Purchasing headphones under $150
Dec 27, 2012 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

oopla3

New Head-Fier
I am looking to buy a very durable, comfortable and great sounding headphone. I don't mind wether it is over the ear or on the ear. I listen to 50% rock and 50% rap/ pop. I want something that will last a while, that I can listen for a while without pain and sound good. I have $150 to spend and I need some advice. I was looking at the sol republic track hd's, the Marshall major's, and the audio technica, any recomendations?

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:
I am looking to buy a very durable, comfortable and great sounding headphone. I don't mind wether it is over the ear or on the ear. I listen to 50% rock and 50% rap/ pop. I want something that will last a while, that I can listen for a while without pain and sound good. I have $150 to spend and I need some advice. I was looking at the sol republic track hd's, the Marshall major's, and the audio technica, any recomendations?

Beyer Custom One Pro's.

Very best,

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
how would these compare to the vmoda crossfade's or the audio technica m50?

Frankly superior.

Excellent isolation. The sound quality is wonderful, clean, clear, crisp, mids are wonderful, not overly bright, with variable bass which you can adjust from very neutral and thin to monstrous levels, and it does the monstrous levels of bass on it's setting quite nicely without distorting of flubbing, it actually sounds nice, a little loose, but very meaty and visceral. Sound stage is excellent, better than the Vmoda & M50. Comfort is better too, bigger, deeper cups, and the faux leather material is swappable, big, thick and very comfortable (and can be changed to velour or microfiber at your leisure). Headband is swappable. Cable is detachable. It doesn't need an amplifier at all, it's 16ohm and can run from a potato and sounds wonderful without an extra expense tagged on, from your phone, from your desktop, doesn't matter. The switchable venting system that controls bass response is excellent, it works well, it's not just a gimmick, it's just a vented port that you can open at various radius and close, it's very durable and clicks nicely, feels stable and not like junk plastic. Cable is short, not 10 feet long, so great for portable and home use (and again, detaches and is replaceable if you want). Plus you can swap decals, the plates come off, and you can put different aluminum inserts (I got the carbon fiber looking one it's sweet) to make it as stylish as you want.

The COP is generally $150 and frankly, is something I recommend over the typical stuff at this price point because it just has features that other headphones lack while still having excellent quality and so much customization that really works and isn't just gimmick. Beyer really did a great job with this portable/studio/home use headphone and it's fantastic for production and casual music alike the way it's ports adjust. Great for a basshead, and great for someone who wants a neutral headphone, it's actually able to do both just fine and does it well.

Very best,

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 14
I see you recommending these quite a bit as a closed can under $200.
How do they compare to the Beyer DT770 Pro-80's (across all categories)? I'm especially curious about comparisons of the mids, bass, comfort, and soundstage.
Thanks.

Quote:

Frankly superior.

Excellent isolation. The sound quality is wonderful, clean, clear, crisp, mids are wonderful, not overly bright, with variable bass which you can adjust from very neutral and thin to monstrous levels, and it does the monstrous levels of bass on it's setting quite nicely without distorting of flubbing, it actually sounds nice, a little loose, but very meaty and visceral. Sound stage is excellent, better than the Vmoda & M50. Comfort is better too, bigger, deeper cups, and the faux leather material is swappable, big, thick and very comfortable (and can be changed to velour or microfiber at your leisure). Headband is swappable. Cable is detachable. It doesn't need an amplifier at all, it's 16ohm and can run from a potato and sounds wonderful without an extra expense tagged on, from your phone, from your desktop, doesn't matter. The switchable venting system that controls bass response is excellent, it works well, it's not just a gimmick, it's just a vented port that you can open at various radius and close, it's very durable and clicks nicely, feels stable and not like junk plastic. Cable is short, not 10 feet long, so great for portable and home use (and again, detaches and is replaceable if you want). Plus you can swap decals, the plates come off, and you can put different aluminum inserts (I got the carbon fiber looking one it's sweet) to make it as stylish as you want.

The COP is generally $150 and frankly, is something I recommend over the typical stuff at this price point because it just has features that other headphones lack while still having excellent quality and so much customization that really works and isn't just gimmick. Beyer really did a great job with this portable/studio/home use headphone and it's fantastic for production and casual music alike the way it's ports adjust. Great for a basshead, and great for someone who wants a neutral headphone, it's actually able to do both just fine and does it well.

