Purchasing: "Closed-back" headphones.
Oct 12, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by D4R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the Denon D1001? Relatively affordable entry into the Denon line that is absolutely smooth sounding that has a little kick in the lower bass even without an amp.

For the price that they're going at now, there are better options. ATH-ES7 is in the same league, but a different flavor and at a cheaper price (if you look hard enough).

Quote:

BTW the AKG isolates better than the Denon, in case you need that.

I didn't test isolation, but I've used AKG240M's, and they didn't really isolate at all :O .

+1 to Tiemen's recommendation for the DT150. Fantastic sounding, especially given their relatively cheap used price (check the FS forums). Sound even better with a few quick mods.

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #17 of 33
Wow, folks. The OP lists specific brands and a type of headphone (closed) he's looking for, and within few posts, everything but has been suggested.

@OP, since you said that you could find Audio Technica, I also recommend the ESW9s unless you need a lot of isolation, in which case, they're not the best, even if they sound wonderful. The Sennheiser HD25-1, is also a good recommendation for a fun sounding phone that's also comfy, isolates extremely well, and is also quite sturdy. Both are considered portable headphones, and neither require an amp (forget the fiio unless you like gimmicks), but the esw9 sounds as good or better than many full-size headphones.

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't test isolation, but I've used AKG240M's, and they didn't really isolate at all :O .

Yeah, the AKG240M doesn't isolate very well since it's a semi-open design.

Oct 12, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, folks. The OP lists specific brands and a type of headphone (closed) he's looking for, and within few posts, everything but has been suggested.

The OP's brands are the well known European brands, therefore, I figured that Beyerdynamic (being German just like Senn) would be good.

Quote:

Yeah, the AKG240M doesn't isolate very well since it's a semi-open design.

Heh, that would make sense
tongue.gif

Oct 12, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #20 of 33
I have two pair of HD 280: one HD 280pro (64 ohm), one HD 280-13 (300 ohm). The HD 280pro sells for less than $100 in the US, and I would not hesitate to recommend it. I am not familiar with the other phones on the list, so I cannot compare. For me the most important things about the HD 280's (other than the sound) are the comfort and isolation.

The HD 280's will work from an iPod (I've only tried with the iPod Shuffle) or from computer line outputs, but for me they sound much better amplified.

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

He mentioned Sony, I recommended a closed Sony.
And some more that should be easily available in Sweden.

Oct 12, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #22 of 33
Here we go.
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex
I have the fabulous ESW10JPN's - but they are pricey. have a look at the ESW9's

I couldn't find either "ESW9" or "ESW10" in any swedish store. I although found "Audio Technica ATH-ES7" for a reasonable price (right on my budget almost). Is it any good?

Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd
senn hd25-1 ii is a great sounding, fun sounding can that takes a beating. absolutely sounds excellent without an amp. my daughter just sold her grado hf1's to get a pair of these. told me last night that they sound awesome outta her ipod. I use mine out of my laptop and they kick a**. they also scale up: they sound fantastic outta my main rig and deliver a lot of what is there to be heard.

There's alot of version of these I see now. (HD-25, HD-25 SP-II, HD-25 SP1, HD-25-i II, HD-25 II) What's the difference between all these models? (they are separated with a ,)

Most of the models are 30%(-ish) over my budget, although one of them, the HD-25 SP1 is in my budget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen
Closed headphones that are fun to listen to are IMO: GermanMAESTRO GMP 250, M-Audio Studiophile Q40, Sony MDR-XB700, BeyerDynamic DT150.

I couldn't find "GermanMAESTRO GMP 250".

The "M-Audio Studiophile Q40" was only being sold in a very strange store for a overprice I think since it was over twice my budget.

The "Sony MDR-XB700" showed up on alot of stores at a good price. Anyone got any review or anything regarding this model?

"BeyerDynamic DT150" has an impedance of 250 which is a bit high without an amplifier I think. They were also just one store selling these which is a sign I think.

