Purchased a ZMF Verite Closed and the Ampsandsound Mogwai SE. Realizing now that I forgot to get a DAC. Need help and recommendations.
Sep 30, 2020 at 7:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Cyrusis

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. Thank you in advance for your help!

A couple of months ago I purchased the Verite Closed Back and Mogwai SE (fully loaded) amp from ZMF. After months of waiting, I just received the Mogwai tube amp, and will be receiving the headphones soon (they are in the assembly stage).

Being new to all of this, I assumed that the Mogwai was a DAC as well—oops, my bad. I'm looking for a DAC that would go well with this gear. My budget is relatively healthy, and I definitely don't want to risk creating a bottleneck.

I've scoured the internet, and I've seen people on forums recommend the RME ADI-2 DAC, however I'm seeing that it also has an amp, which wouldn't be all that useful to me as I already have the Mogwai. I think I'd enjoy a warmer/smoother listening experience, but not 100% on that. Does anyone have any DAC recommendations? Having the option for balanced and non-balanced, and other future proofing would be nice.

Also, what kind of termination should I ask for on the cable of the headphones? I originally asked Zach from ZMF for a 3.5mm balanced termination, but realized just recently (after opening the amp) that it was a very bad idea. So I just asked him in an email to switch it to a 1/4" termination instead. However, I'm not sure if it would be better to go 4 XLR > 1/4 adapter.

Your thoughts on all of this would be very appreciated!

Sep 30, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 23
I would definitely ask Zach to switch to a 1/4" SE termination; no reason to add unnecessary adapters and the 2.5mm balanced will be useless for you unless you're driving them from a DAP.

As for DAC, I use a Chord Qutest to the Pendant, and I've seen quite a few others with this combo. Its an awesome combo and doesn't break the bank, as Qutest can be found used for $1,200 or so. I've also tried a AKM4490-based DAC (which the RME ADI-2 is) with the Pendant and it was very nearly as good. Unless you are into EQ, balance, etc., the ADI-2 might not be the best option at that price. If you are looking for a transparent and neutral option to pair well with the Pendant, can't really beat the Qutest at that price. Otherwise, if you want a slightly-more colored sound, I'd recommend looking at R2R or Multi-Bit DACs, Schiit Yggdrasil is the most popular, but you can also get great options for less than $2k from Metrum and Denafrips.

Sep 30, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 23
It all depends upon your budget and sound signature that youre after. Im quite happy with my Lampizator TRP,but thats a lot of coin. It throws a huge image and stage, fantastic depth, quite detailed with zero hash, grain or digital glare.

If thats too much $, Lampizator also makes the Amber 3, which apparently is quite good as well. Lampi also has a nice trade-in program.

Many members like the Schiit Yggy. I havent heard it so I cant comment on how it sounds, but it will be quite easy to sell if you decide the sound isnt for you.

You could also ask Zach to recommend a DAC for you.

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #4 of 23
As far as chipdacs go the RME is a smokin' deal. I don't use the amp section in mine often and don't like all in one units but it is a great and very flexible DAC on its own. I agree with @ScornDefeat that the RME is a little fiddly to set up and some people might not want to deal with that.

It might help if you know you want or don't want DSD, MQA, etc.

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 23
If u want something in price range of rme but warmer smooth sound signature, Schiit gungnir multibit

Sep 30, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 23
I would think you’ll get the warmer signature and smoothness from the tube amp.

The RME has an amazing featureset and great sound for the price, all in a small footprint. I just sold mine to move up a gear or two and have been looking at the Chord TT2 a LOT. I don’t think the additional amp in these devices is a bad thing - you might appreciate having the choice between tubes and non-tubes depending upon what genre you or listening to or the mood you are in. The Chord has a benefit that you can add the chord upscaler (for the input) down the line if you feel you need to. I haven’t heard the TT2 as yet as I’m in the process of arranging a demo... but I’m expecting to really enjoy it based upon the reviews and my research. I’d definitely suggest it’s on your short list.

What’s the price range? (the TT2 definitely beats the RME on higher price!!!)
What do you listen to, generally?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 23
Yes
Hi everyone. Thank you in advance for your help!

A couple of months ago I purchased the Verite Closed Back and Mogwai SE (fully loaded) amp from ZMF. After months of waiting, I just received the Mogwai tube amp, and will be receiving the headphones soon (they are in the assembly stage).

Being new to all of this, I assumed that the Mogwai was a DAC as well—oops, my bad. I'm looking for a DAC that would go well with this gear. My budget is relatively healthy, and I definitely don't want to risk creating a bottleneck.

I've scoured the internet, and I've seen people on forums recommend the RME ADI-2 DAC, however I'm seeing that it also has an amp, which wouldn't be all that useful to me as I already have the Mogwai. I think I'd enjoy a warmer/smoother listening experience, but not 100% on that. Does anyone have any DAC recommendations? Having the option for balanced and non-balanced, and other future proofing would be nice.

