Puppy Chewed ER-4p - Here is what was inside the earphone
Nov 13, 2009 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

TLC

New Head-Fier
Bad day - the new puppy, at 8 months old, became confused and was uncertain if he wanted a chew toy or music. He found a way to get both. Not a total loss - he did find a way to open the case, so I completed the disassembly of the most-chewed iem using a scalpel to peel away layers.

What was inside? What appears to be a now-crushed Knowles ED-29689 driver. See pics below of happy puppy and sad earphone. Haven't peeled away the epoxy or glue that sealed the unit, and the driver can be seen stuck in this compound. Very well cemented into the housing, with the output end sealed with silicone. Just thought it was interesting enough to post.
pup.jpg

iem.jpg

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 16
I think I'm going to stop leaving my Im-590s laying around the floor now(I have a cat who can rather frisky at times, and has a interest in cables from time to time)

The puppy really does look happy...

I also coming into this thread planning to make some kind of joke about the puppy being confused and just wanting music, but TLC beat me to it, though I think he had a unfair advantage seeing as how it was the first post for the thread... :p

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seufari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My roommate's dog chewed up my UM2s... I feel your pain...

What is more interesting is that UM2 treble unit is the same as ER4.

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #9 of 16
Makes sense. Go with what's liked. That's a smart way to do things.

I'd LOVE to know more drivers used in all of these BA earphones. It unfortunately requires a bit of destruction and loss of product to do.

I'd like to take the treble unit from the TF10 and stick it in the UM3X.
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #10 of 16
oh man, now I don't want to get a dog anymore - I'll have to put away all my gadgets.

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehe, poor thing, i remember how i reacted when my minipin ate a pair of brand new addidas hightops, i really miss that mutt,

LOL my thoughts exactly.

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #14 of 16
Does the puppy sound better? You know better highs and a throated bark?
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you going to rename him/her Ety?

Just kidding. That cute puppy is well worth the phones.

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh man, now I don't want to get a dog anymore - I'll have to put away all my gadgets.

Just gotta be the pack leader and they won't touch them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back