Thanks for your suggestions.
normal_smile .gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by D4R
How about the Denon D1001? Relatively affordable entry into the Denon line that is absolutely smooth sounding that has a little kick in the lower bass even without an amp.

I power my AKG271mkII via a Behringer mixer so I can control the bass output. Just a little twist of the low freq knob brings the bass out a bit better. Then I enjoy the music for the rest of the day at the office (velour pads). It however has been relegated to home use because of the D1001 (easier to lug around).

You really can't go wrong with the 271 (either the S or the MKII model). And you can always upgrade in the future. It may not be as "fun" sounding as the Denon, but it sure kept me content, happy, and sane at the office.

BTW the AKG isolates better than the Denon, in case you need that.

Those Denons actually look really good. They've gotten alot of good reviews and also has a reasonable price. I'm going to look further into those. If anyone has these, tell me your impression.

Do you know if they are "around-ear" or "on-ear"?

---

Could someone please clear up all these models on AKG K272(K271?) for me?
tongue_smile.gif

Also do you want that "fun" sounding or not? And would you count K272 as HiFi cans or Studio headphones? I heard AKG got very good quality on their products, so these are also intresting.
normal_smile .gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272
For the price that they're going at now, there are better options. ATH-ES7 is in the same league, but a different flavor and at a cheaper price (if you look hard enough).

I've been suggested the ATH-ES7 earlier. In swedish stores the Denon D1001 Audio-Technica is at about the same price. What do you mean with "a different flavor"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana
@OP, since you said that you could find Audio Technica, I also recommend the ESW9s unless you need a lot of isolation, in which case, they're not the best, even if they sound wonderful. The Sennheiser HD25-1, is also a good recommendation for a fun sounding phone that's also comfy, isolates extremely well, and is also quite sturdy. Both are considered portable headphones, and neither require an amp (forget the fiio unless you like gimmicks), but the esw9 sounds as good or better than many full-size headphones.

I sadly couldn't find the ESW9.
redface.gif

I'd like the headphones to be "around-ear", is the HD25-1 that? Would you say the ES7 any better in isolating?

Regarding FiiO, okay. It's hard to find a "volume raiser" in that price range except the E5 though. :p

Do you think the E7 will be any better or do you have any other brand to suggest? I'll although buy an amplifier after I've used my headphones for a while since I don't have money for both at the moment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavcat
I have two pair of HD 280: one HD 280pro (64 ohm), one HD 280-13 (300 ohm). The HD 280pro sells for less than $100 in the US, and I would not hesitate to recommend it. I am not familiar with the other phones on the list, so I cannot compare. For me the most important things about the HD 280's (other than the sound) are the comfort and isolation.

The HD 280's will work from an iPod (I've only tried with the iPod Shuffle) or from computer line outputs, but for me they sound much better amplified.

64 ohm is still a little high for an iPod. I listened to K172 HD with 55 ohm through my iPod and I had to put it at full volume to get a normal level.

I've also looked on the HD 280's, is the HD 380 their big brother kind of? Because it seems like the HD 280 is a dying model.

I'd be very glad if someone that have compared models in my list replied what they thought.

Quote:

He mentioned Sony, I recommended a closed Sony.
And some more that should be easily available in Sweden.

Yeah it seems like the most popular HiFi brands in Sweden is Sennheiser, AKG, Audio-Technica & the "all over the world brands" (Sony, Philips etc.).

---

Thank you all for putting in time to help me to find the best headphone in this price range.

The interesting models is now:
  1. AKG K172 HD (1349 kr = 192$)
  2. AKG K272 HD (1595 kr = 227$)
  3. HD 280 (995 kr = 142$)
  4. HD 380 (1664 kr = 237$)
  5. HD 448 (1095 kr = 156$)
  6. Denon D1001 (1498 kr = 214$)
  7. Audio Technica ATH-ES7 (1195 kr = 170$)
  8. HD-25 (1295 kr = 185$)

Quite a few in other words. This is getting harder, haha. But I guess I'll be more happy with the result.

