Pulled Trigger on Woo 3
Mar 25, 2011 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jdmeyers

New Head-Fier
Hey Folks.

No real reason to post except to say that, after a chat with Jack and reading many posts here, I put in my order for a WA3 to pair with my beloved HD650s (with Blue Dragon cable).

In the past, I have owned Singlepower PPX3 Slam, Mapletree HD+, Earmax Pro -- all great amps in their own way with the Senns.  I've been a Senn guy for 40+ years (no joke) and to my ears (and wallet), the 650s are the end of the line! 

Unless someone suggests otherwise, I will use the stock tubes for the first 100 hours or so to let the amp burn in and then try a set of three others.  Plenty of knowledgable WA3 folks have offered their recommendations for what to get in other posts, but feel free if you so wish!  My late night listening will be to Dark Stars (circa '69-'74 naturally), Miles, Bach, and 13th century vocal pieces.

My only question is whether it's worth the extra money for the Blackgates, or should I spend it instead on tubes?  Can't afford both right now sadly.

Peace.

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 2
Congrats - welcome to the Land of Woo!

I would go for tubes over the caps myself. An RCA 6AS7G (fairly inexpensive) and some Amperex Holland Bugle Boy or Orange Globe 6DJ8's will get you started without spending a ton of money. There are a large variety of Dutch and US Amperex 6922's that a lot more expensive as well as Tung Sol 5998 power tube which is also getting expensive. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back