Purchased AD700x & AD900x... Am I crazy to prefer the AD700x's sound signature?
Jul 28, 2013 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

gl0ry

New Head-Fier
I've never before used the original AD700 or AD900's by Audio Technica.  On a whim I decided I would get rid of any gaming headphones I had and jump into a real pair of headphones.  I was very happy with the AD700x's ($159) but I have Amazon Prime and noticed the AD900x's were only about 50 dollars more ($209) so I decided to give it a shot as well to pick which one I enjoy more.

The first thing I notice between the two is that the AD900x has a fuller sound.  It has more thump in the bass and seems more balanced, but I find that listening to them fatigues me, where as the sound signature of the AD700x seem to fit me a lot more.  I've always been the type of person who usually turns bass down and raises treble.

From all the research I've done, the popular opinion is that the AD900 does everything the AD700 does, but better.  Usually the only justification for buying the AD700's seem to be the price point, which is irrelevant for me at the moment.

The AD700x and AD900x are both redesigned versions of the original, so build quality and fit are virtually identical.

Anyone have any advice for me?  

I got the AD900x about 2 1/2 days after getting the AD700x... Can burn in here play any role?

tldr version; The AD900x has a fuller sound but fatigues me, where as the AD700x's sound signature seems to fit me more.  Is something wrong with me?

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 18
Yes, give them a bit longer I think. I got the ad900x after previously owning the ad900, and it took a while for me to get used to them. I felt the bass was a bit fatiguing at the start, but no longer do... whether that is burn in or brain in I'm not sure. I don't find the AD900x fatiguing at all personally.

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 18
Well..  Return the AD900x if you can, nothing you can do about your preferences.

I liked the AD700 at first, but over time I grew tired of them.  I think the AD900x was better overall, but they lack the separation and positioning of the AD700.

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:
Well..  Return the AD900x if you can, nothing you can do about your preferences.

I liked the AD700 at first, but over time I grew tired of them.  I think the AD900x was better overall, but they lack the separation and positioning of the AD700.

From my research it seems very rare for a person to have tried both the AD700 and the AD700x.

Do any of you think that perhaps the redesigned AD700x fixed some of the issues the original AD700s had that made the AD900(x)'s such a clear winner?

Either way I'm still continuing to test both and will do so for the remainder of the day before I reach a conclusion.

I don't have an issue with the bass on either, I think they're fine for the most part and on par with what I generally prefer, but the AD700x just seems to provide more clarity than the AD900x.

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
I've never before used the original AD700 or AD900's by Audio Technica.  On a whim I decided I would get rid of any gaming headphones I had and jump into a real pair of headphones.  I was very happy with the AD700x's ($159) but I have Amazon Prime and noticed the AD900x's were only about 50 dollars more ($209) so I decided to give it a shot as well to pick which one I enjoy more.
The first thing I notice between the two is that the AD900x has a fuller sound.  It has more thump in the bass and seems more balanced, but I find that listening to them fatigues me, where as the sound signature of the AD700x seem to fit me a lot more.  I've always been the type of person who usually turns bass down and raises treble.
From all the research I've done, the popular opinion is that the AD900 does everything the AD700 does, but better.  Usually the only justification for buying the AD700's seem to be the price point, which is irrelevant for me at the moment.
The AD700x and AD900x are both redesigned versions of the original, so build quality and fit are virtually identical.
Anyone have any advice for me?  
I got the AD900x about 2 1/2 days after getting the AD700x... Can burn in here play any role?
tldr version; The AD900x has a fuller sound but fatigues me, where as the AD700x's sound signature seems to fit me more.  Is something wrong with me?

Leave the AD900Xs plugged in overnight, playing loud music thru them, I use metal for burn in.
I would say do it for several nights, see if the audio chances more to your liking.

What source(s) do you plug the headphones into?

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:
Leave the AD900Xs plugged in overnight, playing loud music thru them, I use metal for burn in.
I would say do it for several nights, see if the audio chances more to your liking.

What source(s) do you plug the headphones into?

No amplifier, just directly into my computer and/or iphone.

There's no question that the AD900x provides the fuller, balanced, rich sound.  I just found them fatiguing in comparison to the AD700x which provided more clarity and less thump.

Still trying to adjust and make a proper choice though.  I don't want to be disappointed down the road if I send these back.  I'm trying to get myself to prefer the AD900x.

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

From my research it seems very rare for a person to have tried both the AD700 and the AD700x.

Do any of you think that perhaps the redesigned AD700x fixed some of the issues the original AD700s had that made the AD900(x)'s such a clear winner?