Please motivate which you think I should get, which ones should I exclude?

---

Kind Regards,
Force.

P.S. Sorry for the long post. D.S.

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #24 of 33
As for the MDR-XB 700, see for example:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/son...eviews-395231/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...-xb700-417226/

As for the impedance, the sensitivity is more important for how loud a headphone sounds.
The higher the sensitivity, the louder they will sound without an amp.

As for the K272, K271, K271 mk1I, they all sound the same. It's not that simple to qualify a headphone as a studio one, or a hifi one. I have several headphones who are meant for studio use, but I enjoy them throughout on my home rig.
The K271/2 are good for listening pleasure, but I found them a little too dull. Not toe-tapping enough. The bass wasn't a problem for me though. I'm not a basshead.

As for the HD380, see:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...inside-378999/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hd380-vs-hd280-417831/

The Denon D1001 are on-ear.

Oct 12, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/son...eviews-395231/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...-xb700-417226/

As for the impedance, the sensitivity is more important for how loud a headphone sounds.
The higher the sensivity, the louder they will sound without a amp.

As for the K272, K271, K271 mk 1I, they all sound the same. It's not that simple to qualify a headphone as a studio one, or a hifi one. I have some headphones that are meant for studio use, but I enjoy them throughout on my home rig.
The K271/2 is good for listening pleasure, but I found them a little too dull. Not toe-tapping enough. The bass wasn't a problem for me though. I'm not a basshead.

As for the HD380, see:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...inside-378999/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hd380-vs-hd280-417831/

Yes, the K271 are great for rock or classic, but not much for electronic or more bassy music, overall they are balanced. I prefer the the GMP 8.35 and they even can be mod by different GMP pads, I even can make they sound more balanced then the K 271 with more bass.

lol, the only thing that I didn't try is the K-271 with the GMP pads, maybe here will be a big surprise...
icon10.gif

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #26 of 33
Hi!

I own a pair of K271S and a pair of ATH-M50.

The K271S is a great headphone that has gotten great reviews in Sweden. (See CarlssonPlanet.com • Rekommenderad elektronik or search for K271 at www.faktiskt.se). For acoustic music they are great. Very detailed. They are considered bass-shy. I'm not shure about if their bass-response is too weak, but they certainly have less bass than most other headphones. (Most headphones have a bit "exaggerated" bass to compensate for the bass impact you can feel with speakers). I you don't have enough seal the bass gets weaker (if you use glasses for instance). They have low impedance but have low sensitivity, meaning that they need a good, wall-powered, amp that can supply a lot of current. They probably won't sound that good directly out of your soundcard or your DAP (I doubt that FiiO E5 would be powerful enough for these cans), but with a good amp they really shine (unless you are a basshead). They are also not very portable.

My latest headphone is a pair of ATH-M50. They go for about 1700 SEK. They are not as detailed and refined as the K271S, but they are less amp dependant and actually sounds pretty good out of my DAP. They have a stronger bass and might suit your kind of music better. They are foldable. So if you can stretch your budget a little bit, I would recommend these.

The Sennheiser HD-25 is also quite good - about the same character as the as the M50 (from what I remember). They will sound good right out of your DAP (don't get fooled by their rated impedance at 70 Ohm). They are more portable, but they rests on your ear and are more expensive. The HD-25, HD-25-i II, HD-25 II are basically the same headphones, just different earpads and cables. The HD-25-13 are 600 ohms. From what I have read, the SP models are quite different and are not as good as the others.

I've also heard the Sennheiser HD-280 (very briefly). My impressions were that their isolation and comfort were very good, but that they were not in the same league as the above cans.

All of these are marketed as studio cans, but are excellent for hifi-listening. You should be able to listen to all of these in music stores in Stockholm (Jam, Musikbörsen, 4Sound,...).

