Purchasing Advice: Just bought a Mjolnir and HD650, what's next?
Jul 22, 2013 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Cheeseman808

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I've been browsing these forums for quite some time, but only recently created an account to start buying after sometime researching.  I currently own a uDac2 and HD558 and intend on upscaling equipment rather quickly after the hefty amount of use I've put them through over the last year.  I've done my best to research these issues, but nothing is really concluding. 

I've just bought a Mjolnir amp and HD650 pair.  I've decided to make my next purchase a balanced cables for the HD 650 and then lastly a new DAC.  I also plan on obtaining a pair of LC2r2 later down the line, or another nice set of balanced headphones.

My questions are:

1)  Can my uDac2 (I know) be a viable DAC for the Mjolnir and balanced HD650 while I look for a suitable DAC?  I was thinking of looking for a gungnir (or something cheaper) when one comes on sale.

2) Any suggestions for affordable but good quality balance cables?  I've tried looking, but everything I find is 200+.

3)  Any DAC suggestions that may be a bit more affordable that would suit the mjolnir?

Any help is much appreciated!

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 8
Looks like the uDac-2 can function as a DAC for the Kjolnir.

Check Monoprice, see if they have the cables your looking for, for a low price.

I guess the new DAC will be whatever your willing to budget a DAC .
DAC budget?

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the reply!  Ill look into those cables.

Quote:
I guess the new DAC will be whatever your willing to budget a DAC .
DAC budget?

Budget is is any economical high end DAC that will be a good match for the mjolnir for both the HD650 and later a LCD2r2.  That being said, I would still like the mjolnir to be equipped with a equivalent level DAC.

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 8
 I would say Lynx Hilo or Prism Lyra. Both have pro quality D/A though so it may be overkill, but they are the best sound quality you're going to get. 

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Budget is is any economical high end DAC that will be a good match for the mjolnir for both the HD650 and later a LCD2r2.  That being said, I would still like the mjolnir to be equipped with a equivalent level DAC.

I guess Monoprice does not carry "balanced" cables.
Try Sweetwater, sometimes I have found stuff cheaper there then other places.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
I guess Monoprice does not carry "balanced" cables.
Try Sweetwater, sometimes I have found stuff cheaper there then other places.

Sweetwater has them, but no terminators going to a HD650.  How would I go about installing them? 

Quote:
 I would say Lynx Hilo or Prism Lyra. Both have pro quality D/A though so it may be overkill, but they are the best sound quality you're going to get. 

Hah, I wish.  I'm looking more in the 400-800 range for a DAC, with the gungnir the highest I'd pay.  

Thanks for the input!

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 8
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB17/NFB17EN.htm
check out the options in audiogd 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back