Puccini's Nessun Dorma - which is your favourite version?
Mar 29, 2009 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

lyricalmoments

100+ Head-Fier
This is one of my favourite arias and just like to hear from you guys which are your favourite versions /tenors who have sung it. Yes, we know that's one of Pavarotti's greatest hits, but he's not my favourite. Heard a few versions, just feel that he tends to over sing.

I personally like Franco Corelli's version, his voice really commands and delivers straight to the point.

What about you guys?

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 21
Domingo.
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 21
Well, I'll always pick Pavarotti but Corelli would be my second choice. I also like Giuseppe Di Stefano. Of course, one can only imagine what Caruso's rendition would have sounded like if he had lived long enough to record it.

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 21
In case you haven't seen it.........
Amatuer Paul Potts sings Nessun Dorma on TV talent show "Britian's Got Talent" even Simon Cowel is impressed
wink_face.gif

Paul Potts

As far as professional opera singers I have only heard a couple so can't give an informed opinion

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 21
Pavarotti is still my favourite. Besides his studio recordings, I also have a live recording of his on a budget CD which I bought in a convenience store(!) in Italy many years. The orchestral accompaniment is terrible and the recording is very "raw" but the final notes of that aria sends a chill down my spine everytime I hear it.

Franco Corelli's version is also superb.

Apr 2, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #9 of 21
Apr 2, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandrakespain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This particular version by Pavarotti in Caracalla (Italy) has to be my favourite:

YouTube - Pavarotti -Nessun Dorma- 7/7/1990 Roma

In this case, it is very difficult for me to look further, but I will be following this thread...

Beautiful orchestral setting in the ancient ruins..........Pavarotti has great range in his voice especially in the lower registers which makes the highs even more impressive, powerful voice yet nice emotional projection and caressing of words. When was Pavarotti at his peak vocal years?

Paul Potts by comparison is much more static with a restricted total vocal range.......but to general TV audience he made an impression
wink_face.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beautiful orchestral setting in the ancient ruins..........Pavarotti has great range in his voice especially in the lower registers which makes the highs even more impressive, powerful voice yet nice emotional projection and caressing of words. When was Pavarotti at his peak vocal years?

Paul Potts by comparison is much more static with a restricted total vocal range.......but to general TV audience he made an impression
wink_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Early 70's to late 80's.

I'm not sure exactly when Pavarotti's vocal range began to show wear, but I do know that by the '80s he had problems with the high notes, sometimes missing them in performance. By the 90s he was already having his recitals, and perhaps even some of his opera performances, pitched lower to ensure that he hit the "high notes," a practice that was gleefully outed in the age of the internet when listeners with perfect pitch blogged about it after his performance at the Torino Olympics.

What Pavarotti did have was an incomparable vocal timbre that was like honey in the sunlight -- warm and viscous, and gleaming like silk -- and the ability to touch the emotions. He popularized an art form that had become a niche for the intellectuals. Unfortunately, the lack of early training showed up in his limited acting ability, and poor understanding of the music he was singing. Perhaps that is why he befriended Bocelli, another talented "amateur" who cannot read music, and whose interpretive skills leave much to be desired.

Apr 5, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #15 of 21
Re: Pavarotti
Quote:

Unfortunately, the lack of early training showed up in his limited acting ability, and poor understanding of the music he was singing. Perhaps that is why he befriended Bocelli, another talented "amateur" who cannot read music, and whose interpretive skills leave much to be desired.

There have been a lot of artists who could not read music. Whether or not this creates a deficit in understanding the music is debateable. There is more to understanding (and interpreting) music than being able to read notes. I would also argue that there are many people who can read music but don't have a clue about it.

As far as his acting ability, I don't know if early training would have helped. In the old days the main focus was the singing, with acting as an afterthought. Callas was probably one of the first singers who had the whole package. Nowadays, IMHO, too much emphasis is spent on acting and not enough on singing. Of course in many instances, the acting is focused on to make up for the singer's vocal deficits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back