I once bought the HD-200, but returned them very shortly. Thin and grainy sound with no isolation.

In short, go for the M50!

PS: You can find the sensitivity numbers for headphones at Prisjakt - Den nya generationens prisjämförelser.

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #27 of 33
Tiemen and Acix have the AKGs covered. I'll talk more about the Denon...and a little of the 271.

The 1001 is supposed to be around the ear, but for some the ear cup is not big or deep enough, so it's on-ear for those users. It is around the ear for me since I seem to have the right sized ears for the cups. The headphone itself is super comfortable to wear on the head. More so than the AKG271mkII with velour pads. The difference I notice is from the way it clamps on the head vs the AKG. The steel bands that make up the AKGs headband always return to their original form even after leaving stretched over some books for weeks on end. The Denon has very very little clamping force compared to the AKG. I also find the ear pads they use are very soft. They easily give when poked. Not so with the velour pads on the AKG271. The Denon pads are letherette/plether--I'm not sure what exactly.

Right out of the box the Denon is bright sounding, the low bass impact is there but subdued. After a week of constant use it mellows out. The treble smoothens out and is no longer in your face. The bass begins to complement the treble and mids and doesn't overpower them. The low bass is present and gives a nice kick. But again, doesn't really try to overwhelm the other frequencies like the AKG518dj's mid bass does. The 1001 is a very non-fatiguing phone to listen to (like the 271). You can listen for hours on end--rock,techno,jazz,live concerts--haven't had an issue yet. It doesn't need an amp to sound good straight out of an iPod.

1001's soundstage is nice and wide...but i prefer the AKG271's seemingly larger soundstage. Could be because of the larger cup size and distance to ear. The only issue I have with the 271 is that it sometimes sounds not quite right with certain vocals and instruments. I have yet to experience that with the Denon. I figure one of the other threads or members can better explain this or it's just me.

Did I mention they were super comfortable?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Force /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the models are 30%(-ish) over my budget, although one of them, the HD-25 SP1 is in my budget.

Hey that's a decent set of cans. The Denon D1001 does beat it hands down and smacks it silly across the floor. It's missing something at the top and low end but it does sound good! It's a warm sounding phone but it has a nice thump to it and built tough with replaceable parts. If I hadn't seen the Denon at the local audio shop, I would still be using that over the AKG271mkII for the portability. It's a massive hassle to lug around the 271. The HD 25 sp sounds good without an amp. I can damage it or lose it and I don't have to worry too much about the investment.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #29 of 33
Thanks for all helpful replies, really appreciates it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix
The GMP 250 are great, but they will need some amp (minimum a nice sound card).
With the GMP 8.35 you can start with out any amp, they are 35 ohm.
Here more info: The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!

I couldn't find either one of those headphones you suggested in any swedish store.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen
SONY MDR-XB700 HEADPHONES, any reviews?
A Headphone Worth Checking out under $100 : Sony MDR-XB700

The higher the sensitivity, the louder they will sound without an amp.

As for the K272, K271, K271 mk1I, they all sound the same. It's not that simple to qualify a headphone as a studio one, or a hifi one. I have several headphones who are meant for studio use, but I enjoy them throughout on my home rig.
The K271/2 are good for listening pleasure, but I found them a little too dull. Not toe-tapping enough. The bass wasn't a problem for me though. I'm not a basshead.

As for the HD380, see:
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (rather large photos inside)
HD380 vs. HD280

Ah, I've only been looking on the impedance until now. Thank you, I've learnt something.

Okay, AKG is just making the impression of "a new headphone" by changing sub-models...

Would you say the AH-D1001 is "Toe-tapping" and more "fun" than the K27x? I don't know if I'm a "basshead" (a person that enjoy bass alot I guess?) or not since I don't have that much experience with headphones yet but I suppose I don't want too much but neither too weak bass.

