Purchased Desktop O2+ODAC. Does anyone have experience using that unit with something like the Xonar U3 for Dolby Headphone?
Nov 2, 2013 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

PraetorXyn

New Head-Fier
Hello all. I'm just breaking into the audiophile community, so I've done pretty extensive research over the last couple of weeks.
I've settled on the O2+ODAC for amp and DAC. I did so because the headphone output jack is 1/4", so I won't be worried about it wearing out, and it has RCA inputs on the ODAC.

The Xonar U3 has audio output, but I've seen references to it requiring S/PDIF input, so I wasn't sure if I could do this:
Laptop > Xonar U3 audio out > ODAC RCA in > O2

What I'd like to do is completely bypass the amp and DAC in the U3 and use it for Dolby Headphone.

In my searches on this forum I've found a post where someone said you could do that, but it required a S/PDIF DAC.

The headphones I've purchased are the AKG K702 Annies. They'll be used for rock and metal music and gaming first and foremost, which I believe they're excellent for. I'm just trying to assess my options for getting CMSS 3D or Dolby Headphone out of a laptop.

Before anyone asks, I have to use a laptop because I'm a SharePoint consultant so I'm relocating for 3 to 6 months for every contract I get. I'm stuck doing this for another year at least before I can try to settle somewhere and build a desktop, where I could use a proper sound card like the Onkyo SE-300 or Titanium X-Fi (non-HD) for Dolby Headphone.

My apologies if this has been answered before, but I did try searching and couldn't come up with an exact answer.

I'm open to any suggestions or other products like the U3.

Thank you in advance.

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 4
When you want to game, plug the U3 into the laptop's USB port and the O2 into the U3's analog port
When you want to listen to music, plug the ODAC into the laptop's USB port and the O2 into the ODAC.

Nov 3, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 4
  I was afraid it would come to that. Thanks.

Someday you can sell off the O2/ODAC and get a Audio-GD NFB-15.32, $255 + shipping,
comes with USB, optical, coaxial inputs.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back