Also, what kind of termination should I ask for on the cable of the headphones? I originally asked Zach from ZMF for a 3.5mm balanced termination, but realized just recently (after opening the amp) that it was a very bad idea. So I just asked him in an email to switch it to a 1/4" termination instead. However, I'm not sure if it would be better to go 4 XLR > 1/4 adapter.

Your thoughts on all of this would be very appreciated!
Yes change the cable to a 4 pin xlr or 1/4 “ if you are not going to get a balanced amp anytime soon. I chose the 4 pin as I have several amps and make my own adapters. Just a 1/4” would be the obvious choice for you as that is what the Mogwai uses.
On the dac depends on your budget. I love my Amps and Sound Kenzie with my Verite opens from my Yggdrasil as I do like the Multibit sound .

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 23
I would definitely ask Zach to switch to a 1/4" SE termination; no reason to add unnecessary adapters and the 2.5mm balanced will be useless for you unless you're driving them from a DAP.

As for DAC, I use a Chord Qutest to the Pendant, and I've seen quite a few others with this combo. Its an awesome combo and doesn't break the bank, as Qutest can be found used for $1,200 or so. I've also tried a AKM4490-based DAC (which the RME ADI-2 is) with the Pendant and it was very nearly as good. Unless you are into EQ, balance, etc., the ADI-2 might not be the best option at that price. If you are looking for a transparent and neutral option to pair well with the Pendant, can't really beat the Qutest at that price. Otherwise, if you want a slightly-more colored sound, I'd recommend looking at R2R or Multi-Bit DACs, Schiit Yggdrasil is the most popular, but you can also get great options for less than $2k from Metrum and Denafrips.

Thank you! I think I made the decision to pick up a RME ADI-2. :) Appreciate all of the information, it helped a lot.

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 23
Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. I've decided to pick up a RME ADI-2 DAC to compliment. I'm a worried that I'll prefer the RME ADI-2 solid state over the Mogwai tube amp though, which would mean I'd have to sell it so soon after receiving it. We'll have to wait an see.

Sep 30, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 23
Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. I've decided to pick up a RME ADI-2 DAC to compliment. I'm a worried that I'll prefer the RME ADI-2 solid state over the Mogwai tube amp though, which would mean I'd have to sell it so soon after receiving it. We'll have to wait an see.
I think you'll like the RME ADI-2 Dac piece, but I'll be surprised if you prefer the ADI-2 amp over the Mogwai. The ADI-2 amp is decent, but the Mogwai should be better, especially with 300ohm headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #11 of 23
I think you'll like the RME ADI-2 Dac piece, but I'll be surprised if you prefer the ADI-2 amp over the Mogwai. The ADI-2 amp is decent, but the Mogwai should be better, especially with 300ohm headphones.

Hi darmccombs,

Thanks for letting me know, I'm excited to try them. You mentioned that the ADI-2 is decent, which in my books usually means "just okay", would you recommend something else as a step above? My budget is relatively healthy. Thanks again!

Sep 30, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 23
Hi darmccombs,

Thanks for letting me know, I'm excited to try them. You mentioned that the ADI-2 is decent, which in my books usually means "just okay", would you recommend something else as a step above? My budget is relatively healthy. Thanks again!
Well, I mean the dac part of the RME is very good. The amp part drive low impedance headphones pretty well, but just decenlty IMO if the headphones are 300ohm or above.

The RME -> Mogwai combo should be very good.

Sep 30, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #13 of 23
Well, I mean the dac part of the RME is very good. The amp part drive low impedance headphones pretty well, but just decenlty IMO if the headphones are 300ohm or above.

The RME -> Mogwai combo should be very good.

That's great info, thanks for sharing. In order to experience solid state amps as well, are there any good DAC and amp combos that would be better suited for 300ohm headphones? I wouldn't mind having the best of both worlds, especially for the sake of comparison. Really appreciate any recommendations. Would want the DAC side to be equivalent or better in quality.

Oct 1, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #14 of 23
Combos? Only the Violectric V281 and new V590 come to mind. I prefer separates and I think in most cases it's easier to set up a system you want based on separates.

The RME into your Mogwai ought to be pretty outstanding. Set the RME to line-out mode and control volume at the amp.

Oct 1, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #15 of 23
Combos? Only the Violectric V281 and new V590 come to mind. I prefer separates and I think in most cases it's easier to set up a system you want based on separates.

The RME into your Mogwai ought to be pretty outstanding. Set the RME to line-out mode and control volume at the amp.

I'm now a bit hesitant to purchase the RME if the amp side of it will not be good for my ZMF Verite Closed cans. I'm happy to explore separates, that was my original preference. My budget for a quality DAC is $2-3K. Will the V590 allow me to set it to line-out mode to control the volume through the Mogwai amp? Also, is the V590 going to be comparable to the RME DAC?

I'm very sorry for all the questions. I've been shifting through so many related forum topics, but it's still difficult to determine what my best option is.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back