The "HD380 vs. HD280" link didn't work for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix
Yes, the K271 are great for rock or classic, but not much for electronic or more bassy music, overall they are balanced. I prefer the the GMP 8.35 and they even can be mod by different GMP pads, I even can make they sound more balanced then the K 271 with more bass.

lol, the only thing that I didn't try is the K-271 with the GMP pads, maybe here will be a big surprise...

Ok, I'd like my headphones to be good overall even though I listen mostly to rock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joze7205
Hi!

I own a pair of K271S and a pair of ATH-M50.

The K271S is a great headphone that has gotten great reviews in Sweden. (See CarlssonPlanet.com • Rekommenderad elektronik or search for K271 at www.faktiskt.se). For acoustic music they are great. Very detailed. They are considered bass-shy. I'm not shure about if their bass-response is too weak, but they certainly have less bass than most other headphones. (Most headphones have a bit "exaggerated" bass to compensate for the bass impact you can feel with speakers). I you don't have enough seal the bass gets weaker (if you use glasses for instance). They have low impedance but have low sensitivity, meaning that they need a good, wall-powered, amp that can supply a lot of current. They probably won't sound that good directly out of your soundcard or your DAP (I doubt that FiiO E5 would be powerful enough for these cans), but with a good amp they really shine (unless you are a basshead). They are also not very portable.

My latest headphone is a pair of ATH-M50. They go for about 1700 SEK. They are not as detailed and refined as the K271S, but they are less amp dependant and actually sounds pretty good out of my DAP. They have a stronger bass and might suit your kind of music better. They are foldable. So if you can stretch your budget a little bit, I would recommend these.

The Sennheiser HD-25 is also quite good - about the same character as the as the M50 (from what I remember). They will sound good right out of your DAP (don't get fooled by their rated impedance at 70 Ohm). They are more portable, but they rests on your ear and are more expensive. The HD-25, HD-25-i II, HD-25 II are basically the same headphones, just different earpads and cables. The HD-25-13 are 600 ohms. From what I have read, the SP models are quite different and are not as good as the others.

I've also heard the Sennheiser HD-280 (very briefly). My impressions were that their isolation and comfort were very good, but that they were not in the same league as the above cans.

All of these are marketed as studio cans, but are excellent for hifi-listening. You should be able to listen to all of these in music stores in Stockholm (Jam, Musikbörsen, 4Sound,...).

I once bought the HD-200, but returned them very shortly. Thin and grainy sound with no isolation.

In short, go for the M50!

PS: You can find the sensitivity numbers for headphones at Prisjakt - Den nya generationens prisjämförelser.

Nice to see a swedish person on head-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know if I know raise my budget that much (I started with a budget at 1000 SEK), but I do see that the M50 is being sold at a store called "IntroPris" for 1495 SEK which I could agree on. Do you think they are anything to trust? The comments on Prisjakt doesn't seem to be very good (around 5/10 stars) though. I don't want to be scammed.

Regarding the K27x's, it feels like they are one level beyond the other headphones with an amp which I don't have. Which means I will buy a great headphone but won't use even close to it's full potential. Am I right?

It seems the K172 HD is the same as the K272 HD except the design. They've got exactly the same impedance and sensitivity, similar frequencies and price doesn't differ much. I mailed AKG asking if this was true but haven't gotten answered yet.

HD-25 & Denon AH-D1001 are in the same group (price- and designwise) but it feels like the Denon is slightly better. (?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by D4R
Tiemen and Acix have the AKGs covered. I'll talk more about the Denon...and a little of the 271.

