Purchasing Power
Jan 4, 2003 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Suedama

100+ Head-Fier
I just happened to notice as I was logging on today that there are 4,290 members of Head-Fi! Impressive. But just as I read the number it struck me that this was the ideal situation for a "buyer's club" of sorts. If I were a merchant and someone approached me saying that he could guarantee 100 or 200 or 300 sales of a product if I gave an x% discount, I would certainly think about it.

Has anyone tried this at Head-Fi?

Jan 4, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 9
At least once with a group purchase of some Brick Wall power stuff. I don't remember hearing whether or not the purchase went thru, but the savings seemed substantial for the 20 or so that really wanted to do it.

Maybe someone can start a thread with a title of "I'm gonna purchase x" and see how many people are insterested. Not everyone will give a discount, but it's probably worth a try.

Jan 5, 2003 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 9
i totally agree.

perhaps we can talk to jude or a mod about a group buy sticky in the FS forum.

while im going to be saving money for a while, a great deal could tease me out of my hoarding...

Jan 5, 2003 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 9
hmmm

i promised myself over vacation that i would squirrel my money away and use it on things other than purely headphone-related equipment...

but if someone put together a substantial savings on dt770 pros or a nice SACD source... this lobster might crawl out of his rocky dwelling and once again SPEND SPEND SPEND (are you listening, merchants?)
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2003 at 7:12 AM Post #5 of 9
I do remember MacDEF doing the legwork for a group buy of Outlaw cables. From what I recall, there were quite a few Head-Fi members involved.

Jan 5, 2003 at 7:33 AM Post #6 of 9
Yeah - the Outlaw cable buy worked out very nicely. (*pats his 1.2m set*)

I dunno- I think we could get a few people to jump on the bandwagon if we could get a retailer to sell $1000 Sony SCD-1s
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2003 at 7:43 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Suedama
I just happened to notice as I was logging on today that there are 4,290 members of Head-Fi! Impressive. But just as I read the number it struck me that this was the ideal situation for a "buyer's club" of sorts. If I were a merchant and someone approached me saying that he could guarantee 100 or 200 or 300 sales of a product if I gave an x% discount, I would certainly think about it.

Has anyone tried this at Head-Fi?

We do have someone who will sometimes give discounts to Headfi'ers. Headroom, one of our sponsers. By participating in forums, you can get some of their amps to try out and then buy at reasonable discounts. They have been very good to me.

Jan 5, 2003 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
I do remember MacDEF doing the legwork for a group buy of Outlaw cables. From what I recall, there were quite a few Head-Fi members involved.

yeah, thanks to MacDEF!!

I shoulda got another pair(or another 2 pair) there and than too
frown.gif

Jan 5, 2003 at 8:14 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Yeah - the Outlaw cable buy worked out very nicely. (*pats his 1.2m set*)

I dunno- I think we could get a few people to jump on the bandwagon if we could get a retailer to sell $1000 Sony SCD-1s
smily_headphones1.gif

SCD-1 was the first player ever to support SACD, wasn't it? Open your mind, aim higher
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back