Purchasing my very first DAC, for use with E-MU 1212m & Corda ARIA.
Dec 29, 2005 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

shuurajou

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks,

Recently I've become very interested in purchasing a DAC. I currently use an E-MU 1212m with analogue out (terrible ic's though I believe) to my Corda ARIA amp's analogue in. The headphones that I use does very. I currently own the Headphones listed in my signature but generally I'm listening to the HF-1's at the moment, but this is likely to change between HF-1's, HD650's & my ATH-A900's.

I did put in a few bids for a Dialogue II DAC, but ended up losing out on the auction, so I'm taking this as a chance to reflect and think about this more before purchasing again. I'm not really wanting to spend more than $300, but if product there is worth the extra cash (not talking $1000), then please do tell me.

For certain, I do prefer the analogue sound, which is why I feel that a Non-OS DAC is probably the choice for me, although I am willing to consider an OS DAC. I am not very well educated in DAC's at the moment - this will be my first, so please share your thoughts.

The choice of output from my E-MU 1212m will be COAX, as I feel Toslink is too clinical sounding for music. Mobility is not an issue, it can be huge and heavy, it's going to be kept in one place.

Dec 29, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 21
The Corda ARIA does have a DAC, but the DAC only supports input via USB. I personally prefer the E-MU 1212m over the DAC in the Aria, as the DAC in the area, to my ears, feels weak - but I really haven't used it very much so don't take that as gospel.

Dec 29, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 21
If you could take a little more time to compare the
DAC in the Aria to the DAC in your Emu that might
be very useful to people here.
Sorry I can't recommend a better DAC - no experience - yet.

If you search the dedicated source forum for NOS DAC you'd
probably get lots of matches.

Dec 29, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dknightd
If you could take a little more time to compare the
DAC in the Aria to the DAC in your Emu that might
be very useful to people here.
Sorry I can't recommend a better DAC - no experience - yet.

If you search the dedicated source forum for NOS DAC you'd
probably get lots of matches.

At risk of giving everybody the wrong opinion on the DAC, I'd tried to reframe from doing that so far. Like I said - it feels weak to me. Not in an 'this is awful way', it just seems there isn't enough power behind the DAC. This by no stretch of imagination means it is awful or anything of the like, but, I feel I'm happier using my E-MU 1212m.

Dec 29, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 21
Well, I own a corda amp and the aqvox DAC (aqvox.de) sings VERY well with it. If you want it, price goes up on january 1st.
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 29, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 21
I could be totaly wrong but I was under the impresion that the 1212 was as good as any udner $300 DAC, but at that price range I think your options would be the headroom micro DAC or the firestone audio Spitfire, then again I havent heard any of these just trying to help you get started.

Dec 30, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by green84061
I could be totaly wrong but I was under the impresion that the 1212 was as good as any udner $300 DAC, but at that price range I think your options would be the headroom micro DAC or the firestone audio Spitfire, then again I havent heard any of these just trying to help you get started.

Thanks for the input. I've just heard a few people say the Dialogue II and the E-Mu 0404 is night and day (in favour of the Dialogue II); I'm aware the E-Mu 1212m and 0404 are very similar. Hopefully some more people will share their thoughts on this though.

Dec 30, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #10 of 21
I like my Dialogue II better then the X-FI. Not sure i'd call it nite and day, but it's a signifigant upgrade. There's a few people here that have heard the 404 vs NON-OS dac's. I havent read/seen anyone yet that prefered the 404... YMMV.

Dec 30, 2005 at 9:45 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW
I like my Dialogue II better then the X-FI. Not sure i'd call it nite and day, but it's a signifigant upgrade. There's a few people here that have heard the 404 vs NON-OS dac's. I havent read/seen anyone yet that prefered the 404... YMMV.

Indeed, that is why I was considering purchasing the Dialogue II. I am able to buy one at the moment for $270 - whether that's a good price for this product I'm not sure - or if there are any alternatives.

Dec 30, 2005 at 9:55 AM Post #12 of 21
270 is to much, they normally go for 180-210$. An alternative is the DAC-AH which can be found at "DIY Club" for 135$ +40$ shipping (ships from china)

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:25 AM Post #13 of 21
I'm starting to rethink my strategy here.

When I perform an upgrade to my setup, I do like it to be something that is more than just 'slightly' better. Baring this in mind - what would folks think the next step would be in this setup? Currently I do have terrible 1/4" to RCA IC's that I just got from a highstreet store.

Regardless of price, what DAC's are out there which most would feel outperform the E-Mu 1212m? It seems that most think the Analogue II, or any DAC in my price range of $300 are going to be a significant improvement.

Dec 30, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 21
If your willing to wait awhile and save, consider Channel Islands VDA2, Benchmark 1, Bel Canto 2, Musical Fidedlity A3 24, Ack 2.0.. They will run 500-800 used and some new (700$ for ack and 600 for vda2). Rather they sound alot better then Dialogue II I don't know, i've never heard any of them, and most of them are oversampling dac's with the exception of the ack 2.0. Im saving for a vda2 now, but I may not even like it better.

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #15 of 21
In my experience, you're going to need to spend quite a bit of money to get a significant improvement over the DAC built into the 1212M. After using the 1212M for a few months I upgraded to a Benchmark DAC1, which did indeed sound better, but it was hardly an earth-shattering improvement. I think your money is better spent on items like amps and headphones (and speakers!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back