The 1001 is supposed to be around the ear, but for some the ear cup is not big or deep enough, so it's on-ear for those users. It is around the ear for me since I seem to have the right sized ears for the cups. The headphone itself is super comfortable to wear on the head. More so than the AKG271mkII with velour pads. The difference I notice is from the way it clamps on the head vs the AKG. The steel bands that make up the AKGs headband always return to their original form even after leaving stretched over some books for weeks on end. The Denon has very very little clamping force compared to the AKG. I also find the ear pads they use are very soft. They easily give when poked. Not so with the velour pads on the AKG271. The Denon pads are letherette/plether--I'm not sure what exactly.

Right out of the box the Denon is bright sounding, the low bass impact is there but subdued. After a week of constant use it mellows out. The treble smoothens out and is no longer in your face. The bass begins to complement the treble and mids and doesn't overpower them. The low bass is present and gives a nice kick. But again, doesn't really try to overwhelm the other frequencies like the AKG518dj's mid bass does. The 1001 is a very non-fatiguing phone to listen to (like the 271). You can listen for hours on end--rock,techno,jazz,live concerts--haven't had an issue yet. It doesn't need an amp to sound good straight out of an iPod.

1001's soundstage is nice and wide...but i prefer the AKG271's seemingly larger soundstage. Could be because of the larger cup size and distance to ear. The only issue I have with the 271 is that it sometimes sounds not quite right with certain vocals and instruments. I have yet to experience that with the Denon. I figure one of the other threads or members can better explain this or it's just me.

Did I mention they were super comfortable?

You opened my eyes for these headphones. They seem to be superior in everything compared to the other ones except two things:
  • For gaming, would these work?
  • Size of the earcups, they look like on-ears.
Are you sure they are around-ear?
Quote:

Originally Posted by DENON Homepage
AH-D1001: On-Ear Stereo Headphones

That was taken from Denon's homepage.

Other than that, they seem amazing. They look stylish, seem portable, have an extremely wide frequency response (8 - 37,000 Hz), low impedance & high sensitivity, will sound good without external amplifier etc etc.

How about the quality? Is DENON known of making good headphones? I've noticed they haven't got many 'cheap' (or what most people consider cheap) cans but quite a few in the high-end section (which design-wise looks amazing). OFF TOPIC: I've noticed that Sennheiser is the opposite from DENON: loads of low-midrange headphones and few a the top.

I'd like it if someone could confirm if there's a cloth cord on the AH-D1001 like it is on the AH-D2000? http://www.minhembio.com/bilder/hq/?pic_id=316841.jpg

I love the quality feeling of those cords.

Also regarding isolation. On-ear's usually leak a little bit more sound out than around-ear does. But they're still closed-back design. But do they leak more than say, the HD555 or HD595?

Quote:

Originally Posted by D4R
Hey that's a decent set of cans. The Denon D1001 does beat it hands down and smacks it silly across the floor. It's missing something at the top and low end but it does sound good! It's a warm sounding phone but it has a nice thump to it and built tough with replaceable parts. If I hadn't seen the Denon at the local audio shop, I would still be using that over the AKG271mkII for the portability. It's a massive hassle to lug around the 271. The HD 25 sp sounds good without an amp. I can damage it or lose it and I don't have to worry too much about the investment.

So you're saying DENON AH-D1001 is better than Sennheiser HD-25 in your opinion? Sorry if I didn't fully understand you.
redface.gif

---

It feels like the most interesting can right now is the DENON AH-D1001K.

If you think I'm doing wrong decision with excluding the other cans PLEASE comment and tell me so. I'm going to go test a few headphones (the ones I can test) tomorrow I think but not buy anything.

Kind Regards,
Force.

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #30 of 33
three Swedes in the same thread not often
smily_headphones1.gif

You do apply to the german maestro EU loan program. You buy German Maestro headphones from their homepage in Germany otherwise. So you could borrow the 8.35D monitors for example for two weeks to see if those are for you?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ger...rogram-447840/

I don´t really see them as rock headphones. Not with stock pads though but they are quite universal and different ear pads totally change the signature. Many rock recordings is really crappy though and they are quite forgiving if you stick to the stock earpads so in that regard they are great for rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back