Purchased ad700.Too much in mids&highs, not enough bass. help plz
Feb 14, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #76 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Preference.... AND... what's the other part of the equation? Synergy.

sorry.

Well after listening to these ad700 through an ipod/zune. i can hear 1000% improvement over the laptop. Sound was more full, with more bass that was not there before using the laptop setup.

ipod vs zune? i prefer the zune pad over the ipod setup.the ipod is louder than the zune at max volume. Ipod does have eq settings, zune does not have any.
the ipod using the rock eq and zune seem to sound the same to me.

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #78 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by shagvirus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well after listening to these ad700 through an ipod/zune. i can hear 1000% improvement over the laptop. Sound was more full, with more bass that was not there before using the laptop setup.

I'm glad that you're enjoying the AD700 more. You see, most laptop onboard audio (including the one in your laptop, obviously) sounds like poop even through otherwise great-sounding headphones or speakers. The bass may be weak (as is clearly the case there), or the sound may be seriously distorted (clipped) even at moderate volume - and more often, the output from the laptops tends to be on the noisy/hissy side.

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #79 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
everything starts with a reference point. and bass like anything else should sound real.. there is NO such thing as more or less bass.. there is only bass as to how the instrument produces it. (some may disagree wrt to electronic music - buy imo if its synth, its not real hence does not merit to be any kind of benchmark)

No. Again, there is no "should" to this. It's a matter of preference. If you prefer pursuing the sound of reality as you perceive it, then good for you; go for it (many do). But that hardly means your preference for doing so should be that of others.

For example, instead of real sounding, others may prefer more natural sounding (regardless of the difference), or a bigger sound stage, or whatever, and the bottom line remains; it's a matter of preference.

Another example, audiophile "A" and audiophile "B" sit together at the same concert, listen to a recording of it, but then prefer different rigs for the same or different reasons. And there's nothing wrong with that. Thus, there is no "should" to it. Just like there's nothing wrong with noob "A" and noob "B preferring different rigs for any reason with any music or application. It can boom. It can sound weak. It can sound any way imaginable. It does not matter. Any rig may be preferred over any other and for any or no reason at all, and that's just OK.

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #80 of 121
Quote:

No. Again, there is no "should" to this. It's a matter of preference. If you prefer pursuing the sound of reality as you perceive it, then good for you; go for it (many do). But that hardly means your preference for doing so should be that of others.

For example, instead of real sounding, others may prefer more natural sounding (regardless of the difference), or a bigger sound stage, or whatever, and the bottom line remains; it's a matter of preference.

Another example, audiophile "A" and audiophile "B" sit together at the same concert, listen to a recording of it, but then prefer different rigs for the same or different reasons. And there's nothing wrong with that. Thus, there is no "should" to it. Just like there's nothing wrong with noob "A" and noob "B preferring different rigs for any reason with any music or application. It can boom. It can sound weak. It can sound any way imaginable. It does not matter. Any rig may be preferred over any other and for any or no reason at all, and that's just OK.

oh, dont get me wrong, i do agree with you.

but for there to be a preference, a shift to the left or right, there ought to be a reference. a starting point from where one can define/describe how they would like it. (why can be irrelevant as that is preference)

eg. if person A never knows anything but a particular kind of sound, its the ignorance of the alternative thats the problem. (canned fish phenomenon)

is difficult to substantiate a statement especially something as subjective as sound if there is no reference point.

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #81 of 121
Quote:

No problem. I meant for my last post to be informative for others, not condemning of you.

I'm just glad (as others surely are too) that you found better sound with your AD700.

smile_phones.gif

I have been browsing through the amp section to see what i can pickup for say 60.00usd or less to help these ad700 out when on my PC & zune.

Do they make any slim amps that can be piggybacked to the length of the zune?

I will test the "cough" onboard sound out to see if i can deal with the sound before i grab a xfi card. Most likely will purchased a card.

Can you reccomend a portable set of phones to use for walking, working out. currently own Sennheiser MX75.

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #82 of 121
Quote:

Can you reccomend a portable set of phones to use for walking, working out. currently own Sennheiser MX75.

Koss KSC75.

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #83 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, dont get me wrong, i do agree with you.

but for there to be a preference, a shift to the left or right, there ought to be a reference. a starting point from where one can define/describe how they would like it. (why can be irrelevant as that is preference)

eg. if person A never knows anything but a particular kind of sound, its the ignorance of the alternative thats the problem. (canned fish phenomenon)

is difficult to substantiate a statement especially something as subjective as sound if there is no reference point.

This really is not that difficult to grasp. But to be clear, I was referring to one's preference for a particular pair of headphones or rig over some other headphones or rig. That is, the two were compared and a preference was made known for one over the other. And so like I pointed out before, there is no "should" about preferring one over another. In other words, it's OK to prefer one pair of headphones or rig over another for any or no reason at all. For example, one's preference for headphones need not consider the pursuit of real sounding bass, which is contrary to your previous claim. I disagreed, but now it seems you agree with me. OK.

