Purchasing new headphone/amp combo
May 15, 2010 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Zafsk

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm going to be purchasing a pair of AKG K702s, and an amp to go along side it. I'm thinking that I will likely be getting the Audio GD C2-C, but if you guys have other suggestions, I would definitely appreciate it. I'm mostly curious if I'm making the right amplifier decision here. I've read about the Little Dot MK-V, and others, but I've generally heard that this is the best one for its price-range. I've got a flexible budget for the amp, but I'd like to be around $300 (+/- $100, if need be). If it'll help, here's a list of the music I've been listening to lately:

Belle & Sebastian
R.E.M.
My Bloody Valentine
Sebadoh
Dinosaur Jr.
The White Stripes
Sleater-Kinney
Galaxie 500
She & Him
Joy Division
Grizzly Bear
Animal Collective
The Menkons
J Mascis + The Fog
Manic Street Preachers
Meat Puppets
Miles Davis
Frank Sinatra
The Pixies
The Magnetic Fields
Scrabbel
Sonic Youth
Nirvana
The Velvet Underground
The XX
The Beatles
The Dead Kennedys

I could keep going, but needless to say, it varies a bit but there's a few genres I don't listen to very often (classical, rap, not too much metal either). So, do you guys have any suggestions before I start spending too much money (it was inevitable, you guys warned me about my wallet, I suppose). Also, I have a Razer Barracuda as my soundcard, do I need a DAC?

Thanks so much.

May 16, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 4
Also, another question -- should I order from Audio-GD directly or is there a reseller that I should be looking for?

May 16, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 4
pacific valve & electric buys and resells audio-gd.  they upcharge a little bit for their services.
which, basically amount to importing, testing, and repairing the product in case it fails.
which you can't get if you buy straight from china.

they also incentivise by modding some products such as the audio-gd amps and dacs.  not sure the extent to which they do this, but it's usually replacing some opamp with one they think sounds better, and charging 50 bucks for that...

is it worth it?  i'll leave that for others to testify to...

May 16, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks, any significant comparisons between the Audio GD C2-C and the C2? Is it worth the extra few bucks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back