Psyko Audio "5.1" Headphones
Feb 6, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #31 of 57
Counter-strike makes sense for a game where 5.1 surround sound would help, since a lot of it is listening for enemy footsteps, especially in maps like CS_Office. With 5.1 surround sound, I'd assume this would make it easier to figure out where the footsteps are coming from.

As for call of duty and other similar games, I actually find that sound is kind of unimportant. I play very well with no sound at all in those games.

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #32 of 57
Sorry to bump was I was just reading up on these ''phones.

Anyway, for Counter Strike Source, Dolby Headphone is fantastically good for tracking. However what Dolby Headphone lacks in which forced EAX via Creative cards has is conveying very close sounds well. Also Dolby Headphone doesn't account for environment objects as much, which is both a positive and a negative. Positive as in gaming advantage, negative as in realistic sound conveying.

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by danmagicman7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do agree with that.

This headphone is for gamers that drop $500-600 when a new video card comes out without even thinking about it.

Or for the average head fiers of course.

I must say I have pretty much ignored this thread before but the concept surely is interesting. My experience have been mixed. The Zalman 5.1 headphones with 4 drivers actually outside the cups do tive a better surround sound. Cost is absolutely horrible sound quality.

Kinyo 5.1 even came with it´s handy little amp and sounded really good actually as in on par with Koss Porta PROs and some cheaper Grados and Philips but not very good surround since every driver was in the cups.

As for the price it has to sound decent anyway like the Kinyos to be considered. Doesn´t help if they do great surround but doesn´t sound natural at all. I do hope it´s not one of the headsets where they tweak the response to make foot steps and such more easier heard like many gaming headsets do...

Will take much to spend 299$ for such a headphone... I mean you get some serious hi fi headphones for that price or even this QPAD Products - Corporate-Shop - QPAD®|QH-1339 Professional gaming headset - News

I do trust beyer a bit more for building durable headphones but surely I wouldn´t say no if there is such a thing possible as a headphone with decent sound quality and as good if not better surround then with 5.1 speakers.

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #36 of 57
Psyko Audiolabs Psyko 5.1 : 5 Surround Sound Headsets

A roundup of gaming headsets - including hands on impressions of the Psycho. Not the most in depth review but they do seem to rate it above Dolby Headphone for surround effect.

We're still waiting from a proper review on an audiophile or AV site.

Edit: The word D'oh springs to mind. Darn search function...

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #37 of 57
Honestly, I've been keeping a close eye on these for a while. I think I'll purchase a pair around December. Hopefully by then, there will be a few reviews of em here on Head-Fi. Looks like Psyko has something going, and I can almost guarantee they're better sound quality wise than most other 5.1's (Turtlebeach, Dolby etc.) I'd at least like to try them out, they seem pretty legit IMO. Who knows, could just be another scam.

Sep 5, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #40 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Psyko Audiolabs Psyko 5.1 : 5 Surround Sound Headsets

A roundup of gaming headsets - including hands on impressions of the Psycho. Not the most in depth review but they do seem to rate it above Dolby Headphone for surround effect.

We're still waiting from a proper review on an audiophile or AV site.

Edit: The word D'oh springs to mind. Darn search function...

amazing review didn´t even touch what they sounded like lol

It would be interesting how well it actually works. But 300$ you get some damn fine stereo headphones for that amount. And it would be interesting to see what would be the best 300 buck for the SVS virtualizer or this. Would be interesting if something like Pro 900 and SVS could possibly beat this for 5.1 surround (not binaural)

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
amazing review didn´t even touch what they sounded like lol

It would be interesting how well it actually works. But 300$ you get some damn fine stereo headphones for that amount. And it would be interesting to see what would be the best 300 buck for the SVS virtualizer or this. Would be interesting if something like Pro 900 and SVS could possibly beat this for 5.1 surround (not binaural)

Lol, I was thinking the same thing. We need a head-fier to pick a pair of these up to get an adequate review!
happy_face1.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #42 of 57
I have later realized that the SVS virtualizer is what 3000$ so it´s perhaps not fair to compare lol

Oct 7, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #43 of 57
To anyone interested, I will be getting my psyko headphones in real soon and will be posting comments about them. I will be comparing them to Dolby Headphone as well as my home theater set-up. The connection will be from the pre-outs on the back of my receiver. I don't have 5.1 soundcard but I will be using my yamaha receiver to test it out, instead.

Some of the test material will be aged making the comparison much more challenging in order to study how each system portrays dialogue material that is scratchy, distorted and sometimes inaudible.. I'll be using spoken work recordings to see just a how dialogue is positioned as well or dolby surround tracks, music tracks, and 5.1 tracks. I will be using special adapters with the 5.1 jacks so that they can be plugged into my reciever which has 5.1 preouts which can output 5.1 channels to an external amplifier. The sound will be coming from a digital output on back my dvd player using Y splitter connection with both cords going to two audio sources. One cord will be hooked directly to digital input on my philips dolby headphone amplifier to my standard headphones, the other cord will be plugged into the receiver which will than convert the digital signals into unamplified analog signals coming from 5.1 preouts than sent to the psyko amp then to the headphones. So you pretty much have direct coaxial signal, vs a direct coaxial signal converted to 5.1 analog signals. Obviously from what of hear out of both signals the analog signal is not as clear as direct coaxial signal, but dolby headphone dsp processing blankets so much of the clarity from the direct coaxial signal that the analog signal through the wave guide which uses no dsp processing maybe a much cleaner sound for a better comparison.

Oct 7, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #44 of 57
Cool did you buy them or get to demo them
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #45 of 57
I like that amp is included ... that's about it, they're really really ugly and they might not be ideal for a website of audiophiles and dilettantes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back