seems so low that i doubt we'd be able to knock off much cost, and then of course you must re-ship it in the usa or europe or whatever, and that takes time, and you have increased danger of shipping problems, blah blah blah

what i'd suggest is if you have someone who you know or lives nearby, just order them with a small group of folk. in fact, pending eddie's answer on increased shipping costs, i might be willing to do that with you if you're interested. i'd want to keep it small and simple. only people in the continental usa, and maybe only 5 dacs at most.

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 52
sounds cool, i was about to order it but the other thread has got me confused on what to task him for. i'm not sure how hard these things are to put together, i personally like the idea of something made since my sodering technique is rather crude.

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 52
sorry, fixed it.
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #7 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
in fact, pending eddie's answer on increased shipping costs, i might be willing to do that with you if you're interested. i'd want to keep it small and simple. only people in the continental usa, and maybe only 5 dacs at most.

Bad news -- just got this from Eddie:

Here is the prize below
> DAC-1.3 $80.6US (110V )
> UPGRADE HIGH SPEED POWER SUPPLY $48.7US
> UPGRADE CLOCK WITH 1 PPM $48.7US
> ASSEMBLE FREE $25 US
> SHIPPING COST BY EMS TO USA $44.2US
> TOTAL WILL BE $247.2 US.
> Don't send money now for I10v one is out of stock and need times to
>make it!!!!
> PAYMENT CAN BE BY PATPAL WITH MY EMAIL ADDERESS.
> THANKS!
> Wu.

I was afraid of that, with the sudden surge in HeadFi orders over the last few days.

When he does have them back in stock, Uzziah, I might be in for a group buy. (I'm in Portland, OR). Depends on what we hear about volume shipping, etc.

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #8 of 52
i just sent an email off to him, i guess i'll have to wait too.

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #10 of 52
I'm interested in a group buy
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #12 of 52
Oh what the hell, I'm interested in a group buy too. I would like the OPA627 upgrade though, am I reading this right and thinking that this price doesnt include the 627?

Mar 10, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #13 of 52
What is the difference between Eddie's upgrades from Lawrence's upgrades, other than the price of course? If i do get every upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back