Pulling the Trigger on K501s...
Jul 10, 2008 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Rise To The Top

1000+ Head-Fier
I have my eye heavily set on a pair of K501s (new), and have everything together to snag them. Before I get them though, how well do they go with the CKK3 (bass wise), and should I get them balanced on the spot, or use them for a bit and see how I like em?

Jul 10, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 7
I would use them for a bit and then balance them if I were you.

I'm planning on selling my pair, if you're interested.
I bought them new from the guy on eBay and there is around 150-200 hours on them.
I'm thinking $160 + shipping w/ original box etc.
PM me if interested.

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have my eye heavily set on a pair of K501s (new), and have everything together to snag them. Before I get them though, how well do they go with the CKK3 (bass wise), and should I get them balanced on the spot, or use them for a bit and see how I like em?

RTTT,
The K501 are an acquired taste, for sure. But once acquired, they are quite difficult to do without. Their midrange coherency is unparalleled among mid-fi offerings, IMHO; for vocals they're without peer.

Like DW, I am x2 for trying them single-ended first, then if you like them enough get them balanced. Although I have never heard them balanced, I'm not sure how well they "scale up" as the result. (Not as well as the HD650, or so I've read w/r/to the K701.)

After about 300-400 hours they should really open up. But bass-tipped they are not. They're essentially all about an exceptionally well balanced and well integrated midrange.
PAB

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks, I can't wait till they come in!

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 7
I ordered a new set off ebay last week, and hoping they get dropped in the mail today from the seller.

I'm rather interested in how they'll sound once I pull them out of the box and get a few hours on them.

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 7
The hallmark of good audio equipment is the absence of coloration so you may be less overwhelmed than you hope to be because their claim to fame is less rather than more.

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 7
The K-501 does well with the CK2III, but I haven't heard either balanced yet. Personally, I think the K-501 does much better with a tube amp. Solid state is alright for mids, vocals and acoustic. But tubes in a quality amp are unmatched for the mids. Coupled with the K-501 they're almost unbeatable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back