Punchy bass 3gs- Re0 (ibasso T3?)
May 25, 2010 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

petervii

New Head-Fier
Hello and thank you for everything head-fiers!
I have a 3gs...which i consider to be an ok source(bad EQ aside) and don't want to change it.
i also have several headphones-iems  i mainly use
  -addiems(convenience /ok bass with shure olive tips)
 -RE0's (excellent clarity-high end)
What i would like to have is punchy bass -more than the amount that would make the REO on iphone flat, and preferably keep the re0's as my main iem

What i've already tried is:
    -iphone EQ / terrible results,distortion (EQing after applying MP3gain -10db also not good enough) 
    - fiio e5 / Good step towards the right direction with the bass boost on
    -going back to sennheiser cx400 (No... can't do it!)

So i was considering one of the following options:
  1.Buying a lod + an amp with bass boost better(more actually) than the E5's
    Is that the ibasso T3? Maybe the E7? the cmoy BB?   another amp under 130$ with variable bass boost?
  2.Buying the hippo vb

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

May 25, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 15
You could also use the acoustic setting which is a basic loudness curve, emphasising high treble and low bass. The T3 has no bass boost other than unloading the original signal from weak sources. The 3GS shouldn't be a source that needs the T3 with any dynamic earphone, but if you don't get enough volume with the RE0, then the T3 is a great amp - great amp.

May 25, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #3 of 15
Thanks a lot!  It was stupid of me to think the extra switch was a bass boost without checking.
No i get sufficient volume out of my 3gs-sound cards-mbook pro- but all of my cans-iems are bass shy.
I used the acoustic eq setting when i had cx300 and was getting distortion but i did not mind because my ears were untrained.Boosting the high trebles of RE0 with an iphone has unacceptable results.
So dynamic drivers benefit less from amping? maybe a source with a better eq is more useful than an amp after all.

May 25, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 15
Well, dynamics don't put as much strain on the output of the source. Balanced armatures have violent impedance swings that can wreck havoc on the output of the same daps. Dynamics tend to maybe roll off the bass of a DAP, but only usually when less than 50Ω, and even then, only really audible when 32 or fewer Ω. 

The 3GS has no trouble with that, but if you want bass, you may try for an amp with bass boost. Drive-wise the 3GS should be okay, but sadly, that person EQ is sucky, eh? 

May 25, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #5 of 15
the eq is pretty close to useless.Something custom or subtractive in principle would be a nice step up.I have a million reasons for keeping the 3gs as a source and a major one to just go buy a cowon i9.
I want a better fiio e1 with bass boost to plug in my RE0's... if only i could build it myself...

May 25, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #6 of 15
RE0 does sound better with an amp (of course it also depends on the output of the source). It gains better dynamic and tighten up the bass.

May 25, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #7 of 15
Depending on your budget, though i think this may be a bit high but the $250 Headstage Arrow HE has a switchable bass boost upto 12db which i imagine is huge.
A little more wallet friendly is the Fiio E7 as you mentioned. i was reading a thread saying the final production version has an increased bass boost than the samples that are in the wild. great value the E7 is seeing as it has a DAC inside but i'm not sure how comparable the sound is to the Arrow as i haven't heard either myself just going on price really. 

May 25, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #8 of 15
THanks LintHart! The arrow would probably be a good choice but $250?
And (not to sound too stalkery) ClieOS thanks for jumping in, i've been reading your threads long before i become a poster and i think you are most suitable to answer to the following...
What of the 3 would you think would make the most noticable difference?
1.The E7 out of a LOD?  
2.another bass boost amp <150$
3.hippos-klipsch's-ie8's (a bassy iem...)(would not prefer this since i have many bass chalenged headphones)

[I don't need a DAC, i work on prof. sound cards and have the apogee one for portability,but if fiio E7 is such a bang fot the buck...]

if i had to choose...  e7-ibasso t4-cmoy bb??(and is the final retail version of e7 available for sale or isn't it yet finalized?)

May 25, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #9 of 15
IMO E7 is compatible to T4 level of SQ, so if you are not looking for a DAC then T4 might make a better choice for its size. However, T4 bass boost only a good sense of warm and a better body to the bass, not as big as E7's adjustable bass. T4 bass boost is more than enough for me but some might still find it lacking since it isn't really basshead level of boosting. (only 3dB IIRC). For overall performance, T3 is ahead of T4 because it is more balanced and extended on the top end. Though it doesn't have a bass boost, it does have a good kicking bass. If you use it with RE0, you will still get a tighten up bass, but without the extra warm and body. On the upside, RE0 with T3 has better transparency and treble extension. So based on my experience, get E7 if you can live with the size and want the bang of buck factor; T4 for its warmer bass and smoother top, T3 for its overall balance and transparency. For what you described, T4 could very well fit what you need.

Can't really offer you any advise about cmoyBB since I have not heard it.

May 25, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #10 of 15
You already have considered that with the money you'll spend on amp + lod, is enough to buy a Triple.fi 10? I have a 3g 32gb iPod Touch and I say that you do not need to turn the EQ on the iPod to manage to have bass with quality (high definition, attack, punch and bass that goes really low).
I tell you that you have the advantage of getting a system with very good quality and that is truly portable ... I do running with it..
ksc75smile.gif

May 25, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 15
That is something you shouldn't even mention because i'm very jealous and i can't afford them! They are 400$  and i would gladly trade all my iems (including my expensive shure e5c's) for the triple fi's...
i could go for the SuperFi 5vi but i don't think they'll dp the trick would they? 

May 26, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
That is something you shouldn't even mention because i'm very jealous and i can't afford them! They are 400$  and i would gladly trade all my iems (including my expensive shure e5c's) for the triple fi's...
i could go for the SuperFi 5vi but i don't think they'll dp the trick would they? 

Please search ebay you'll find at 160 USD more or less......

May 26, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #13 of 15
Ok i know there is a search button and i've read like a million pages so i'll be very specific hoping on getting your personal opinions:
Best bass( and acceptable overall SQ)
1. 3GS > LOD > cmoy BB  > RE0's         or
2. (Unamped) 3GS > Hippo VB's

May 26, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #14 of 15
I think Cryo cables helps to get more bass with these IEMs and iBasso sell Cryo dock cables for 3Gs. So you will get good deal on cable and T3 is great AMPs(3Gs EQ will work ok through some Amplifications..

May 31, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #15 of 15
Hello,just wanted to post my opinion for someone who might be interested.
I tried some amps,and though i will be getting one soon because some of my important cans-iems are not properly driven,i also got the hippo vb's after research.
I don't think i'll be using another pair of headphones for portable use. ever.And they're not yet fully burned in.
Easy to be driven by a DAP-laptop without an amp too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back