Either way I'm still continuing to test both and will do so for the remainder of the day before I reach a conclusion.

I don't have an issue with the bass on either, I think they're fine for the most part and on par with what I generally prefer, but the AD700x just seems to provide more clarity than the AD900x.

I don't think you can fix the AD700, except for the piercing treble that is.  Try listening to Delphic tracks and try to focus on the high pitched beeps and zips.

When you're missing a good portion of your low end, the headphone can come out to your as having more clarity.  There is less to hear right?  Imagine 3 people talking to you at the same time versus 1.

Idk, give both a fair listen.  If you like the AD700x more, keep it!  

Honestly what fatigued me was the treble on.. well both actually lol.  Both are a little bright, which I guess my tastes matured out of.

EDIT:  Never liked the sound out of an iPhone.  PC audio isn't too great unless you have a flagship motherboard or sound card.  The AD900x improved for me on a Musiland 02 US significantly.
EDIT2:  Selling a Musiland 02, buy it from me!

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
I don't think you can fix the AD700, except for the piercing treble that is.  Try listening to Delphic tracks and try to focus on the high pitched beeps and zips.

When you're missing a good portion of your low end, the headphone can come out to your as having more clarity.  There is less to hear right?  Imagine 3 people talking to you at the same time versus 1.

Idk, give both a fair listen.  If you like the AD700x more, keep it!  

Honestly what fatigued me was the treble on.. well both actually lol.  Both are a little bright, which I guess my tastes matured out of.

EDIT:  Never liked the sound out of an iPhone.  PC audio isn't too great unless you have a flagship motherboard or sound card.  The AD900x improved for me on a Musiland 02 US significantly.
EDIT2:  Selling a Musiland 02, buy it from me!

I am a computer enthusiast and the computer that I put together is very strong.  Utilizes the Z77 Mpower motherboard by MSI which has onboard Realtek ALC898.  Supposedly one of the better onboards..

But either way, I'm not going to open up another can of worms.  Just debating between the two headphones right now!

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 18
I too have the MPower (Z87 version) and indeed the onboard audio is very well implemented - very little noise and very strong amplifier, driving the AD700X and 900X shouldn't be problem. 

I don't know much about the new ADx, but for the old AD series the sound signs started to deviate with the 900 and 1000, i.e 700 and 900 are similar, 1000 and 2000 are different from the 700-900 and are similar to each other. So the 900x should be the clear winner vs the 700x, but you can give it more time,

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

I am a computer enthusiast and the computer that I put together is very strong.  Utilizes the Z77 Mpower motherboard by MSI which has onboard Realtek ALC898.  Supposedly one of the better onboards..

But either way, I'm not going to open up another can of worms.  Just debating between the two headphones right now!

Take PurpleAngel's advice and let them burn in. Honestly I can say the AD900x were superior for music.  

When you get a better audio source, you'll notice exactly how much emotion the AD900x can carry.  The AD700/x begins to sound less impressive.. $150 is too much to pay for an AD700x.
I think the AD700 had a far more pronounced airy-ness sounding color to it, which was catchy 
size]

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:
Take PurpleAngel's advice and let them burn in. Honestly I can say the AD900x were superior for music.  

When you get a better audio source, you'll notice exactly how much emotion the AD900x can carry.  The AD700/x begins to sound less impressive.. $150 is too much to pay for an AD700x.
I think the AD700 had a far more pronounced airy-ness sounding color to it, which was catchy 
size]

That's exactly how I felt which is why I even bought the AD900x in the first place..  200 for them is the proper market price, but 150 for the AD700x seemed like more than it should be and I can only see a decrease of the price in the future.

I'm beginning to adjust more to the AD900x now, like I said it's definitely the "better' sound, there was never really any doubt, it was just fatiguing me.  Probably just need to burn in or my brain needs to adjust to them.

Thanks to everyone for the much needed advice!

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
That's exactly how I felt which is why I even bought the AD900x in the first place..  200 for them is the proper market price, but 150 for the AD700x seemed like more than it should be and I can only see a decrease of the price in the future.

I'm beginning to adjust more to the AD900x now, like I said it's definitely the "better' sound, there was never really any doubt, it was just fatiguing me.  Probably just need to burn in or my brain needs to adjust to them.

Thanks to everyone for the much needed advice!

AD900X greatly improves with a good amplifier - e.g. FIIO E12

Jul 29, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #15 of 18
Can anyone point out if any difference is there b/w the both when it comes to directional accuracy & positioning of stuffs. as in case of older models ad900 & ad700 both were equal in this term form what I have read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back