Very best,

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
I see you recommending these quite a bit as a closed can under $200.
How do they compare to the Beyer DT770 Pro-80's (across all categories)? I'm especially curious about comparisons of the mids, bass, comfort, and soundstage.
Thanks.

Heya,

I actually think they're better than the DT770 at this point. The mids are great, vocals sound like they should. It's less bright, so that edge of the DT770 is tame. Bass is similar, but you get to choose 4 different responses basically (from anemic, to flat/neutral, to slightly warmer, to bassy). It's not a gimmick either, it works very well and sounds fantastic. At maximum vented, the bass is very good, very basshead friendly. The pads are not velour, they're a very soft but thick material like a faux leather, thick too. It's very comfortable to wear, but it isolates very well too. Sound stage is great, it's not an open headphone, but it's appropriate for a nice closed back headphone. It's not boxed in and cramped to me, sounds like most other fully closed headphones (not quite as wide as a semi-open closed headphone, or some headphones with angled drivers). Comfort is Beyer-worthy, very good. I think the COP is a great alternative to the discontinued DT770 and with its new features is basically replacing the DT770 (one of my all time favorites) as Beyers new $150~180 range "do it all" headphone. The features and accessories are excellent, they really nailed a good headphone with this production unit. Detachable cable, replaceable pads, headband, and decal plates (made of aluminum) and they have more colors coming up (not just black). Plus a non-gimmick venting control option that allows you to choose between neutral and warm or really bassy, and it really works well and adds a whole new world of hardware equalization if you will to the game. I like being able to just flick it to neutral for certain things, and it really sounds like a good reference monitor in that setting, good for production even, and then flick it to bassy for fun music. I've ran classical through dub through it and it really just handles everything well. It's not a flagship, but for a closed headphone that can be desktop worthy and portable, with it's excellent feature list and customization, it's a real winner in my book. Plus it's price is just so consumer friendly. It's cheaper than the typical $200~300 stuff being released, yet built to last, and sounds fantastic.

Very best,

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Heya,

I actually think they're better than the DT770 at this point. The mids are great, vocals sound like they should. It's less bright, so that edge of the DT770 is tame. Bass is similar, but you get to choose 4 different responses basically (from anemic, to flat/neutral, to slightly warmer, to bassy). It's not a gimmick either, it works very well and sounds fantastic. At maximum vented, the bass is very good, very basshead friendly. The pads are not velour, they're a very soft but thick material like a faux leather, thick too. It's very comfortable to wear, but it isolates very well too. Sound stage is great, it's not an open headphone, but it's appropriate for a nice closed back headphone. It's not boxed in and cramped to me, sounds like most other fully closed headphones (not quite as wide as a semi-open closed headphone, or some headphones with angled drivers). Comfort is Beyer-worthy, very good. I think the COP is a great alternative to the discontinued DT770 and with its new features is basically replacing the DT770 (one of my all time favorites) as Beyers new $150~180 range "do it all" headphone. The features and accessories are excellent, they really nailed a good headphone with this production unit. Detachable cable, replaceable pads, headband, and decal plates (made of aluminum) and they have more colors coming up (not just black). Plus a non-gimmick venting control option that allows you to choose between neutral and warm or really bassy, and it really works well and adds a whole new world of hardware equalization if you will to the game. I like being able to just flick it to neutral for certain things, and it really sounds like a good reference monitor in that setting, good for production even, and then flick it to bassy for fun music. I've ran classical through dub through it and it really just handles everything well. It's not a flagship, but for a closed headphone that can be desktop worthy and portable, with it's excellent feature list and customization, it's a real winner in my book. Plus it's price is just so consumer friendly. It's cheaper than the typical $200~300 stuff being released, yet built to last, and sounds fantastic.

Very best,

And would you recommend this over the CAL!; is it an upgrade?

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #10 of 14
today i got the dt770 Limited Edition and i am not impressed. they sound nearly the same as my 2005 Editions. I would call them bass light compared to the q40s.

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #12 of 14
If the COP and DT770 PRO 250 Ohm are the same price, would anyone pick up the COP and forgo the DT770 (though in the end, I know an amp is needed for the DT770 but I figure the COP could use one or benefit from one too....so taking an amp out of the equation)?

Dec 29, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
If the COP and DT770 PRO 250 Ohm are the same price, would anyone pick up the COP and forgo the DT770 (though in the end, I know an amp is needed for the DT770 but I figure the COP could use one or benefit from one too....so taking an amp out of the equation)?

Heya,

Owning several DT770's and the COP, I would get the COP over all of them if given the option to only have one.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back