However, if instead the subject is helping someone choose headphones/rig that they have not heard before in hopes they would prefer its sound to that of previously experienced headphones/rig or to none at all, then yes, it usually is helpful to identify some existing preferences like the previously used headphones/rig, the type of music, and the application for the headphones. At least those are some reference points that I look for when trying to help others choose headphones.

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #84 of 121
Quote:

smile_phones.gif

I have been browsing through the amp section to see what i can pickup for say 60.00usd or less to help these ad700 out when on my PC & zune.

Do they make any slim amps that can be piggybacked to the length of the zune?

I will test the "cough" onboard sound out to see if i can deal with the sound before i grab a xfi card. Most likely will purchased a card.

It's usually better to discuss and research computer source, portable amp, and portable headphones considerations in the computer source, portable amp, and portable headphones forums.

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #85 of 121
Quote:

x-fi's are not that great. If you're going to buy an amp, I would suggest buying a USB DAC to go along with it.

To be honest.. I am not really sure of the price for such an item though.. I know you can build one for under ~$30 (in parts). (Bantam DAC).

It seems like you should be able to get one for under $60..

Feb 14, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #86 of 121
Personally just picked up a Hotaudio HotUSB1 for $50 - and I am very happy with it. Was also looking at the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro for ~$30. If you want an amp probably looking at about $100, something like the Nuforce Icon Mobile

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #87 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read it again.

Why? I read it correctly the first time.
Once again, I understand that there are people who do not like bass. That is fine, but they should not refer to unnaturally weak bass as natural.
(I also understand that some prefer other phones to DT770s, which is also fine. Falsely suggesting that the 770s are not excellent, or worse yet using crude insults, is just plain stupid.)

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #88 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once again, I understand that there are people who do not like bass. That is fine, but they should not refer to unnaturally weak bass as natural.
(I also understand that some prefer other phones to DT770s, which is also fine. Falsely suggesting that the 770s are not excellent, or worse yet using crude insults, is just plain stupid.)

I do not think the 770s are excellent.

I also am not a fan of the AD 700 or 900. To the OP, in addition to the suggestions re an amp, etc., you might consider the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. Fun headphone, excellent build quality, good all-arounder, doesn't NEED an amp, and has some nice bass slam. Not much in terms of soundstage, though.

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #89 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by roosta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jesus hardstyler can you please just get a job with beyerdynamic please? youve already got employee of the year from them, may as well make it official. ever thought he picked those AD700's because he DIDNT want the similarly priced beyers?
im not saying beyers are bad, ive never heard them, but not everyone wants beyers. i know your giving your advise, but sometimes it reads more like your flatly refusing to acknowledge any other headphone as good and saying the 770's beat all else within $200 price range.

Its funny, 990pro is my least favourite headphone. I'll have to change that picture.
And why shouldn't I recommend 770pro if he thinks AD700 lack bass?

My first good headphone was A900. I bought it because they are highly recommended by everyone on this forum, other forums and web review sites. Everyone claimed its the best unamped headphone available.
So I bought it and immediately felt disappointed with bass. Even my old Sennheiser HD500 had more bass. So I did more research and eventually after 4 months bought 770pro + portable amp. I was in audio heaven.

I just recommended him a headphone with more bass. Seems logical doesn't it?

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #90 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LOL nice one, but I think you're losing your touch a little. Laying the DT770 praise on so thick is rendering you transparent!

Wow, you guys are slow. Can't you see this guy is just trolling the crap out of you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardstyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its funny, 990pro is my least favourite headphone. I'll have to change that picture.
And why shouldn't I recommend 770pro if he thinks AD700 lack bass?

My first good headphone was A900. I bought it because they are highly recommended by everyone on this forum, other forums and web review sites. Everyone claimed its the best unamped headphone available.
So I bought it and immediately felt disappointed with bass. Even my old Sennheiser HD500 had more bass. So I did more research and eventually after 4 months bought 770pro + portable amp. I was in audio heaven.

I just recommended him a headphone with more bass. Seems logical doesn't it?

I didn't really find that the DT770/80 had very good bass at all. It was very bloated, very uncontrolled and flabby, overpowered the already recessed midrange (where most of the music is, after all) and had nails-on-a-chalkboard for highs. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone for anything.

I do not know for sure, but I have heard that Headphile's "Darth Beyer" treatment renders these unlistenable headphones listenable (and actually good, supposedly).

I'm going to agree with you and say that the AD700s are bass-shy. I believe that they are. I wish they had a little more oomph in the low-end. On some albums that are naturally bassy, they sound great, but on others I find them quite lacking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back